Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough starter questions...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Sourdough starter questions...

Anybody familiar with them?

I usually make the starter the day before and use it all. However, I know some people swear by making a bulk starter, keeping it in the fridge and replenishing it as used.

I have some questions, if anybody out there is familiar with them.

• I make bread thoughout the cooler months but haven't had a lot of experience with sourdough but I thought the whole point was to keep the starter going so you can keep using it. I've heard that some people have starter they kept going for years.

Mother Earth News has had a number of articles on sourdough over the years. Maybe search their site?

Comment

• Yeah - for some reason, the two recipes I use the most, just have a starter recipe that they say to start the day before. But I was just reading one of my cookbooks and saw a recipe for a starter they say to start about 10 days before. It had instructions to replenish and part of it was honey, which I hadn't seen in a starter before, so I was curious.

Comment

• Get a copy of Laurel's Kitchen.
        Well, I take that back ... I just flipped through and it doesn't have a recipe for sourdough starter. But it's got all kinds of goodies about cooking bread, making your own sprouts, and keeping a sustainable kitchen. The only catch is that it's vegetarian/vegan/organic, but it has plenty of information for the casual kitchen. Also, google Hillbilly Housewife. It's got lots of e-books and more kitchen tips. I would be a different human being without those two sources, learned a lot about the kitchen from them.
        <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• I have some online friends who have done the 10 day starter but they call it friendship bread. I f you want more info let me know and I will check with them.
          "When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don't see the one that has opened for us."
          Helen Keller

Comment

• Thanks Little - I'll look into those. I love cooking, so I'm always looking for new cookbooks.

PJ - Friendship bread? Ooops, when I moved a friend of mine gave me a container of that, lol, had no idea what it was so I tossed it.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X