• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add exercise in to my day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add exercise in to my day?

hi,
    i have recently hanged jobs and now drive to work. As a result I am finding it very difficult to incorporate exercise into my everyday routine and now worried about putting on weight.
    i live with my husband and 2 children.
    i start work at 8am so that I can leave at 4 to collect the children. I have a 1 hour commute (sat still in a car), so I wake at 6am, leave at 7am, spend majority of day at desk or moving to and from meeting rooms. I get 30 min for lunch so on most days I try to go for a walk but it's only 15 minutes. When I get back at 5 I collect the children, get home and cook dinner, we all eat around 6:30, I then clear up and spend some time with the children, then help them wash and get them into bed 8:30. I can then go to gym but it takes 15min to drive to gym and it closes at 10 so not a lot of room if they don't get off to sleep on time!
    Ad there is so much to do I can't get to gym everyday, max 3 days a week (with 1 or 2 of those being at the weekend).
    I am constantly running around and rushing and don't think that can be very healthy mentally.
    i was wondering how other working mums manage to incorporate exercise?
    for a while I tried going to gym in the morning but the 5am start tired me out.

many thanks

How old are the kids? What types of exercises are you doing?

Try to incorporate more activity into those hours with the kids. Walking or playing in more vigorous games. Get a running stroller if that's the age appropriate thing for them.

It's good to keep you active and teaches healthy habits to the kids.

Comment

Hi,

the kids are now 8 and 7.
      when they have homework during term time it's a bit difficult but otherwise we definitely go bike riding, play tennis, pay badminton, go for a walk etc but it's just ad hoc depending on weather etc and not guaranteed.
      i go to the gym to run/walk on treadmill as I find it burns the most calories and if I go to the gym I have no excuse and can do it all year round.
      i just don't know how other women are so skinny and have kids too... I eat healthy, never been a big eater but the lack of routine exercise is depressing :-(

Comment

So are you having a weight problem now? Or are you trying to prevent weight gain and stay healthier?

Try to stop comparing yourself to those other "skinny women". You don't have their genetic make-up and you are not living their lifestyle.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can, in balance with your family's needs, and I do admire that you want to add even more activity to the day. That's a good thing. . Is a treadmill at home an option?
        Please remember that the kids schedule won't always require your help and in a few years, you will have more free time. You can add more then. Is the husband helping out also?

What is your diet like? You say you are eating healthy, but what are you really eating and drinking?

Comment

I do all of my exercising at home. I have a bunch of dumbbells, exercise ball, and workout mat. There are a ton or cardio routines on YouTube that can follow along with. My favorites are kickboxing workouts. You will burn a ton of calories.

Comment

Thank you all, much appreciated.
            i am trying to prevent weight gain.
            i have managed to work a routine. I have decided walking is my thing... after I put kids to bed I walk, have found some good routes now.
            got so into it I have started longer walks at weekends. I also go for a walk at lunchtimes... I block it out in diary and just walk. So far so good but will take a while before I start to see the weight drop.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing well with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mum711 View Post
                Thank you all, much appreciated.
                i am trying to prevent weight gain.
                i have managed to work a routine. I have decided walking is my thing... after I put kids to bed I walk, have found some good routes now.
                got so into it I have started longer walks at weekends. I also go for a walk at lunchtimes... I block it out in diary and just walk. So far so good but will take a while before I start to see the weight drop.
                If you are pressed for time you may want to try interval training. You can do it on a stationary bike. Basically, you'll start with a warm up for a few minutes, and then increase your speed for a minute, then go back to your warm up speed, and repeat this for twenty minutes. You should look it up if you're interested. It's a great workout.

Comment

With our busy schedules, we could use some easy exercise ideas to fit into our hectic workdays and even evenings with the family. Why? Many of us struggle to find time to exercise including cardiologists.

Studies show that time spent exercising is well worth it—even if that means sacrificing a little sleep. In addition to losing weight, just 150 to 300 minutes of moderate exercise a week (or 20 to 40 minutes per day) can translate to lowered cholesterol, lowered blood pressure, reduced medications, improved sleep and more. While some people, like Maganti, prefer the gym, exercising does not require a membership card. Maganti shared with us these tips on how to fit even small amounts of exercise into a busy schedule.

1. Choose the far lot

Driving to work or to the store? Park as far away as you can. You’ll get extra steps in, and, since exercise is cumulative, those steps add up. The experts recommend you take 10,000 steps a day.

2 .Step it up

When choosing between an escalator, elevator and the stairs, choose the stairs. Even if it’s just one or two flights, you’ll get your heart pumping, and the extra steps will add to your daily recommended goal of 10,000.

3. Walk this way

Walk whenever and wherever you can. Ditch the car and walk to work or to the store. Cut your lunch short and take a brisk walk. Talking on the phone? Multi-task and do it while walking.

4. Beware of the chair

Office jobs don’t have to be sedentary. Many workers are discovering the perks of the Swedish ball (a.k.a. stability ball). There’s no slouching when sitting on this inflatable sphere, which means it helps with posture and building your core.

5.Pedal power

Pedal while you work with an under-the-desk pedal exerciser. These inexpensive pedal devices fit discreetly under your desk and are surprisingly quiet. They’re great for women with desk jobs who are searching for a way to sneak in some calorie burning.

6. Lunging around

Take breaks throughout the day to do strengthening exercises, such as squats, lunges or lift light weights. Or take a quick break and run (or walk) up and down the stairs a few times. Strength training has a number of aerobic benefits, plus it protects you from osteoporosis and keeps your joints limber. It will do you more good in the long run than hitting the snack machine.

7. Trade movie night for something more active

Dancing and bowling are two fun, social activities that also count as a workout. Rather than sitting for hours in silence, as you do in a movie, choose an activity you enjoy and invite your friend or partner to join in.

8. Keep moving

The basic rule of thumb is moving is better than sitting. Even common chores, like cleaning and mowing the lawn, burn calories, so get up and get going. Walk around the mall, garden, ride your bike, play tennis or other sports. Know that by doing it, you’re doing something good for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X