Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to divorce and sharing kids

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• New to divorce and sharing kids

I wasn’t sure where to post this. Does anyone here been divorced and share joint custody with ex?

We have. 4,5 and 6 week old daughters together. The 4 and 5 go to their dads every other week and the baby we share on a 2-2-3 schedule. I have never been without my kids for a week at a time like this. I miss them a lot when they are gone. Does this get easier??

• Hi Kaja,

I am not in your situation but have friends who are. It is actually a rather common situation these days. I cannot imagine that it will ever get easier in terms of missing your kids when they're gone. And you will many times feel left out like you're missing out on important things in their lives. It WILL be hard. And right now, with a 6-week old especially. I know that it would gut me each time I had to say goodbye. My goodness, you are not even past the post-partum hormonal stage yet so I can imagine that this all seems even worse to you now.

After a while, you will begin to build a new life for yourself. You will find things you can do and thoroughly enjoy both when the kids are there and when they are not. You will start to find things that you truly look forward to doing when they're not there.

And the best part? Those things and that time will make you a happier, healthier and more well-rounded momma to those sweet babies. A bad marriage makes both parents unhappy and unhealthy people for their children. The notion that keeping a family together is more important than happiness is WRONG. Your kids deserve to see you BOTH at your best, even if that means doing so apart.

I believe the key for you will be working very hard to maintaining a positive and co-parent relationship with your ex. Many couples get caught up in the hurt and anger of their divorce and are just not able to put that to the side. As a result, they make the situation MUCH harder on each other than it needs to be and no one wins in that situation.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I second Ashlee T.'s post.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to AC7

My experience with processed foods is that they are a likely cause for weight gain even if you are keeping your calories down. Weight gain and blood sugar...

Today, 04:19 PM By jns
      • Reply to AC7

BTW, have you ever tried raw cacao? It's what chocolate is made from. I've had the whole beans and the powder, but my favorite is the nibs.

Today, 03:55 PM By Stillness
      • Reply to AC7

Me too. I got sick and haven't been following my normal routine.

I try not to sweat it too much, though. Whenever I feel like it I can drop...

Today, 03:51 PM By Stillness
      • Period every five months or so

I've been to four gynecologists in the past year and none know what to tell me. My last period was in January and before that was September. I was on...

Today, 02:36 PM By veronicak5678
      • Two Periods in One Month

I'm a bit worried but on (May 2nd) I got my period, everything was normal it ended on (May 7). One week later I got my period again and now it's still...

Today, 01:22 PM By Confusedgirl007

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X