• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

skinny shaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skinny shaming

Thoughts?
    experience?
    observation?

funny you should mention this ....
    on our news this week, they said obesity rate may not be going down due to more "acceptance"

​​​

Comment

I can believe it.

I have heard the terminology for awhile now, and this weekend I had a short discussion about it with one of my former International students. He was shocked that there could be such a thing, as in his world, being healthy is important, and being heavy is just not accepted by most.

I have had back handed insults come my way about being weak and thin, and criticism made of my dietary choices, etc, etc, how shallow I must be to have such concern for weight, etc. Some of these folks know full well that my goal and drive is primarily for health, not weight. I weighed much more prior to the onset of illness.

It always struck me as sad, not offensive or angering. Shame isn't something that I feel about my body image. I'm glad to be thin and healthy and I'm thankful that isn't part of the health battle I have to fight.
      is it hurtful? not really...only in the sense that I wish people would mind their own as much as they mind my business. One woman even told me my *** has a great shape, it just needs another 25 pounds. I laughed at her and said I like my behind just as it is. That's sad. Wonder if she'd have told another girl her butt would be great if she lost 25#.

There are some articles out there, people who argue that skinny shaming isn't bad, as fat shaming is.
      What do you think? same? different?

any experience?

Comment

I've never been skinny. I came out of the womb with some weight on me, so I don't have first hand experience on the skinny side.

As far as which one is worse, I think it depends on the situation and the culture. The ideal human weight as far as health and attractiveness is going to tend towards a more slim build as opposed to a fat one, so, unless they're deathly thin, a skinny person has that in their favor. And no matter how much society accepts being overweight, look at how much focus there is towards slimming down. When is the last time someone said, "I want to be fatter."
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
          When is the last time someone said, "I want to be fatter."
          I have heard it said from some women because as one ages, collagen disappears from the face. If you look at Christie Brinkley and have also seen it in print, she is happy to have some weight on her, especially in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            how shallow I must be to have such concern for weight, etc.One woman even told me my ****** has a great shape, it just needs another 25 pounds. ?
            ok , that's just weird.
            Are these people you work with?

Comment

yes. women I work with.

I don't know when we became so unconcerned with health that being fat would be encouraged, so as to support a person's body image. And now, additionally to snub those seeking to stay healthy and make good choices for their bodies.

I don't get it. Apparently it's a culture thing, and considered another method of bullying.

I don't support making fun of anyone, heavy or thin. Truth is, I'm not even "thin" I'm just a healthy weight. I have a medium bone structure and have plenty of meat and fat, I'm not frail or weakly looking, I don't think. I guess next to someone carrying an extra 50-100 pounds I seem thin to their eye.
              I also realized that they can try to bully me, but I have confidence and feel good about my choices so it just wouldn't work on me.

Anyway, I read some articles that thin shaming is not really as bad as shaming fat people.
              Last edited by atskitty2; 03-09-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

It has always seemed like skinny women come with a free pass for comments, whether positive or negative. Sort of like pregnant women. Totally unacceptable in my opinion. When you're thin, people feel at liberty to comment on it "eat a burger!!" or "men like women with curves!", but if you're overweight, it's totally unacceptable for someone to make comments about it.
                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Attacking anyone's self confidence is terrible. Don't make fun of skinny people to show how accepting you are of fat people, because that still makes you an **** hole.

Comment

it seems like shorter people also have this to deal with. It seems acceptable to make jokes about that, for many people.
                    Exceptionally tall people too...

Maybe it's just anyone outside our middle ground, or average that makes us (generally) uncomfortable.
                    I think the average women's clothing size is 14 in the US?

Comment

Next time someone tells me to gain 40 pounds because I'm cold in a drafty, poorly heated workplace...it's really irritating.

When they are sweaty and miserable in 75° weather, I'm going to, just as proud and bold, tell them they need to drop 40 pounds.

I guess what really gets me, is it always seems to be the people that typically whine about how insensitive comments are made...maybe I wouldn't even notice otherwise because I really don't care that much.
                      Since I don't intend to stay with this company, I'll just go ahead and be rude enough to say something back to them. It may be fun!
                      Last edited by atskitty2; 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Different company, same thing. Being rude back doesn't seem to fit your personality. Besides, you may screw up any reference you may need for your next job. Do you have a small electric space heater? Those who got cold at work used them even though they were officially frowned upon. There are some very small ones these days that won't load the electric circuit too much.
                        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Jns, I can be rude when someone is rude to me. It's not typical for me to be this stirred by mindless comments either. This particular woman has a nastiness about her comments that stirs me. She's a bitter and jealous person, I get that, but she's nasty and I would like to speak up for myself.

I doubt I say something, but I may, if the mood is right, and the comment is such that I can say something in a less personal way. I don't typically lash out so if I'm not angered by her, and I can say something clever, I'll do it.

I'm not terribly concerned about it influencing the reference I'd get. She actually works in another area, for a different company altogether. She must make snide comments in the brief time she passes me, seeing me holding/rubbing my arms ... I'm not even saying that I'm cold. She's one of those toxic ppl, she just has to spread discontent everywhere. I tried being overly nice, and kind to her...lol

I know it won't do any good, or change anything...I'd just enjoy saying it. I admit I'd just like to say it in a subtle way.

Comment

Ah, toxic people. When I retired I was able to shed interacting with an extremely toxic person. It has been great.
                            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

People have gotten fatter. 70% of the US population is overweight. That's a majority. A majority means power...or the perception of it. People with power are going to throw their weight around at the expense of those in the minority to make themselves feel better. It stems from feelings of inadequacy.

I just say have pity on them and let them be. They've already got enough issues. Maybe even be kinder to them. Defeat bad with goodness.
                              "Those sowing seed with tears
                              Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Working...
                              X