Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I just control how much sweet stuff I'm eating. I simply don't eat the ice cream or biscuits. But I do have a weakness for chocolate! Still, that isn't a crime. A few treats do control cravings and stop overeating. A little of what you fancy does you good.

I truly believe this: the odd dessert is fine and will control blood sugar cravings, stopping the urge to raid the fridge in the middle of the night.

Comment

• Any one help me that which exercise help me to reduce my all body fat. which can be done in less time
      Ingrid Carley, Registered Nurse ** <a href="http://www.orchardhousebexhill.com">Dementia care home in Bexhill</a>

Comment

• Originally posted by sandy03 View Post
        Which is the best way to decrease weight.......?
        the best way is regular excercise , drink plenty of water and take some ayurvedic medicines too to reduce weight instantly

Comment

• You're right, Marry Will. It seems advice everyone offers, but everyone does know best. There is no quick route to losing weight: it takes just eating sensibly and doing some exercise. There is no magic formula.

Comment

• Wouldn't it be wonderful if weight was easy to lose? Wishful thinking. But I avoid the usual weight gaining foods. I'd like to be slimmer, though. However, I will not starve myself as scientific research has found after losing the weight, it comes back on again: double. This sounds crazy: I mean, avoiding food does make you slim. Scientists say differently. There is all kind of research and studies into diet and weight. Some women have actually doubled their weight by going on lots of diets. Personally, I just eat a little and often. I don't follow media diets or starve myself. I don't overeat, either. A lot of people will disagree with this post, but it is something to ponder and read up on.

Comment

• If the scientists are just looking at people who lost weight from dieting without making a permanent change in habits, putting on extra weight when they go off of the diet makes sense. I know that is a struggle I have had. But, for those who make permanent changes in their habits, whether by conscious decision or by circumstances, the weight can stay off permanently if they don't revert back to their old habits or create new bad habits. I am in a different country with a somewhat healthier cuisine that I don't stuff in excessively. The food is both less calorie dense and less processed.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• One of the things I’ve noticed during my weight loss journey is that everyone has an opinion. Someone will be obese with all of the lifestyle-related illnesses that go along with it, but they’ll try to tell me what I should and should not do. Some of these people will even be ones that are close to me, so they know how dramatically I’ve turned my life around. It’s crazy to watch them wearing their bodies out while they’re counseling me. It’s like a smoker telling a former smoker how to quit while he’s taking a drag from a cigarette. It’s insanity. If you’re fat with high-blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc., why in the world should anyone listen to your advice on how to be healthy??

I think that one of the best things fat people can do is to talk to and listen to others that have lost weight and kept it off (with the emphasis on listening). Or at least someone that has had sustained success with helping people lose and maintain a more normal weight. Listening to one of the people that say stuff like “I lost 15 pounds, but gained it all back” is like the blind leading the blind.
                "Those sowing seed with tears
                Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                  It’s crazy to watch them wearing their bodies out while they’re counseling me.
                  is what they're telling good advice or not?

there are nurses I know that are very overweight but they still have knowledge
                  people probably are less likely to take advice from health professionals who are not healthy themselves but in the end most people don't follow advice they're given, period

Comment

• I remember as a child most of my doctors were obese. However, they did offer sound advice on maintaining a healthy weight even if they were not able to follow it themselves. Sometimes it is the people who are the most broken who offer the best wisdom.
                    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Yeah, I recently heard that the main cause of death for cardiologists is heart disease.

But, how would you know if their advice is sound? If what they’re saying doesn’t work for them, how would it work for you? And if their knowledge works, but they’re not applying it, can they really be called “wise?”

I want to hear from people that are practicing what they preach. Life is too short and health too precious to waste it listening to someone that doesn’t have practical knowledge.

Comment

• A drunk who is at rock bottom who says don't get into drinking has a lot of practical knowledge and maybe some wisdom even if that person doesn't have the willpower to escape his or her circumstances.

A person living in a repressive country may not be a revolutionary but still possess the knowledge of how to change the system so it isn't repressive.

Comment

• I don’t know enough to completely disregard anyone’s insight. And I do feel that you can learn from anyone. But if I’m trying to get somewhere and I have to choose between listening to someone with theories and opinions that’s ended up the opposite of the direction I want to go in and someone that’s successfully arrived, the word of the person that’s actually done what I want to do carries much more weight with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                            One of the things I’ve noticed during my weight loss journey is that everyone has an opinion. It’s crazy to watch them wearing their bodies out while they’re counseling me.
                            Still, does it drive you more crazy that they're trying to give you advice OR that they're not listening to you/following your example?

personally, don't like those who are skinny (often by genetics) and who have never gained an extra pound giving advice, often with disdain
                            heard people bad mouth overweight people and say "if only they'd..... " Or "it's not hard to lose at all"
                            they don't know as they haven't been there

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post

Still, does it drive you more crazy that they're trying to give you advice OR that they're not listening to you/following your example
                              I just had what will be the final face-to-face conversation for a while with a relative that’s overweight and diabetic - those are the issues that I know of. He told me a few days ago that he doesn’t have any serious health conditions. His wife alluded to him being in denial. I dont want things to be awkward between us, but I couldn’t get the worry in her eyes out of my mind, so I went for it.

I mentioned to him that diabetes is more and more considered to be a lifestyle-related disease because people that live certain ways don’t get it and people that have it eliminate it simply by doing certain things. He talked over me and told me his view of “being balanced” and “what works for one not necessarily working for others.” He told me how to manage diabetes and how some slim people have it. With all the authority and gentleness of an elder in my faith, he told me that I’m not a doctor. I listened, nodded, we hugged, said we love each other, and parted ways.

Every single thing he said to me is correct. With all of that correctness, there is still absolutely no good reason for him to have diabetes and be on medication for the rest of his life. I don’t care if his listens to me, follows my example, or thinks he can counsel me. I want him to be well.

At the same time, we all will get sick and die. Only God can stop that. I’ll just do my best and worry about myself until he does. What others do is between them and their Creator.

Comment

• it certainly is sad, Still

if a person doesn't even like to go for a walk nor eat fruits/veggies as some people I know

what can anyone say to them?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Hoo hot for sex?

She is not really into spontaneous acts of romance or sex.... it has to be in the bedroom and 99% of the time it is at night... and has told me many times...

Today, 06:34 PM By muffin70
                                • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                                • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                  I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                                • Reply to Is it just me or do we all have one???

You've got the right approach, jns. Sometimes - as Ashlee T. has said - nothing works. In that instance, walking away is best. It isn't rude: because...

Today, 10:23 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

I will tell you, Ashlee T. that I would love to have children. But I have not met the right man yet. However, there is still time. I am 38 years old but...

Today, 10:18 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                                • Lose Weight More Effectively with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hey ladies,

I hope you’re doing well. I was just searching for tips to lose weight and I found a tip to lose weight effectively. It’s...

Today, 04:11 PM By myfitmomy
                                • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                  I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                                • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                                • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                                Working...
                                X