Do you guys take a vitamin supplement?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys take a vitamin supplement?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do you guys take a vitamin supplement?

i'm just curious to see if people on here take vitamin supplements at all? whether it's a daily vitamin supplement, or perhaps more elaborate health products (eg. green tea/fat burners, joint supplements, antioxidant blend, etc).

I actually consult for a variety of supplement manufacturers (quality assurance, regulatory compliance - fun, i know) and have seen my fair share of not so great, scam companies and the more quality based, ethical ones.

Many "experts" say that supplements should be taken, while other 'experts" only say you're wasting your money.

for me, i don't normally take them but i can see value in it for those that do, but i can also see how many companies can take advantage of those vulnerable or not armed with knowledge.
    Mighty Grasshopper
    Health, wellness and fitness enthusiast and blogger

Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
    - Henry Ford

• I take One A Day Womens, recommended by my nutritionist. I think it's because I'm a new vegetarian and she doesn't want me falling off the bandwagon just yet.

Comment

• I take:

Vitamin C
      Vitamin D
      Turmeric
      Vitamin B Complex (great for energy & stress levels)
      Super Potency Biotin (wonderful for skin and nails)
      Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc
      Adrenal Success (siberian ginseng and cordyceps)
      Spirulina (great for vegetarians)
      Noni

In addition, I try to make sure I eat a diet rich in nutrients. I figure, your body is like an automobile. Even the finest of auto's won't do squat if you put water in the gas tank. They require fuel. Though our bodies require a different type of fuel, we certainly still need to make sure we are fueling up.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• The regular vitamins are not so much of a problem, things like calcium vitamin C and D. Doctors will typically recommend them just for the sake of people taking something because they may be refusing to eat some bitter tasting vegetable that has the same vitamins. In the lab the pills are often so full of fillers that they should not be considered beneficial. A lot of supplements simply work on the basis of the placebo effect. In the lab there is nothing to say it will be beneficial but people take it and believe it gives them a mass dose of energy or they swear they lost their cancer because of the supplement. The placebo effect is big, really big.

The real iffy 'beneficial supplements' comes from pseudoscience. People who say take this supplement from this rare unknown plant that came from an unknown jungle it works I read it on a blog once. Same with online supplements from random unknown companies that claim to be the bees knees when it comes to health. Stick with words coming from a real doctor (the ones in pictures on a blog site or poorly designed website are not doctors they are actors wearing a lab coat) or real nutritionist. Sally Sue who reads wikipedia and then makes her own site selling foreign off label supplements is not a doctor or an expert. She is a snake oil salesmen. Just use common sense when looking or buying products.
        There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• The real iffy 'beneficial supplements' comes from pseudoscience. People who say take this supplement from this rare unknown plant that came from an unknown jungle it works I read it on a blog once
          I agree! This makes me think of Zija.

Comment

• I think it's most important to be sure that what we're eating is actually being absorbed properly in the gut!

Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, so I try to be sure I'm having an appropriate amount of healthy fats with my veggies (ie drizzle them in olive oil). I know many folks who are fat-phobic and strive for very little dietary fat. They suffer from leptin dysregulation as well, but that's another game entirely.

Unfortunately things like nuts & seeds, legumes (including unfermented soy) and "whole grains" - unless sprouted or prepared properly from scratch, which very few commercial WGs are - contain phytates and lectins and anti-nutrients (I know, that sounds like a fake word, but it's a real thing!) that scavenge minerals like zinc, calcium and magnesium and prevent them from being absorbed or utilized by the body. While all plants have similar "defense mechanisms," grains are some of the worst culprits. There's some debate about the levels of phytic acid that contribute to deficiencies, but my personal experience with mild anemia was resolved when I dialed back the grain sources of carb in my diet and replaced them with soluble fiber sources from roots & tubers.
            Liz

Comment

• A well balanced diet along with a multi vitamin twice each day, twelve hours apart, works well for me.

Comment

• How do you know if the supplements you take are working for you or not? Just feel what your body tells you?

I do agree that there are many that simply read what's on wikipedia and think that's the truth. Or rely on "test tube" studies believing that results will translate to human body level.

I can't say all companies that make herbal supplements rely on placebo effect though. Although I can see why many feel this way, there are companies that do make sure the science is there either using ingredients that have been evaluated in a clinical trial setting or actually using their products in a clinical trial setting.

Depending on a country's regulatory requirement, they may ask for clinical efficacy evidence before they to to market. Unfortunately the US is not one of them.
                Mighty Grasshopper
                Health, wellness and fitness enthusiast and blogger

Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
                - Henry Ford

Comment

• How do you know if the supplements you take are working for you or not? Just feel what your body tells you?
                  You may notice things over a period of time like increased energy, less sickness, better sleep, etc. You're not likely to notice abrupt changes. When I started taking Biotin for example, months later I could look back and see a difference in my fingernail growth and my skin. I do the sublingual B complex daily, and when I am doing this regularly I notice a decrease in stress and increase in energy. It really depends on what you take.

Comment

Personally I notice that I have way more energy than normal, I sleep much better, my concentrations levels are higher as well as my stamina and focus. I only take natural supplements and I thoroughly research where they come from, how they are sourced and stuff and exactly what ingredients they contain.

Comment

• I take a women's multi-vitamin, not every day, but as often as I can remember. Do I notice a difference?... Meh... Maybe a bit more energy, but that's it. I started taking it primarily for the iron, as my levels were too low to even donate blood.

I also try to take a probiotic once a day - that helps me keep yeast infections away and it works wonders for keeping the bowels moving, as an added benefit.

Comment

• I take the Men's One A Day vitamin and a vitamin D supplement. I have found since I started taking the vitamin I am not as tired at the end of the day. It must be doing something good for me. (It was strongly suggested by Dr. but I just recently started taking it.)

Comment

• I'm a vitamin junkie and always experiment with different things, right now I'm taking the following

1) Whole food multi (Alive brand)
                          2)Digestive enzymes
                          3)Probiotics (20 billion right now to fight off yeast infections/BV)
                          4)Chromium (to supress sugar cravings)
                          5)Glutamine powder (same as above)
                          6)Optizinc-(help to keep acne under control)
                          7)Pau d'arco (yeast/BV)
                          8)Skin/hair/nail supplement
                          9)Vit E (for skin)
                          10)Folic acid (BV)
                          11)5-htp(depression/anxiety)
                          12)Melatonin (insomnia)

I also drink ACV mixed with water (2-3 tbsp twice daily) when I can remember.

Comment

• I started taking a multivitamin about a month ago because I was feeling a little run down and tired a lot of the time. Since I started taking them I've noticed that I'm feeling less run down and more energetic.
                            I also regularly drink green tea with lemon. This is primarily because it helps with headaches, which I was getting about once or twice a week. Since I started drinking green tea with lemon my headaches are less frequent and when I do get one it helps me to relax.

Comment

• For everyday stress, I see to it that I take vitamin b complex, iron and vitamin c. I also get these vitamins from natural sources such as fruits and vegetables. My work covers just sitting all day in the front of the computer and I need these vitamins to stay focus.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X