• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skinny Shaming: Is Obesity a Disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is a good place to bring us back to the topic of being as healthy as possible. Many of those meds are being used unnecessarily (birth control pills) and blood pressure meds, etc. I believe hormonal birth control is really hard on our bodies. We simply are not meant to have these doses of chemical added to our system.
    Diabetes can sometimes be managed thru a healthy lifestyle, without additional meds. Not always, but sometimes.

These side effects, and others, should be deterrents from ever wanting to go on these meds.

But, yes, some diseases like cancer call for the big guns. Patients on steroids gain weight, and often eat very little-or keep little down...they're bloated with water gain and some do gain weight from the stimulation of appetite/thirst from the drugs.

When our bodies are out of balance, sickly and struggling, our weight gets out of balance too. Gains or losses. Sometimes due to meds, or decreased mobility, etc.

I think that's why it's so important to focus on healthy choices. There will always be variables, exceptions, outliers. Keep the base strong. Build a solid foundation and then address the weaknesses as they arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
      jns Everything in your last comment sounds believable.

Let's say I borrow your vehicle with a full tank and bring it back on "E." When you ask me why I left you with no gas I respond, "Your vehicle is not fuel efficient." Though my statement may be true, how do you feel about it? Does it really address the issue or is it an excuse?
      I'm not sure how this example relates.

Diet is only one of the factors involved. If we keep the diet as a constant, measured amount, other factors will determine if the person gains weight, loses weight or stays the same and to what degree any gain or loss occurs. In my case, Ciprofloxacin is dangerous for me. When I was on it by doctors orders, food did not taste good (it didn't taste bad, just blah) and I had no desire to eat or even drink very much. I tried to go back to work but I did not have the energy to sit in a chair all day. I went to my HMO and had to sit down on the floor while waiting in a line. They ended up running an EKG on me because they thought I may have been having a heart attack. I was dehydrated and weak from the lack of food. All of those symptoms quickly disappeared when I quit taking the prescription. To say that was all diet based weight loss is very much oversimplifying the situation. The dietary changes were caused by the medicine.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Not a disease, more of a bad habit...deadly habit. Heres something that worked for me!
        Last edited by jns; 03-12-2018, 12:44 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
          I'm not sure how this example relates.
          Because my response, though true, would be distraction. Evasion. Noise. An excuse to cover up the real reason behind the situation. The fuel efficiency of the vehicle, the distance I drove, how windy it was, traffic conditions, and any other factors that spent fuel don't change the fact that I failed to fill up your tank like a responsible person should.

In like manner, metabolism, medication, illnesses, exercise, energy levels, or any other factors that may or may not affect weight gain don't change the fact that if we're overweight, we've taken in more that we've used or passed through. All of the other factors and details are distraction.

I had to deal with the denial and ignorance in myself before I started to lose weight, so I know it well. I truly did not know why I was so fat. Once I identified the nonsense and focused on the simple logic it freed me to control myself and change my body. Anybody can do what I've done and will continue to do. The pathways to accomplishing it are myriad, but the logic is always the same and it works every time without fail. The only question is whether or not the method harms the body and is sustainable. That when things get murky.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Originally posted by dannyjayyoung View Post
            Not a disease, more of a bad habit...deadly habit. Heres something that worked for me!
            Describe it. I'm interested.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Working...
            X