Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• sandy03
    started a topic Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Which is the best way to decrease weight.......?

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    I just don't eat the sweets or biscuits or ice cream. Because I know those foods will make me fat and unattractive.

I simply don't eat the rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• MrMr
    replied
    For losing weight diet is absolutely everything.

However, at the beginning this is the most difficult thing and what causes the most obstacles.

I was a PT in the Marines for 3 years of my service, so you can take my advice as you like.

For the first 6 months just get yourself in a regular gym routine. 3 times a week minimum (do 1 or 2 cardio days if you can)

Do compound weight exercises. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press.

But i don't want to get big and muscley? Thats what everyone says and if it was that easy everyone would be walking about huge!

Running on a treadmill is boring as hell! Turn resistance training into cardio. Developing stronger muscles burns more calories than just cardio machines
    ????
    The pain you feel after lifting weights is your body repairing itself and in turn burns calories.

After 6 months, tune your diet. But after 6 months or even earlier you will want to be doing that yourself anyway

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    Good on you! You are very sensible, Nate Julia.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Julia
    replied
    Hello!
    The most important advice that has already been in this discussion is to spend more calories than getting them! I myself adhere to this tactic: I visit the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On weekdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays I do exercises at home. Every 2-3 weeks I sit on this spinach diet. This mode is good for me to combine with work so I think it will be convenient for many
    Last edited by Ashlee T.; 03-25-2019, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    Agreed, positivehomeopathy.

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    I find counting calories very difficult. It is time consuming and impractical for me, personally. Maybe others have no problem counting calories, but I don't have the time. I still am careful about what I eat and I do exercise [I do a lot of walking and enjoy dancing]. I just am sensible about what I eat. I don't need to know the calories of a bag of crisps: because they're loaded with salts and fats and that is the logic I follow when it comes to weight and diet. I suppose it is just common sense.

However, everyone to their own: counting calories does work for many people. It is a person's prerogative.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
    Weight is hard to lose but I try. I weigh myself daily. On the whole I eat properly [veg, etc.] but I do have a weakness for chocolate and cheesecake. But I compensate by not eating the cakes, the ice cream, the crisps and DEFINITELY avoiding fried food and junk food. I also tend to avoid takeaways. I'll have the odd Chinese, but I won't eat the pizza and pastries and the crisps. These foods are loaded with fat, sugar and salt. I steer clear of them. I'll eat proper, homecooked food each and every night. I am actually very sensible when it comes to food. I just don't eat the calories.
    Does it work? Are you slimming down? Do you count calories? My little sister lost a lot of weight, largely by eating home cooked meals instead of fast food.

I was just telling my wife that some of my issues are probably because I don’t have any idea what my caloric intake or requirements are. I probably alternate between going way over and way under. My cousin has an app he uses to count calories. I hate measuring, weighing, and counting when it comes to food. It makes something that should be natural and enjoyable awkward to me. I’d rather just not even eat if it’s got to be that way. Maybe I need to change.

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    Weight is hard to lose but I try. I weigh myself daily. On the whole I eat properly [veg, etc.] but I do have a weakness for chocolate and cheesecake. But I compensate by not eating the cakes, the ice cream, the crisps and DEFINITELY avoiding fried food and junk food. I also tend to avoid takeaways. I'll have the odd Chinese, but I won't eat the pizza and pastries and the crisps. These foods are loaded with fat, sugar and salt. I steer clear of them. I'll eat proper, homecooked food each and every night. I am actually very sensible when it comes to food. I just don't eat the calories.

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    Unfortunately, working at a desk is very usual for someone employed. After leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark, it may be hard for them to find the motivation to wander around their neighborhood after dark.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    Originally posted by amy40

Still, does it drive you more crazy that they're trying to give you advice OR that they're not listening to you/following your example
    I just had what will be the final face-to-face conversation for a while with a relative that’s overweight and diabetic - those are the issues that I know of. He told me a few days ago that he doesn’t have any serious health conditions. His wife alluded to him being in denial. I dont want things to be awkward between us, but I couldn’t get the worry in her eyes out of my mind, so I went for it.

I mentioned to him that diabetes is more and more considered to be a lifestyle-related disease because people that live certain ways don’t get it and people that have it eliminate it simply by doing certain things. He talked over me and told me his view of “being balanced” and “what works for one not necessarily working for others.” He told me how to manage diabetes and how some slim people have it. With all the authority and gentleness of an elder in my faith, he told me that I’m not a doctor. I listened, nodded, we hugged, said we love each other, and parted ways.

Every single thing he said to me is correct. With all of that correctness, there is still absolutely no good reason for him to have diabetes and be on medication for the rest of his life. I don’t care if his listens to me, follows my example, or thinks he can counsel me. I want him to be well.

At the same time, we all will get sick and die. Only God can stop that. I’ll just do my best and worry about myself until he does. What others do is between them and their Creator.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    I don’t know enough to completely disregard anyone’s insight. And I do feel that you can learn from anyone. But if I’m trying to get somewhere and I have to choose between listening to someone with theories and opinions that’s ended up the opposite of the direction I want to go in and someone that’s successfully arrived, the word of the person that’s actually done what I want to do carries much more weight with me.

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    A drunk who is at rock bottom who says don't get into drinking has a lot of practical knowledge and maybe some wisdom even if that person doesn't have the willpower to escape his or her circumstances.

A person living in a repressive country may not be a revolutionary but still possess the knowledge of how to change the system so it isn't repressive.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    Yeah, I recently heard that the main cause of death for cardiologists is heart disease.

But, how would you know if their advice is sound? If what they’re saying doesn’t work for them, how would it work for you? And if their knowledge works, but they’re not applying it, can they really be called “wise?”

I want to hear from people that are practicing what they preach. Life is too short and health too precious to waste it listening to someone that doesn’t have practical knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    I remember as a child most of my doctors were obese. However, they did offer sound advice on maintaining a healthy weight even if they were not able to follow it themselves. Sometimes it is the people who are the most broken who offer the best wisdom.

Leave a comment:

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Today, 09:59 AM By lp84
  • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
  • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
  • Reply to ***Ladies reaction to men at a nude beach/pool***

The term “business process” is used to describe the organization and structure of interrelated actions of company employees with the only purpose...

07-20-2019, 01:51 AM By driiols
  • Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Last night I didn't notice my g/f hadn't shaved in a while. I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't of brought it to my attention.

07-19-2019, 06:42 PM By WaveRider

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Today, 09:59 AM By lp84
  • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
  • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
  • Introduction

Hello Everyone!
    I am new to this forum.

06-27-2019, 04:40 AM By linakhonde
  • motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously...

07-13-2019, 11:32 AM By amy40
Working...
X