Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for recommendations on a detox?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Looking for recommendations on a detox?

Hi! So I'm currently in the process of losing weight. So far I've lost about 12 pounds. I sorta got off track on my diet for about 2 weeks and I am back on it as of yesterday. I am looking to do some sort of detox cleanse type thing, not necessarily for rapid weight loss (though if I lost some weight from it that would be great) and nothing too extreme, I just want to cleanse my body in preparation for the diet. I suppose it's sort of a fresh start?

Anyway, I have NO clue where to begin and would appreciate any recommendations or info I can get. Thanks so much, & I apologize for my cluelessness!

• Ever do juicing/smoothies?

I like keeping some around and drinking them for at least the first meal of the day. I just got sidetracked yesterday on a "cleanse" that was supposed to be a month. I ended up doing 18 days and I'm feeling great. I plan on getting back on track tomorrow.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
      Ever do juicing/smoothies?

I like keeping some around and drinking them for at least the first meal of the day. I just got sidetracked yesterday on a "cleanse" that was supposed to be a month. I ended up doing 18 days and I'm feeling great. I plan on getting back on track tomorrow.
      I've never done juicing or smoothies, no. My first thought was tea because I just get a bag and scoop it out as I go...much quicker & easier haha. Although, if juices & smoothies give better results I will check it out! Do you have any recommendations?

Comment

• Originally posted by pastelcarly View Post
        Do you have any recommendations?
        As far as recipes, techniques? What do you mean?

Do you have a blender and/or juicer?

Comment

• I guess more than anything, I'm wondering what types of ingredients are helpful with this type of thing? I don't have a juicer and my blender is old and barely works so if I do go the juice/smoothie route I will need to buy them already made. If that even exists...

Comment

• Greens; bulbous, juicy fruits like melons and pineapples; citrus; banana; apple; berries. Those are what I use most of, but you can make them pretty much however you want. All of my smoothies and juices are "green," meaning I put greens in them. They're nutrient dense and do wonderful things for my body. I mostly use collards and turnip.

My recommendation if you wanted to try it would be to watch some videos about it and buy a juicer if it looks like something you want to do. A movie called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" got me interested back in 2012. I bought a juicer and never stopped using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
              Greens; bulbous, juicy fruits like melons and pineapples; citrus; banana; apple; berries. Those are what I use most of, but you can make them pretty much however you want. All of my smoothies and juices are "green," meaning I put greens in them. They're nutrient dense and do wonderful things for my body. I mostly use collards and turnip.

My recommendation if you wanted to try it would be to watch some videos about it and buy a juicer if it looks like something you want to do. A movie called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" got me interested back in 2012. I bought a juicer and never stopped using it.
              Ill have to check that movie out! I'm also surprised at how cheap juicers are...when you first mentioned that I was like "psh, yeah right, I can't afford a juicer" but I'm gonna look further into it now. Thank you!!

Comment

• Carly you can get juicers in every price range and level of quality. There are different types of juicers, in the way they process the food, so look into that also, as there can be considerable amount of waste with some types, vs others.
                I'd get an affordable one until you know you're going to stick with the habit, then move up to a better product.

Comment

• Originally posted by pastelcarly View Post

Ill have to check that movie out! I'm also surprised at how cheap juicers are...when you first mentioned that I was like "psh, yeah right, I can't afford a juicer" but I'm gonna look further into it now. Thank you!!
                  I got a alow-speed, masticating juicer and I really like it. It fits my style because I think it handles greens and harder plants better and the juices stay fresh longer. The down side is that juicing is slower with one like mine, so some people like the higher speed juicers. I haven’t felt the need to upgrade.

Either way, if you're into juices, the stuff you make will be in a different category than anything you've bought from a store. All of the juices I make are for me to live off of, so they're not very "fun." I remember the first time I made more of a dessert juice with some tangerines a few years ago and it just blew my wife's and my minds. We felt like we had been robbed all of our lives. It was that good - in flavor and the feeling it gave. We drank and stared at each other in disbelief.

She’s on a grapefruit juice kick, so I had been telling her to stop wasting money on “dead juice.” I finally made her one a couple of weeks ago. She was going on and on about it, saying it was alive, and thanking me for it. She was drinking it really slowly to stretch it out. I thought she was hyping me up a little, but she still had it a week later because she was drinking it so slowly. I finally tried some and it was the best juice I had ever had in my life, bar none. I asked her seriously had she ever had anything better and she said no.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                  • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                  • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                  • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                  • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                  Working...
                  X