Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gut Health

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Gut Health

How do you look after your gut health?

I avoid foods that cause bloating: such as cereal and brown bread. I also avoid strong-fizzy drinks. I don't eat roughage like museli or all bran. In fact, I've found roughage actually makes me bloated, rather than helping my gut health. It actually worsens any flare up. I don't have a severe problem, but I do find certain types of food make my tummy uncomfortable. I just can NOT eat grains or all bran.

What foods do you eat for the health of your gut? Do some foods make you feel ill? Is it even something you consider in your every day diet?

• There's a lot to consider when discussing gut health, besides the obvious GI signs like gas, bloating and other symptoms. Microbial imbalance may be a reason you aren't digesting those foods properly.

Comment

• You could also have allergies and/or intolerances. Many people have an intolerance to dairy products due to lacking an enzyme for digestion. Also, some people have an allergic reaction to gluten. Search on [wheat allergy] and other similar terms.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I do find my gut doesn't like bread or cereal. Odd, but that is the way it is. Food really affects my tummy: if it is the wrong food.

There are many food intolerances, so you're all right about that. I do keep a food diary on my computer: I could add an extra column for when I get a sore tummy.

Anyhow, thank you all for your advice: it is appreciated.

Comment

• I wonder if it's the grains or something else in the cereal/bread. For example, if you just had plain oatmeal would you get bloated?

I found what kitty is saying about gut flora adjusting to be true when I cut out animal products. My gut just went berserk and I had terrible gas, especially when I ate beans. And I eat a lot of beans. My wife is a patient woman.

Now when I eat beans I'm fine. The bacteria adjusted. Unless you have a violent reaction, sometimes I think you just have bear side effects to eat things you know are good and let your body adjust.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I don't eat beans, yet when it comes to whole grain brown bread...The bacteria in my gut does not like such foods. I guess the only solution to that is to not eat cereal and avoid whole grain bread. Roughage I just can NOT digest without my my body reacting. I do not know why but I have always been sensitive to food. Others have a gut of steel: they can eat beans, brown bread, lettuce, lentils even and they're fine. I eat grains - like cereal - my body immediately tells me how upset it is.

Also, I have found a product online - I won't mention its name because this post is not spam - but the product could help calm my tummy. I saw it advertized in "Woman & Home" magazine. I shall buy said product soon. Because bacteria in my gut is the reason for all this stress. I HATE having bacteria in my gut and wish I had the gut of iron woman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
              I don't eat beans, yet when it comes to whole grain brown bread...The bacteria in my gut does not like such foods. I guess the only solution to that is to not eat cereal and avoid whole grain bread. Roughage I just can NOT digest without my my body reacting. I do not know why but I have always been sensitive to food. Others have a gut of steel: they can eat beans, brown bread, lettuce, lentils even and they're fine. I eat grains - like cereal - my body immediately tells me how upset it is.

Also, I have found a product online - I won't mention its name because this post is not spam - but the product could help calm my tummy. I saw it advertized in "Woman & Home" magazine. I shall buy said product soon. Because bacteria in my gut is the reason for all this stress. I HATE having bacteria in my gut and wish I had the gut of iron woman.
              Everybody has bacteria in their gut. Various bacteria colonize the gut shortly after birth and I suppose that the last bacteria die slightly after death as they no longer have an environment they can live in. Having bacteria is not a problem if they are the right bacteria that can help us digest foods and produce the micronutrients and vitamins that we need. The problems occur when we have bacteria that damage good bacteria or are harmful.
              Last edited by jns; 02-27-2020, 06:10 PM.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• My dad has told me this, jns, so you're right with your information. It just frustrates me that I have this issue. It is just a general unhappy feeling in my gut: sometimes it even makes me nauseous and gives me a headache. I do take medication prescribed by the doctor, but there is only so much she can do. I look after myself still: I eat a healthy diet and I don't drink or abuse drugs or anything like that.

Thank you for all your advice: I shall take it accordingly. I just have to eat right and take my prescribed medication.

Comment

• I received my Dida medication through the post. It does seem to be helping.

Anyhow, thank you all again for your advice!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X