• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended amount of takeaways/eating out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended amount of takeaways/eating out?

Hi everyone!
    Curious as to if anyone knows the recommended quantity PER WEEK for eating out(resteraunts/pubs) or ordering a takeaway/takeout (pizza shops, Chinese takeaways, McDonald's etc).

People say have 1 "cheat meal" per week but on a 3 meal a day basis equalling to 21 meals per week, having more than one "cheat meal" per week is fine...but how many. I feel eating out at a pub once and ordering a takeaway once per week sounds fine, yet others will only eat out once or twice per month?

I visited the US and I noticed the people I was with ate out like every other day...so their quanitity for eating out makes my "2 treat meals a week" sound angelic lol!

Originally posted by PinkSunflower View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Curious as to if anyone knows the recommended quantity PER WEEK for eating out(resteraunts/pubs) or ordering a takeaway/takeout (pizza shops, Chinese takeaways, McDonald's etc).

People say have 1 "cheat meal" per week but on a 3 meal a day basis equalling to 21 meals per week, having more than one "cheat meal" per week is fine...but how many. I feel eating out at a pub once and ordering a takeaway once per week sounds fine, yet others will only eat out once or twice per month?

I visited the US and I noticed the people I was with ate out like every other day...so their quanitity for eating out makes my "2 treat meals a week" sound angelic lol!
    You probably noticed a lot of obese people in the USA. Maybe all of those restaurant meals has something to do with that. All restaurant meals are not the same. A simple burger and fries (chips) does not compare to the deluxe meal package. If I were you, I would analyze your caloric intake and compare that to your caloric needs. Determine what you can alter to make the one or two meals fit within your diet. Maybe a very large cheat meal may not fit but two moderate ones may.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

jns I'm an physically active person and judt this month I've started monitoring my calories using a brilliant app.
      Yeah I see what you're saying, I mean the group of people I was with were college athletes so I guess it's easier for them to eat out.
      Some weeks all my food is homemade and some weeks I may go out to a resteraunt 2 times or ordering a Chinese takeaway with the family. So I was just wondering if any health professionals have recommended a weekly allowance of NOT homemade food kind of thing...ie, eating out or ordering a takeaway.
      Whilst in America I think I only went to one place which I wouldn't class as fast food, all others were whereas at home we have pubs and resteraunt which is practically homemade food but obviously there's items on the menus that should be have as a treat due to the amount of cheese and sauce and calories!

Comment

Yes, I was about to say that homemade food can be just as unhealthy.

If you're young and healthy, it probably won't hurt to have fast food occasionally, once a week perhaps. Just make the rest of your meals top notch nutrition. I personally never eat it. I think it's been nearly 2 yrs since I had to do a fast food chain meal. And it made me feel rotten.

I do go out to eat regularly tho. I go to nicer, usually local restaurants, not chains. There are some healthy things on their menus, and I can enjoy with no guilt. It's more relaxed, and usually only costs a few dollars more. Well worth the benefit.

**I take that back...there is a chain we used to order for lunch that I could get a decent meal from. Not regularly, but I would do that if no other option.

Comment

I agree with jns: a restaurant meal is not always the same. I'd look at your weekly diet and see whether one takeaway a week - or better yet a fortnight - might be best. I don't know your weight or body size, so only you can judge. I would not have more than 1 takeaway a week myself, however. But that is me, not you. Again, I'd take stock of what you're eating and write a meal plan. I do hope I've helped!

Comment

I agree with jns: a restaurant meal is not always the same. I'd look at your weekly diet and see whether one takeaway a week - or better yet a fortnight - might be best. I don't know your weight or body size, so only you can judge. I would not have more than 1 takeaway a week myself, however. But that is me, not you. Again, I'd take stock of what you're eating and write a meal plan. I do hope I've helped!

Comment

atskitty2 as soon as I'd posted about home cooking I did think of that when I said home cooking, I did mean healthy home cooked food, my apologies!
              I've just been out for a meal with my friends and put the specific southern fried chicken burger into "MyFitnessPal" and it came up saying 1,400calories!!! I honestly can't believe it. All it was was a piece of fried chicken in a bun, southern sauce and salad! Honestly how can that be right? Think I'll choose something else on the menu next time usually by the end of the day I'm left with 300-600calories spare but today I daren't even complete my meal diary after that one meal! A chinese takeaway would have worked out less calorific lol!

Comment

Originally posted by PinkSunflower View Post
                atskitty2 as soon as I'd posted about home cooking I did think of that when I said home cooking, I did mean healthy home cooked food, my apologies!
                I've just been out for a meal with my friends and put the specific southern fried chicken burger into "MyFitnessPal" and it came up saying 1,400calories!!! I honestly can't believe it. All it was was a piece of fried chicken in a bun, southern sauce and salad! Honestly how can that be right? Think I'll choose something else on the menu next time usually by the end of the day I'm left with 300-600calories spare but today I daren't even complete my meal diary after that one meal! A chinese takeaway would have worked out less calorific lol!
                Now you are getting it. Calorie wise a meal is not the same as another meal. Being aware and making changes due to that awareness is the key.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Yeah, that's key. Most people don't realize the fat and empty calories in those "meals". The sauces sometimes add huge numbers to the fat and calorie count.
                  It's a great place to start.

I would like to encourage you to look closely at nutrition, not just calories consumed.

Comment

Obviously, nutrition is very important and needs must be met. However, the odd takeaway won't kill you. But I would try to choose healthy meals and just eat your veg, really. But healthy does not equal boring: you can add loads of herbs/spices to your food and really enrich the flavour. Rice/pasta won't harm you and there is such a variety of meals. Basically, get cooking!

Comment

Working...
                    X