• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skinny Shaming: Is Obesity a Disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny Shaming: Is Obesity a Disease?

I thought we could bring this part of our discussion out here.

Originally posted by atskitty2
    Is it the disease, or a symptom of the disease?
    My answer would be that it's a disease by any meaningful definition. The American Medical Association expressed some interesting insights in their resolution that said it is a disease. First their definition of disease:

Whereas, Our American Medical Associationís Council on Science and Public Health Report 4, A-05, has identified the following common criteria in defining a disease: 1) an impairment of the normal functioning of some aspect of the body; 2) characteristic signs or symptoms; and 3) harm or morbidity
    Here is their answer to any claims that it's not a disease:

Whereas, The suggestion that obesity is not a disease but rather a consequence of a chosen lifestyle exemplified by overeating and/or inactivity is equivalent to suggesting that lung cancer is not a disease because it was brought about by individual choice to smoke cigarettes
    I'm not going to post the whole thing, but they basically feel like they're calling it what it is and that their recognition may help individuals and institutions to deal with it head on. I agree.

Google ďnpr ama obesity resolutionĒ to find the AMA paper.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

I think this is a fascinating post. It does seem odd that when skinniness started to become fashionable, there started to be an increase in the amount of obese people. Also, the epidemic of obesity did increase with the production of commericial food: such as tinned foods and fastfood restaurants. Convenience foods have contributed to people becoming fat. Also, there is evidence that frequent dieting does contribute to weight gain, as insane as that sounds.

People do need to be educated about where their food comes from and how to prepare food and make healthy choices. People should NOT be encouraged to diet, however. Sensible advice is what's needed. Being slim should not be about fitting into fashion: but about health and lifestyle. Children should also not be pressured to diet. We need to teach children to make the right food choices and have a healthy approach to food. Fear of fat won't help them grow up normal. Because children are, obviously, adults of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
      Children should also not be pressured to diet.
      yes

new study in J. of Pediatrics linked parents talking to teens about dieting to increased risk of obesity later in life

^^ this is from articles about the study as I can't pull up the actual journal page/study

Comment

It's often a preventable disease.
        How's that?

Alcoholism is a disease, we finally have the biochemical findings to support that, supposedly.
        However, we don't just accept it, and there's certainly few that are prideful in it.

Depression and other mental illnesses are disease. We don't just sort of accept it and take pride in it.

It's as if with weight and healthy diet, people take a Rebel, buck the system attitude. "I'm fat, and that's that."

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          I'd go more extreme than "often" and say "always."

I'm easy, understanding, and will give an empathetic listening ear, but I don't let anyone lie to me on this one. If they start talking about genes, defects, metabolism, thyroid, whatever, I'm not accepting it. The question is: How badly do you want to be healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            How's that?

Alcoholism is a disease, we finally have the biochemical findings to support that, supposedly.
            However, we don't just accept it, and there's certainly few that are prideful in it.

Depression and other mental illnesses are disease. We don't just sort of accept it and take pride in it.

It's as if with weight and healthy diet, people take a Rebel, buck the system attitude. "I'm fat, and that's that."
            Originally posted by Stillness View Post

I'd go more extreme than "often" and say "always."

I'm easy, understanding, and will give an empathetic listening ear, but I don't let anyone lie to me on this one. If they start talking about genes, defects, metabolism, thyroid, whatever, I'm not accepting it. The question is: How badly do you want to be healthy?
            Many diseases are preventable. Airborne diseases are preventable, just don't breath the air that disease carriers have breathed. Don't have contact with those who have contact borne diseases. These ideas are what quarantine procedures are about. Eating food is like breathing, you cannot just quit doing it altogether. Can you take control of your situation, sure. Is taking control easier for some than others, definitely. Should those who have an easy time pass judgement on those who have a hard time? I don't think that being prideful of having a disease is the right way to be, but some are. Should they pass judgement? The middle way is to encourage others to be healthier without passing judgement. Even if you have won a hard battle or are in the process of winning it, you have still not walked the mile in the other person's shoes. Besides, winning a battle is not the same as winning a war.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
              Eating food is like breathing, you cannot just quit doing it altogether.
              Can you hold your breath without dying? Sure you can. Food is a necessity like air and just like holding your breath, your body is resilient enough to go without food for a time. In fact, the body thrives in a fasting state. Some slim people, like bodybuilders, use fasting to build muscle and strength. Itís counterintuitive to the typical Western mind. But, our cultural intuition is part of the reason weíre having so many struggles with weight and health.

All a person needs is basic knowledge like that and desire and they can lose weight. No judgement. Just facts and logic. Iím a fat Westerner, so Iím not in a position to judge, even if I wanted to. And I donít. I want us all to thrive together.

Comment

Can you hold your breath without dying? Sure you can. Food is a necessity like air and just like holding your breath, your body is resilient enough to go without food for a time.
                What is also a corollary is that you can train your body to go fairly long without breathing or eating. When I was in high school and college I could hold my breath for up to 2 minutes. By using that and swimming slowly and in control, I was able to swim the entire length of a 50 meter pool underwater. Many times. Fasting is similar. To minimize desire, some Buddhist monks eat only one meal a day for decades.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                  To minimize desire, some Buddhist monks eat only one meal a day for decades.
                  "women prepare food for the monks" from food from alms bowls while the monks pray
                  definitely easy to stay slim if food is just delivered to you, you eat that only and there's no temptation whatsoever

Comment

All a person needs is basic knowledge like that and desire and they can lose weight..
                    there's a pic of me when I was super skinny on our fridge door so I have the desire and have the knowledge
                    am I ever going to be stick skinny again? not unless there's a way for me to be in my 20's again

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post

"women prepare food for the monks" from food from alms bowls while the monks pray
                      definitely easy to stay slim if food is just delivered to you, you eat that only and there's no temptation whatsoever
                      from buddhanet:

A monk is allowed to collect, receive and consume food between dawn and midday (taken to be 12 noon). He is not allowed to consume food outside of this time and he is not allowed to store food overnight. Plain water can be taken at any time without having to be offered. Although a monk lives on whatever is offered, vegetarianism is encouraged.

A monk must have all eatables and drinkables, except plain water, formally offered into his hands or placed on something in direct contact with his hands. In the Thai tradition, in order to prevent contact with a woman, he will generally set down a cloth to receive things offered by women. He is not allowed to cure or cook food except in particular circumstances.

In accordance with the discipline, a monk is prohibited from eating fruit or vegetables containing fertile seeds. So, when offering such things, a layperson can either remove the seeds or make the fruit allowable slightly damaging it with a knife. This is done by piercing the fruit and saying at the same time 'Kappiyam bhante' or 'I am making this allowable, Venerable Sir' (the English translation). It is instructive to note that, rather than limiting what can be offered, the Vinaya lays emphasis on the mode of offering. Offering should be done in a respectful manner, making the act of offering a mindful and reflective one, irrespective of what one is giving.

Women may be the most common preparers of food for the monks but it is not exclusive. If a monk is traveling, he usually has a teenage boy with him that will prepare the meals. Note that he will also prepare the fruits and vegetables. Monks in monasteries will often eat food prepared by women. The food will be reflective of what is available in the surrounding community. Eliminating desire including desiring food is one of the central tenets of Buddhism. Forest monasteries may require the monks to grow and prepare food in some situations since they are remote from other people.

Comment

Jns, could you describe what you mean by passing judgement? I have a strong opinion, for sure.
                        I think having the opinion I have is short of being judgmental or harsh, or mean-spirited toward people. I strongly disagree with this attitude that seems so prevalent in people, especially in kids.

We have much less choice of our air or exposure to viruses and bacteria. We cannot see germs to avoid them, and while we can move to another area, our air space isn't necessarily controllable either.
                        We have some amount of control over our food choices, our movement and our attitude towards these.

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                          there's a pic of me when I was super skinny on our fridge door so I have the desire and have the knowledge
                          am I ever going to be stick skinny again? not unless there's a way for me to be in my 20's again
                          ​​​​​​​amy40 I know the feeling. The first time I remember a woman talk about me in a desirable way was in 12th grade. A girl in my class said, "I remember you from a couple of years ago. Man, you developed!" She sounded like me and my horny friends. I didn't think of myself as good-looking so I was trying to figure out what her angle was.

At that same time I had a beautiful girlfriend and I remember her telling me to stop stretching and sticking my chest out because it was exciting her too much with her mother around. I didn't get. I thought she was just flirting with me. I don't think that men understand masculine beauty from a female perspective. Maybe we don't hear it enough from you all? Maybe I'm just slow? I still don't get it, but I'd like to have this brain in that naive kidís body.

What do you think caused you to be above the weight you want? With me, I know it was the food I ate.

Comment

What do you think caused you to be above the weight you want? With me, I know it was the food I ate.
                            the car accident and dev. fibro after, never having days without pain and being how I was before the accident
                            always have pain every day ......good days maybe a level 3 or 4 out of ten so I function well.....bad days 8 or 9 out of ten and feel miserable

not so good days.......
                            I'll go somewhere and sit in car for 15 min trying to convince myself to get out of car but sometimes I end up just going home because I can't muster the energy and grocery shop or whatever I need to do

I'm good at acting because when family is home, I put on my happy face (if I don't feel so well) and be the mom I need to be

(was hit twice on the hwy, my car spun so I was hit again)

Comment

I didn't think of myself as good-looking so I was trying to figure out what her angle was
                              you know what's funny......no, I'm not skinny anymore but when I'm out, men still smile at me but I think it's because I am smiling too
                              I'm often thinking about something that makes me smile or I intentionally smile so people must just smile back
                              plus I laugh a lot because I find a lot of things absurb

Comment

Working...
                              X