Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gender Identity, Expression, and Why It Matters – Discuss

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Look -- if we are going to go endlessly back and forth because our minds will simply never be changed, we should pretty much shelve any additional discussion and let it be.

Here is what I will say -- to answer Stillness, YES! You actually can have a "partial" male and a "partial" female couple create life!!

Did you not read the article? Did you not read the supporting article about a MAN (who BTW thought he was 100% MAN), have ovaries? This was a man with FOUR children! Wait..if he has ovaries, what % would you assign to him as a male/female?

Is he still 100% male because he presented as such for his entire life, AND had children? Or because he has ovaries, would you say he was 50% male and 50% female?

Science is already backing that there is a spectrum, it would be introspective and loving of all of us to do the same -- the evidence is staring us right in the face.

Comment

• JonnyR is right on. Thank you for reading this article and making the effort to understand. It is not a black and white issue. The writer of this article dug deep to share her own personal story with us, her own journey of learning, understanding, and acceptance.

Once upon a time, we would've been having this same discourse on gay people.......before that, even interracial dating. It sounds absurd now that we would ever need to debate or defend that, and to those of us who have already opened our minds, debating and defending this is equally absurd. Additionally, I must say this:

"That's believable and if so would make an even stronger case for them being deserving of understanding and compassion" - EVERYONE is deserving of understanding and compassion, perceived case or no case. Whether they fit into your box or not. Whether they accommodate your religious (or lack of) beliefs or not. Whether they look like you, think like you, believe like you, or not. Whether you can relate, or not.

We aren't here to try to "sell you" or debate with you on gender identity. There is nothing to debate. We are giving you credible and factual information to open your mind, to learn, to grow, to be empowered. Whether you do or do not will be your choice.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• There was just a ruling overturned on the case of Caster Semenya this week. So it is literally a matter of international debate. We're all learning.

But I wasn't trying to debate. Just discuss. It seems like some feathers are getting ruffled. That wasn't my goal, so I'll bow out. I wish you all the best.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Are we talking about physical, biological anomalies-someone born with sexual organs of both sexes, or are we talking about gender identity?

They are not the same thing, necessarily.
          **eta-I guess I should say, "gender identity" as is the socially, politically charged topic that is so prominent in the US culture currently.

Some clarity on what we're discussing would be beneficial here.
          Last edited by atskitty2; 06-06-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            Are we talking about physical, biological anomalies-someone born with sexual organs of both sexes, or are we talking about gender identity?

They are not the same thing, necessarily.
            ********eta-I guess I should say, "gender identity" as is the socially, politically charged topic that is so prominent in the US culture currently.

Some clarity on what we're discussing would be beneficial here.
            The intent of the post is in the original post. It was never intended as a debate on whether these real people and their real experiences are valid or not.

As the original post asks, I am truly interested in hearing from folks who have experienced part or all of the contents of the article in some way:

"Do you feel that your gender identity, or the way you express it, falls outside of the “norm”? Maybe you have a friend or family member you're concerned about?

Have you – or a loved one – ever felt pressured to look or act a certain way because of your gender identity? Perhaps someone close to you is transitioning?"
            Last edited by Ashlee T.; 06-06-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I second your post, Ashlee T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                I read a fair bit of that article. Maybe I’m just too old school, but the way it’s presented I feel like I need a degree in psychology to understand the basics of human sexuality. It can’t be this complicated.
                It’s more complicated than most people realize.
                Take me, for example.
                In the ‘80s, I had a friend/partner who wanted to find out why I had to shave on a daily basis. Turns out that my testosterone is as high as a man’s, even though my secondary sexual development is that of a female.
                I’ve often wondered what a DNA test would reveal, but not curious enough to actually get one done.

I am a demisexual who is mostly attracted to women, though my experience has shown me that it’s the person that I’m attracted to & fall in love with, not the body they’re in. I was involved with a female-to-male transsexual for a period of time. I loved him so much that our breakup emotionally devastated me, leading me to my first inpatient psychological treatment.

To this day, I love him more than I can express in words. Mark, if you’re reading this, please respond.

I’d like to know how you’re doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post

Wouldn't that be amazing! If we could all see each other as MrMr described during combat, as people, as family, etc.
                  I see someone as who they are inside. When I was younger, I was bullied for this, to the point that when I left for school, I didn’t know if I’d be home in the evening, or hospitalized (or dead).

My psychiatrist refers to it as “battlefield PTSD”, since, for seven years, my life, when going to and coming home from school, was always in danger.
                  No one should have to live like that!

I guess that’s why I defend those who are disabled and/or elderly so vehemently.

Botton line: It’s the person inside the body of who matters, not the suit of skin they happen to find themselves in...and it is really that simple.

Comment

• I absolutely agree, Lakewolf Whitecrow.

I am sorry for what you went through. You should never have been targeted for being you are were and who you are. You're right to defend those going through similar abuse and general nastiness. Because no one should be bullied for being different.

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lakewolf Whitecrow View Post

I see someone as who they are inside. When I was younger, I was bullied for this, to the point that when I left for school, I didn’t know if I’d be home in the evening, or hospitalized (or dead).

My psychiatrist refers to it as “battlefield PTSD”, since, for seven years, my life, when going to and coming home from school, was always in danger.
                      No one should have to live like that!

I guess that’s why I defend those who are disabled and/or elderly so vehemently.

Botton line: It’s the person inside the body of who matters, not the suit of skin they happen to find themselves in...and it is really that simple.
                      We agree!

Sometimes, a person's face will pop into my head that I haven't seen for nearly 20 years and I will remember scenes from childhood where that person was bullied. When I was younger, I did not stand up for them. I did not participate in what was done to them, but I consider myself no better than the bully because I did not speak up. I was painfully shy. Anyway, I still have flashbacks of those things, remembering even the look on the kids face when the bully or bullies were doing whatever they were doing. Hurt, embarassment, misery, pain. Although, once I got a bit older (middle and high school) I began actively defending the bullied, I never forgot about what happened to some of the kids in elementary school. And if I'm still thinking about it, I'm certain they are, too.

I'm sorry you went through something so severe that you feared for your life. You are right, no one should have to live like that.

I am so proud of parents who teach their kids that it is okay to be different and that a person should never be treated differently because of how they look, what gender they identify with, what their biological sex is, what their sexual orientation is, etc. I do think that someday, we will look back on topics such as these and feel baffled that we ever cared.

Glad you're here.

Comment

• Thank you for explaining this. It seems there are so many gender differences these days and it can be very confusing. I don't even think about which gender a person is anymore. I just focus on the individual and their needs, feelings, etc.
                        Summer suggested reading: Josette Sona's free book: Woman to Women.

Comment

• That's a great approach, Lucille!

Comment

• I agree with you, Lucille. Everyone is an individual and should not need a label.

All are different, all are great.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Today, 09:59 AM By lp84
                            • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
                            • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
                            • Reply to ***Ladies reaction to men at a nude beach/pool***

The term “business process” is used to describe the organization and structure of interrelated actions of company employees with the only purpose...

07-20-2019, 01:51 AM By driiols
                            • Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Last night I didn't notice my g/f hadn't shaved in a while. I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't of brought it to my attention.

07-19-2019, 06:42 PM By WaveRider

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Today, 09:59 AM By lp84
                            • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
                            • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
                            • Introduction

Hello Everyone!
                              I am new to this forum.

06-27-2019, 04:40 AM By linakhonde
                            • motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously...

07-13-2019, 11:32 AM By amy40
                            Working...
                            X