What Do You Eat?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Eat?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What Do You Eat?

There are ALL sorts of fad diets out there. I'm curious about what nutrition plans you all follow (not a short term fad diet)? I was vegetarian for years, then switched over to full vegan, then found myself slipping and having cheese or dairy (ice cream) occasionally. Now, I stick to vegan throughout the work week and allow myself a splurge or two on the weekends.

I also monitor my macros, trying to make sure that I get adequate protein balanced with carbs and fat.

Do you follow a particular nutrition plan? Why or why not? Are you happy with where your physical health is?
    "Be what you're looking for."

• I'm mostly vegan due to health. I would say 90% of my meals are plant-based, animal free. I do eat meat once every week or two, usually a small piece of chicken or fish. Dairy I do keep to a minimum as it causes more inflammation than meat for me. <br />
    I eat a healthy vegan diet. Lots of greens, beans and grains. I spend most of my time at the market in produce. I have only a few aisles now that I go for a few items, grains and legumes, and of course refrigeration section for a nut milk. <br />
    <br />
    I do have times of weakness tho. I typically try to allow a cheat occasionally if I have been really busy or have a craving I can't get rid of.

Comment

• Same here ats. I LOVE a good old fashioned breakfast meal so I do cheat now and then.

My favorite vegan dish is something I would've never thought to try on my own but is scrumptious!! A skinned sweet potato (I microwave mine) as the bed, topped with some type of white bean, then avocado, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes. Seasoned with salt and pepper and sometimes tajin. Absolutely YUMMY!

I was drinking coconut/almond blend unsweetened, but my store was out yday so I got cashew milk unsweetened. I like it so far, but only use it for protein shakes.

Comment

• Mostly plants, but some dairy and eggs.

Right now I'm cutting back with my diet for improved health and weight loss. I'm not 100% where I want to be, but I'm on track right now.

I did a 9+ juice/smoothie cleanse that ended Monday. I was so sluggish and out of shape - in some ways, more than I've ever been. I didn't have the energy to work out and was sleeping long and feeling sick a lot. I started working out again halfway through. I'm still feeling pretty revved up from that cleanse and I'll start another one Saturday. I plan on doing 9 days on and 5 off until I am where I want to be.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Stillness - isn't it crazy how something like that, literally fruit/veggie juices can give you so much more life?!?! There HAS to be something legit to the whole "no animal products for better health" thing. Did you lose much weight during the cleanse?

Comment

• This was the first time I didn't weigh myself throughout, so I don't know how much I lost. Based on my past, 1/2 lbs+ per day of real weight and probably 7-8 pounds of water. This time I'm actually more interested in what I'll gain, so I only weighed myself when I stopped and I'll weigh myself again when I start.

It is amazing what plants can do for you - especially when we're bombarded with messages about how good and necessary various animal products and medicines are for nutrition and well-being.

Comment

• Yep. It's interesting, the cultural dynamics associated with our nutrition. Yes, there are vegans who feel the need to force veganism down the throats of everyone they meet. But, I have found that is not the norm with vegans. Meat/animal product eaters, however? Even the most conscious of them still question me when they find out about my nutritional choices. Well, how do you get your protein? So it's okay to kill a living plant but not a living animal? And then of course the constant rage of "bacon!!!!!!!!". Vegans and vegetarians get a bad wrap, but most of us have made a choice we believe to be for the greater good both for physical health and moral ethics.

It's also interesting how any of the detoxes and cleanses out there recommend giving up pretty much all animal products while on the cleanse. There has to be something to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                Vegans and vegetarians get a bad wrap
                Nothing to do with reality. Everything to do with the social power of the majority.

Also, there are powerful groups promoting this stuff. Did you see back in the summer when that congresswoman from Iowa put forward laws to ban meatless mondays in the military? She claims it was based on concerns for adequate protein. It was just a "coincidence" that she represents a state that leads the country in meat production. And forget the fact that too much meat in the American diet is jacking people up, including those in the military. Also, there is no meatless Monday in the military. They just want to be able to say, "but it's the law that we have meat everyday" in case anybody gets the idea.

That's what's really crazy.

Comment

• I have not heard about that. How completely insane! There is so much money in that industry. SO much that the way it is handled is drastically warped due to vision on one thing: the mighty dollar. It reminds me of the pharmaceutical industry, literally abusing people over medications by making necessary meds unaffordable to even middle/upper middle class folks (think EPI pen crisis recently). I hate that we are so driven by the dollar, but don't know how that will ever stop unless the people demand it, and generally, the people are too brainwashed and misinformed to know they should WANT to change it.

Comment

• I've been surprised at the political influence I've found in our American diet. Since I started learning more, I have come across some pretty interesting info.<br />
                    <br />
                    I'm not convinced that humans are meant to be totally animal free. I do not believe we need animal protein daily, though, and I have serious doubts as to whether we "need" the milk of other species in our diet at all. This is why I do eat a lean animal protein occasionally, one time every week or two. <br />
                    <br />
                    This time last year, I couldn't walk normally. I had constant pain, and other obvious issues. It's been a year since I started on my plant-based journey and my results are obvious. I can walk and there are no obvious symptoms in my speech or mood any more. People comment on my big changes, and it's gratifying and motivating when people tell me how noticeable is the difference. <br />
                    So, yes BD, I am proof there's something to it.<br />
                    <br />
                    Dumping the processed foods was a big part, but adding high nutrient value foods is key. I noticed a difference on vacation when I cheated several times. Food is medicine. It holds the answery to so many health problems we face.<br />
                    I've become a very passionate healthy food pusher...lol. I love that people come to me and ask what I've done. The difference is THAT obvious!<br />
                    I get a charge out of it. I get a little buzz in my herb garden😉 all legal! It has given me a big part of my life back, and food represents that positive force for me.<br />
                    <br />
                    I feel sad when I see people eating the kind of garbage I once did. They tell me how great mine looks and smells, but won't even taste it! Then bite into their frozen dinner. That's fine too, I just offer help if asked, and share when they're open and ready. I took jicama to share at work, and the ones who tried it liked it. Food is life for me! It is beautiful and I love it.<br />
                    <br />
                    So, that's my passion these days. I will hush now and go start lunch. I have a man joining me today. He has never tried squash! So I'm making a very basic spaghetti squash and herbs dish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                      This time I'm actually more interested in what I'll gain
                      8.6 pounds

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                        I've been surprised at the political influence I've found in our American diet. Since I started learning more, I have come across some pretty interesting info.<br />
                        <br />
                        I'm not convinced that humans are meant to be totally animal free. I do not believe we need animal protein daily, though, and I have serious doubts as to whether we "need" the milk of other species in our diet at all. This is why I do eat a lean animal protein occasionally, one time every week or two. <br />
                        <br />
                        This time last year, I couldn't walk normally. I had constant pain, and other obvious issues. It's been a year since I started on my plant-based journey and my results are obvious. I can walk and there are no obvious symptoms in my speech or mood any more. People comment on my big changes, and it's gratifying and motivating when people tell me how noticeable is the difference. <br />
                        So, yes BD, I am proof there's something to it.<br />
                        <br />
                        Dumping the processed foods was a big part, but adding high nutrient value foods is key. I noticed a difference on vacation when I cheated several times. Food is medicine. It holds the answery to so many health problems we face.<br />
                        I've become a very passionate healthy food pusher...lol. I love that people come to me and ask what I've done. The difference is THAT obvious!<br />
                        I get a charge out of it. I get a little buzz in my herb garden😉 all legal! It has given me a big part of my life back, and food represents that positive force for me.<br />
                        <br />
                        I feel sad when I see people eating the kind of garbage I once did. They tell me how great mine looks and smells, but won't even taste it! Then bite into their frozen dinner. That's fine too, I just offer help if asked, and share when they're open and ready. I took jicama to share at work, and the ones who tried it liked it. Food is life for me! It is beautiful and I love it.<br />
                        <br />
                        So, that's my passion these days. I will hush now and go start lunch. I have a man joining me today. He has never tried squash! So I'm making a very basic spaghetti squash and herbs dish.
                        This is so awesome!! When people question my food choices, I just tell them that I think people should eat in whatever way benefits them the most and makes them feel the best. I don't think there are many who could say they truly feel their best when they're eating poorly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

8.6 pounds
                          Gained?

Comment

• I agree BD, though the issue that I see is that people 1. Don't realize how poorly they feel because junk is all they've ever eaten and 2. Won't try a healthy diet due to the added effort involved, or 3. Simply dont believe it makes a dramatic difference. <br />
                            <br />
                            I have had so many people approach me and ask about my diet because they heard about my "near miracle". They won't even try some of the more simple recipes I've offered them. Even some sick people who have seen my progress won't try.<br />
                            <br />
                            I am saddened by it. A girl I've become close to, who also has a chronic health problem, will not try the type of diet that I've had such success with. She is suffering daily, painful and miserable but wont give my suggestions a try. <br />
                            I think she may be addicted to the pain meds, so that plays a role also. She is younger too, so maybe the stubbornness is at play too.<br />
                            <br />
                            It genuinely saddens me. Really. I have become so silly about food. I believe our whole approach to mealtime is unhealthy. We have drive through dinners, shove food in our bodies and never give it a thought.<br />
                            I make efforts to sit down with a meal and enjoy it. I enjoy washing my greens and preparing a meal. Yeah, I do realize it sounds a bit kooky, but I'm not twirling around the kitchen with greens in my arms I just believe in the power of healthy foods.<br />
                            <br />
                            Food and sleep are basics. Fundamental. <br />
                            Getting no sleep is also a sort of "cool" thing to do. Stay so busy that there's no time to sleep. I did that too. I'll sleep when I'm dead, was my mantra. <br />
                            Such a poor lifestyle choice. I hear people say that, and I tell them that being so busy that you aren't taking care of yourself is NOT cool. <br />
                            <br />
                            I will go on about this all day. I have strong feelings about our American lifestyle and the unhealthy and poor state of our culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post

Gained?
                              Yes. I gained that back after my fast.

It's mostly water and the food in the digestive system. For some reason, my body puts out insane quantities of water during my fasts. I'm guessing it has to do with ketosis. My urine is clear, but smells different and I have to go at least every 45 minutes. I could go hours without drinking anything and it won't matter. I've got to go - all day and all night.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X