Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gym Etiquette - What Are Your Gym Pet Peeves?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Gym Etiquette - What Are Your Gym Pet Peeves?

I really only have a few major gym pet peeves, but that is probably because I usually workout at 5am when there are few people there. I'm stoked for anyone at the gym who is making the effort to live a healthier life but there is certain gym etiquette I think should be upheld. Basically, this is space we are sharing so I make sure that I do not interfere with anyone's workout and I expect them not to interfere with mine.

-People who throw their weights: Mainly because my gym is small and it is dangerous.

-People who do circuits and occupy all the machines in their circuit the entire time: There is a new couple coming in the mornings. He does one circuit the entire time he's there, occupying all the machines in his circuit the entire time. He will say you can "jump in" (see next pet peeve) but only of course if you time it when it works best for him AND only if you're willing to remove all of his weights each time. Yesterday, I wanted to use the leg press and he occupied it with around 500 lbs of weight the entire 30-40 minutes I was there.

-People who approach you while you're on a machine and ask if they can "jump in". A dude (same dude as above) did that to me yesterday. I wasn't doing circuits - I was doing 3 sets so there was no place for me to let him "jump in". Then I had to try to make myself not feel rushed.

-People who do aerobic activity in the weight room: There are some larger gyms where this is appropriate. But in my small gym, if you (dude above's girlfriend) are jumping rope in the weight room you are blocking multiple machines in the process. AND there is an empty aerobics room literally less than 10 steps away.

What about you? What are your biggest gym pet peeves?

"Be what you're looking for."

• Getting hit on-uninvited attention.
    Not wiping down a machine when finished.
    monopolizing equipment.
    ?????

Comment

• there were rules where we went
      if busy, must sign up for machines so time limit then

I cleaned machine BEFORE using, lol

Comment

• Ashlee, the problem is not a person trying to monopolize the machines, rather it is the management's response to it. When I regularly went to a gym, a person could only monopolize the machine that they were actively using, not others as well. It sounds like a control issue with him. Do complaints to management work? It is not his own private gym.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• jns, if her small gym is like mine, management is a college kid that really doesn't appear to exercise, and probably doesn't understand the social behaviors expected in that environment. Hopefully it's different there, for her.

BD, for the first time, yesterday morning I walked into the free-weight area to find about 5 women on mats on the floor, and they'd taken all the sets of lower weight dumbbells. I was annoyed, but thankful I could improvise with other things available. As I found a small space available in the mirror and got started, they THEN proceeded to do some sort of aerobic thing, running around the area and entering my personal space on more than one round of the room. I was patient and didn't say anything, as my time there was going to be short anyway, but I was irritated.

My thought is, these folks will mostly be gone again by end of March. They're already dwindling in numbers, and it will be back to the "regulars" that "get it".

Comment

• The way the gym is set up, management doesn't even see what's going on. I could complain, and probably eventually will if it doesn't stop. Like kitty said, I too am just trying to wait these people out. While I want all people to workout and be healthy, I'm selfishly hoping these two fizzle out. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
              The way the gym is set up, management doesn't even see what's going on. I could complain, and probably eventually will if it doesn't stop. Like kitty said, I too am just trying to wait these people out. While I want all people to workout and be healthy, I'm selfishly hoping these two fizzle out. lol
              Unfortunately it is also souring your experience in the gym which could have long term repercussions when you aren't as motivated to go to the gym. I know people monopolizing the swimming lanes at a gym I used to go to lessened my motivation to go at the time I wanted to go and eventually made it so I didn't want to put up with the hassle. Then the gym changed hands and the price went up so I never went back.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• jns oh, definitely. It's not going to stop me, but it is absolutely a negative effect on the experience. I long for the day we can build our own place in the country with a basement which will be used partially as a fitness room.

I thought of another pet peeve this morning - people who invade "personal gym space". Isn't there some gym code or something that says if there are 3 treadmills open to the left of me and 2 to the right of me that you should NOT get on the one right next to me? lol. Isn't it sort of like when a man sees another man at the urinal and does NOT go stand right next to him? hahaha!

I'm definitely nitpicking now.

Comment

• That is a pain, Ashlee T. I don't use the gym myself [although I did a few years ago] but it would bother me with people mis-using equipment, invading personal space, etc. Management should take charge of such issues. If they don't, maybe they should be called to attention? Just an idea.

Comment

• I can almost understand the treadmill thing, because they may want to be closer to a certain TV. That bothers me less, because ultimately it isn't affecting me.

Comment

• atskitty2 If I was on an end, I could see that. But he could've gotten on any within 2-3 of me and still had perfect visibility of the tv in front of me. It didn't help matters that he was deodorant free that day (and potentially several days before...) Heck, I was already gasping for air. Lol.

What's funny about pet peeves and identifying them, is that I don't really expect people to change "for me." I just notice the little things people do that I think are oblivious or inconsiderate. I also notice the things people do that are highly considerate and thoughtful.

There's another guy that comes every morning. He never speaks (my kinda workout buddy...lol), has earbuds in, does his thing effectively and quietly, and I've noticed that when he finishes using a machine he lays his towel on it while he goes to get the cleaner so that no one will accidentally get on his sweaty machine before he is able to clean it. Actually, most of the morning folks behave in a similar way which I love. We truly just leave each other alone and try to stay out of each other's way. But there is always "that one."

Comment

• I wonder if the cleaner is relatively benign.

Comment

• jns - what do you mean? Benign as in an act of kindness or as in nonharmful in terms of chemicals? If the latter, I'm guessing it is a fairly gentle cleaner. I'm very sensitive to chemicals and I don't have a problem with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
                            jns - what do you mean? Benign as in an act of kindness or as in nonharmful in terms of chemicals? If the latter, I'm guessing it is a fairly gentle cleaner. I'm very sensitive to chemicals and I don't have a problem with it.
                            I meant cleaner as used in the following sentence:

Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
                            He never speaks (my kinda workout buddy...lol), has earbuds in, does his thing effectively and quietly, and I've noticed that when he finishes using a machine he lays his towel on it while he goes to get the cleaner so that no one will accidentally get on his sweaty machine before he is able to clean it.
                            Non harmful in terms of chemicals.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to AC7

Funnily enough, I bought peanut butter from the supermarket yesterday! I had a peanut butter sandwich this morning: delicious. I wouldn't attempt to make...

Today, 05:51 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Reply to I dont trust Mother

I can understand your feelings about your brother: he should've known better than to take and squander your mother's money. Because - as you know - he...

Today, 05:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Reply to So nervous about my first pap smear

I second Ashlee T's post.

It'll be over before you know it and will be painless. You could talk to the nurse doing the pap smear and tell...

Today, 05:40 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Reply to What kind of music do you listen to?

I am definitely a pop princess when it comes to music! I love Kylie, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, The Pussycat Dolls. As you can tell,...

Today, 05:34 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                            • Reply to hello all

Welcome back, Olympia!

Today, 05:32 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                            X