Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvey Weinstein Convicted

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Harvey Weinstein Convicted

I am putting this here because I don't see a good category for negative subjects. I saw in the news that Harvey Weinstein was convicted of some of the charges against him including rape and criminal sexual assault. He sounds like a woman's worst nightmare to deal with when trying to get a job in the movie industry. I hope that most women do not have to deal with someone like him ever in their lives. Comments?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

• Yes. I'd say he's definitely more of an extreme. However, most women will tell you that experiencing sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and even some form of sexual assault is almost like par for the course for us. Most of us become so accustomed to this behavior that unless we're flat out assaulted, we just roll right through it. Becoming desensitized to this type of thing is definitely NOT a good thing but it has been like a survival method for many women whether in the workplace, in the gym, or simply walking down the sidewalk.

If we don't speak - it's our fault for not speaking.
    If we do speak - we're attention seeking feminists (think the #metoo movement)

Google "this must-see video shows just how much pressure women are under every day" for an interesting but very, very accurate representation of the pressures (mostly sexual) faced by women on a daily basis. Disclaimer: this doesn't mean we don't think men face pressures too, but it is important to recognize the vast difference in them.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• jns We have created a new category for this: https://www.womens-health.com/boards.../social-issues

Social Issues!

Post away!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Fernandez View Post
        jns We have created a new category for this: https://www.womens-health.com/boards.../social-issues

Social Issues!

Post away!
        I moved this topic there. Thank you.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
          Yes. I'd say he's definitely more of an extreme. However, most women will tell you that experiencing sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and even some form of sexual assault is almost like par for the course for us. Most of us become so accustomed to this behavior that unless we're flat out assaulted, we just roll right through it. Becoming desensitized to this type of thing is definitely NOT a good thing but it has been like a survival method for many women whether in the workplace, in the gym, or simply walking down the sidewalk.

If we don't speak - it's our fault for not speaking.
          If we do speak - we're attention seeking feminists (think the #metoo movement)

Google "this must-see video shows just how much pressure women are under every day" for an interesting but very, very accurate representation of the pressures (mostly sexual) faced by women on a daily basis. Disclaimer: this doesn't mean we don't think men face pressures too, but it is important to recognize the vast difference in them.

This is an indictment on the actions that a lot of men take. Pretty horrible actions. I would prefer that those men doing such actions quit, apologize and be remorseful. I find good men apologizing for the actions of bad men kind of strange.

Comment

• Do the crime, do the time.

Comment

• I agree with Ashlee. I think women have it rough, and men-the ones that care-have a rough time trying to navigate the waters between being kind, and being considered slime.
              My friend told me a situation recently where he'd left a meeting with a female intern, that he does respect, and he IS making efforts to keep her on board. He said he told her he'd walk her back to her office...which he quickly realized was an inappropriate thing to do, and he'd not have done this for a male intern, or colleague. He said she'd given him an odd look, so after he and I chatted about it, he did go to her the following day and talk about it and ultimately apologized. He said she tried to minimize it, play it down. He stood his ground and tried to reinforce with her that this type of thing is what men need to avoid...etc.

Men cannot compliment a woman, not even innocently (impersonally) and genuinely. And I feel that I can't offer certain kinds of encouragement or compliments to my male counterparts any more either.

The tension in our culture between the genders is astronomically high, from my perspective. It's sad, and it's difficult for us all, and unfortunately a necessary part of the growing process to move away from these behaviors.

Comment

• It goes to show, justice isn't blind.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X