• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on dieting/healthy eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on dieting/healthy eating?

I like many other people suffer from being addicted to sweets. I've been looking to cut some sweets out, do you guys have any tips on what I can and cannot eat? And any recommendations? Hoping for a response!

I am a sugar addict. The best way to get control of cravings, that I've found, is just to stop the sweets 100% for a period of time. Took me awhile to accomplish that, but I did. After that time, the intense cravings stopped. The weaning was awful, the cravings are distracting, but worth it to fight through the temptations and get control.

After being off sweets for awhile, the cravings subside. I found that then, I can have a little and be ok, but it only takes a bit more to spark the cravings and send me back into that cycle. Sugar is powerful. Don't underestimate what it can do!

Comment

I am also a sugar addict. I have stopped the sweets for over 3 years now. I also avoid biscuits. I only have the occasional ice cream in summer: you get the gist. I just stopped eating the sweets, cold turkey. They would've rotted my teeth and made me fat. I couldn't eat them anymore for my sanity. I simply don't buy them. Once you're off the sweets, you'll find after a while the cravings disappear: really. It is hard at first, but your body adjusts and then you're fine. The only way to give up the sweets, is to stop buying the sweets altogether.

Comment

Agreed, panchkarma27.

Comment

My friend and I talked the other day about our dependence on sugar and related sweet, fatty foods (I think, cookies, cake, chocolate). We work so well for a while, and then we return to it somehow, consuming a large amount of any sweet food product at the moment. This slippery slope, which we somehow again slide down.
          I want to talk about my problems with emotional nutrition and have really done much better for many years. I feel craving for sugar much less often, and even now, when I fall from a sugary tractor, I do this by eating a large quantity of high-quality fiber, all natural, gluten-free, dairy-free products. The damage to my body is much less than on days when my drug of choice was a cheap grocery store full of transplanted fats and garbage. But organic cane sugar is still sugar, and I just can not use it in a healthy way. I again find myself on the same unhealthy, compulsive van, albeit in a more nutritious form.
          In any form, sugar has an unhealthy effect on my skin, my body, my moods and my weight when I eat too much. Recently I realized, talking with my friend, that I need to take this problem seriously, than ever, if I ever want to leave it behind.
          Here are some strategies that we discussed, that I found the truth and work for me
          For many of us, sweet pleasure is comfort. They are a reward after a long day, a way to relax, the source of what love feels in a difficult world. Without this comfort, you will feel deprived, and it will be more difficult to break the habit.
          Be interested in what helps you and is felt as a reward. This should be a significant enough reward to make you feel that giving up sweet treats is not such a big problem. Some awards that work for me: a hot bath; a delicious dinner from healthy food, which I love and look forward to; go out to meet a friend after a long day; ordering a massage at the spa (I recently did this after not having done it for too long), or bought myself a really wonderful book to enjoy reading. Find ways to take care of yourself to use instead of sugar, things that deeply nurture you without side effects and dependencies

Comment

Working...
          X