Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

line in the sand with ingredients in products

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• line in the sand with ingredients in products

do you have certain ingredients that you avoid, and if a product has it, it goes back on shelf?

mine is high fructose corn syrup, can't believe how many products have it
    and how many products USED to buy years ago that have it, that now just won't buy

one day thought tomato soup with grilled cheese sand would be nice change for kid
    was not happy to see that tomato soup had the HFCS in it, also, so went back on shelf to my sadness
    (one of my favorite soups from childhood)

• so what are the ingredients that you are a stickler about avoiding?

Comment

• Animal flesh.

I don't have hard and fast rules on much else. Although I don't buy white grains (noodles, rice, bread, etc.) or foods that have sugar in the first few ingredients for home, I'll eat that kind of stuff when I'm out and about.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Make homemade tomato soup Amy!!

I avoid as much processed food as possible. MSG gives me headaches and really any other preservatives and flavor enhancers are out of my diet.
        I spend most of my time in the produce section. I swoop through the grains and legumes, few frozen veggies and canned items...all those sugars, salts, and fillers in foods are just not good for the body. I steer clear as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          I swoop through the grains and legumes, few frozen veggies and canned items...all those sugars, salts, and fillers in foods are just not good for the body. I steer clear as much as possible.
          I used to eat a lot of canned beans up until a few months ago. My wife would make these bean dishes, and all of a sudden her beans and mine were like night and day. I don't know where she picked up this technique, but she taught me and it changed my life. I don't touch the canned beans anymore.

Comment

• I cook beans from dry on occasion, because it's so easy, just takes time. Cooking for one, and the number of things I cook in a week was just leading to a lot of waste. So I've had to tweak my routine and try all sorts of alterations to recipes to avoid that. I hate waste of food. Few things I am bothered more by than throwing out spoiled food.
            I have several types of dry beans now. Black beans are a fave, and I recently found mayacoba beans that I want to try. Have you made them Still?

I've found that my cooked beans don't freeze we'll, so that wasn't working for me either.

Canned beans and olives I will buy. Artichokes also because I cannot seem to prepare the fresh ones at all correctly.
            I made a vegan chili recently and I did buy canned tomato sauce for that.

Otherwise I spend most of my time in produce. My fave local store has a great produce section. Lots of variety and good quality. They have roots and herbs and I get a bit giddy running around in there...Lol. It's so beautiful!

Comment

Make homemade tomato soup Amy!!
              good idea! (why didn't I think of that)

cutting up onions and garlic, making it tonight

Comment

• Kitty, I've never heard of mayacoba beans. I'll check them out if I can find them. I recently tried butter beans and they're awesome, but I never see them dry, only canned.

Comment

• I don't know what part of the country you're in Still, but I found them in the healthier foods section of my local market. I believe I also saw them at a health food store in bulk.

When I make them, I will update you.

Comment

• I made the mayacoba beans. They're just OK.

I made a veggie soup out of them. Probably with a meat flavoring they are good, but I prefer many others as a vegetarian choice.

Comment

I recently found mayacoba beans that I want to try. Have you made them Still?
                      Now the answer is yes. I made a pot of them last week and have had them by themselves with a little salt, with potatoes and vegetables, and with grains.

They're pretty good. They taste like a mix between lima beans and navy beans. They worked every way I tried them.

The funny thing is that I don't know when I got them. I have a big drawer with a bunch of beans in it. (I found some expired from as old as 2014). I was digging through looking for black, navy, or great northern (my favorites) and had forgotten about this thread until I saw them

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                      • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                      • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      Working...
                      X