• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
    It’s crazy to watch them wearing their bodies out while they’re counseling me.
    is what they're telling good advice or not?

there are nurses I know that are very overweight but they still have knowledge
    people probably are less likely to take advice from health professionals who are not healthy themselves but in the end most people don't follow advice they're given, period

Comment

I remember as a child most of my doctors were obese. However, they did offer sound advice on maintaining a healthy weight even if they were not able to follow it themselves. Sometimes it is the people who are the most broken who offer the best wisdom.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Yeah, I recently heard that the main cause of death for cardiologists is heart disease.

But, how would you know if their advice is sound? If what they’re saying doesn’t work for them, how would it work for you? And if their knowledge works, but they’re not applying it, can they really be called “wise?”

I want to hear from people that are practicing what they preach. Life is too short and health too precious to waste it listening to someone that doesn’t have practical knowledge.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

A drunk who is at rock bottom who says don't get into drinking has a lot of practical knowledge and maybe some wisdom even if that person doesn't have the willpower to escape his or her circumstances.

A person living in a repressive country may not be a revolutionary but still possess the knowledge of how to change the system so it isn't repressive.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I don’t know enough to completely disregard anyone’s insight. And I do feel that you can learn from anyone. But if I’m trying to get somewhere and I have to choose between listening to someone with theories and opinions that’s ended up the opposite of the direction I want to go in and someone that’s successfully arrived, the word of the person that’s actually done what I want to do carries much more weight with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
              One of the things I’ve noticed during my weight loss journey is that everyone has an opinion. It’s crazy to watch them wearing their bodies out while they’re counseling me.
              Still, does it drive you more crazy that they're trying to give you advice OR that they're not listening to you/following your example?

personally, don't like those who are skinny (often by genetics) and who have never gained an extra pound giving advice, often with disdain
              heard people bad mouth overweight people and say "if only they'd..... " Or "it's not hard to lose at all"
              they don't know as they haven't been there

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post

Still, does it drive you more crazy that they're trying to give you advice OR that they're not listening to you/following your example
                I just had what will be the final face-to-face conversation for a while with a relative that’s overweight and diabetic - those are the issues that I know of. He told me a few days ago that he doesn’t have any serious health conditions. His wife alluded to him being in denial. I dont want things to be awkward between us, but I couldn’t get the worry in her eyes out of my mind, so I went for it.

I mentioned to him that diabetes is more and more considered to be a lifestyle-related disease because people that live certain ways don’t get it and people that have it eliminate it simply by doing certain things. He talked over me and told me his view of “being balanced” and “what works for one not necessarily working for others.” He told me how to manage diabetes and how some slim people have it. With all the authority and gentleness of an elder in my faith, he told me that I’m not a doctor. I listened, nodded, we hugged, said we love each other, and parted ways.

Every single thing he said to me is correct. With all of that correctness, there is still absolutely no good reason for him to have diabetes and be on medication for the rest of his life. I don’t care if his listens to me, follows my example, or thinks he can counsel me. I want him to be well.

At the same time, we all will get sick and die. Only God can stop that. I’ll just do my best and worry about myself until he does. What others do is between them and their Creator.

Comment

it certainly is sad, Still

if a person doesn't even like to go for a walk nor eat fruits/veggies as some people I know

what can anyone say to them?

Comment

Unfortunately, working at a desk is very usual for someone employed. After leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark, it may be hard for them to find the motivation to wander around their neighborhood after dark.

Comment

Weight is hard to lose but I try. I weigh myself daily. On the whole I eat properly [veg, etc.] but I do have a weakness for chocolate and cheesecake. But I compensate by not eating the cakes, the ice cream, the crisps and DEFINITELY avoiding fried food and junk food. I also tend to avoid takeaways. I'll have the odd Chinese, but I won't eat the pizza and pastries and the crisps. These foods are loaded with fat, sugar and salt. I steer clear of them. I'll eat proper, homecooked food each and every night. I am actually very sensible when it comes to food. I just don't eat the calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                        Weight is hard to lose but I try. I weigh myself daily. On the whole I eat properly [veg, etc.] but I do have a weakness for chocolate and cheesecake. But I compensate by not eating the cakes, the ice cream, the crisps and DEFINITELY avoiding fried food and junk food. I also tend to avoid takeaways. I'll have the odd Chinese, but I won't eat the pizza and pastries and the crisps. These foods are loaded with fat, sugar and salt. I steer clear of them. I'll eat proper, homecooked food each and every night. I am actually very sensible when it comes to food. I just don't eat the calories.
                        Does it work? Are you slimming down? Do you count calories? My little sister lost a lot of weight, largely by eating home cooked meals instead of fast food.

I was just telling my wife that some of my issues are probably because I don’t have any idea what my caloric intake or requirements are. I probably alternate between going way over and way under. My cousin has an app he uses to count calories. I hate measuring, weighing, and counting when it comes to food. It makes something that should be natural and enjoyable awkward to me. I’d rather just not even eat if it’s got to be that way. Maybe I need to change.

Comment

Just follow a simple strategy to lose weight. Spend more calories daily than you eat.

Comment

I find counting calories very difficult. It is time consuming and impractical for me, personally. Maybe others have no problem counting calories, but I don't have the time. I still am careful about what I eat and I do exercise [I do a lot of walking and enjoy dancing]. I just am sensible about what I eat. I don't need to know the calories of a bag of crisps: because they're loaded with salts and fats and that is the logic I follow when it comes to weight and diet. I suppose it is just common sense.

However, everyone to their own: counting calories does work for many people. It is a person's prerogative.

Comment

Working...
                            X