Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nutrition and deficiencies

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• nutrition and deficiencies

if you do not eat a variety of foods, you could be deficient in one or more nutrients that your body needs to function at it's best
    the best source of nutrients comes from food, not supplements

it doesn't hurt to get bloodwork done every one in a while, especially if you are not feeling up to par

we can be eating OUR best but still be deficient in vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients
    especially if we eliminate foods from our diet due to preference, allergies, non availability, cost, etc

• Last year I found out a lot of the upper respiratory issues I have been having were from a vitamin d deficiency. It changed my life.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• The human body does need food with all the vitamins and minerals that keep it functioning properly. This is why some diets can be very bad for the body: the liquid diet has killed a few people. Any healthy diet should be about making the right food choices and being sensible.

Comment

• I was deficient in vitamin D, and started taking a supplement probably 4 or 5 yrs ago. I do think it helped mood, but I have since read some studies that may indicate that the supplements are not working as they once believed. I use sunlight as often as I can and skip the supplements. But regardless what the research is showing, I noticed a difference. Maybe the placebo effect, idk.
        It's best from sunlight, no doubt. I have been trying to follow the latest info coming out on it.

Comment

• read two or three books when first learning about fibro and got suggested supplements since knew I couldn't eat enough to cover everything
          not only was that very expensive but I saw no difference whatsoever
          recently cleaned out the back of some cabinets and couldn't believe how many old expired vitamins, minerals I had
          with a few left in each

now I see the lyrica adds on TV and they say they think it has to do with nerves
          whereas in the beginning, they thought it had to do with ATP, mitochondria, the whole energy production
          as well as lack of sleep and not being able to repair the body, muscle tissue
          when I used to get massages, she would try loosen up my connective tissue, so she said, that really hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            I was deficient in vitamin D, and started taking a supplement probably 4 or 5 yrs ago. I do think it helped mood, but I have since read some studies that may indicate that the supplements are not working as they once believed. I use sunlight as often as I can and skip the supplements. But regardless what the research is showing, I noticed a difference. Maybe the placebo effect, idk.
            It's best from sunlight, no doubt. I have been trying to follow the latest info coming out on it.
            I actually worry about supplements too. Thanks for sharing this.

There's no way it was a placebo effect for me, though. I had no idea what the causes of some of my issues were and didn't expect vitamin D to fix them. I even reluctantly took them at first, until I realized the huge changes normalizing my levels was starting to have. I wonder if the type makes a difference? The one my doctor prescribed is d2, but the ones my wife gets from the health food store are d3.

One of the things I also did was paid for time at a tanning salon. It was really cheap. You only need a few minutes in a booth to get the equivalent to a day's worth of sun. I bought around $20 dollars early last year and still have plenty of time left. I imagine it's healthier than pills.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
            • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            Working...
            X