Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetarian Thanksgiving

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Vegetarian Thanksgiving

Ok I told Isabella I'd start this. Don't have time to post any recipes right now but I didn't want to forget. Mine's not going to be tofu, it uses seitan and it's even got stuffing and gravy!

• Acorn squash! Cut it in half, fill the middle with butter and pepper (or cubed apples, pears, etc and cinnamon) and put it in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Yummmm
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• I started the whole big recipe and lost it. So here's the gravy, I'll get the rest later. I'm tired.
      This is from the Nov 1995, Vegetarian Times

2 tsp margarine (not being vegan, I use butter)
      4 Tbs finely chopped onion
      4 rounded Tbs whole wheat flour
      4 cups seitan cooking liquid or water (the seitan is used in the main dish)
      4 Tbs tamari or soy sauce - IF you are using water rather than the seitan liquid
      black pepper to taste.

melt butter or margarine in heavy skillet over med heat (if it smokes it's too hot) Add onion and saute until soft, about 2 mins. Transfer onion to small ceramic bowl, wipe skillet with paper towel or napkin. Add flour to skillet, cook, stiring costantly, until it browns and has a "toasted" fragrance. (don't over cook but this will give your brown color and add flavor).

Remove flour from heat; add liquids. Return to heat, cook, whisking constantly until comes to a boil and thickens - about 5 mins. Stir in onion and pepper to taste. Cook another minute. If too thick, add some more liquid and simmer a minute.
      makes 4 1/2 cups.

Comment

• This has become a family favorite, even our hunters like it!
        No Turkey Turkey
        From Vegetarian Times, November 1995
        Really advise you read through the entire recipe before you begin
        2 1-lb loaves multigrain bread
        2 Tbs margarine or butter
        2 medium sized carrots grated or finely diced
        2 or 3 stalks celery, finely sliced or diced
        1 large onion finely diced
        Black pepper
        ¼ cup finely chopped parsley (or 1/8 cup dried)
        1 tsp crumbled whole leaf sage
        2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute
        ½ cup vegetable broth or water
        2 lbs “chicken” flavored seitan, sliced longways one inch thick
        1 cup Rich Brown Gravy (see post above)
        1 package frozen puff pastry sheets or yuba

Tear the bread into 1 inch pieces and let dry in a couple of large, uncovered bowls. Toss a couple of times to help dry evenly. Season with pepper, sage and poultry seasoning (a prepared herb mix). Place the puff pastry box in the refrigerator to thaw for 8 hours or overnight.

Melt the butter or margarine in a large non stick skillet (or well seasoned cast iron or anodized alum) over med heat (if it smokes, it’s too hot). Add carrot, celery and onion; sauté until lightly browned or onion is clear. Transfer to large mixing bowl and let cool. Add seasoned bread bits, parsley, egg (or substitute) and broth or water. Toss to combine and set aside for at least 30 mins to allow liquids to settle into bread.

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees . Line a good sized baking sheet with heavy duty foil and spray with cooking oil spray.

Brush the seitan on both sides with gravy (I usually just dip it); arrange in over lapping rows on the foil covered baking sheet. Mound it up in the center (Multiple layers) then gently press stuff mix around and over seitan to cover completely. Wet your hands and shape into a nice oval.

Roll the pastry sheets (usually 2 in a box) out to 1/16 inch thick and arrange, overlapping slightly to make a large rectangle. Seal the edges with water.

Drape the pastry over the mound and use kitchen scissors to trim excess away (save it). Use the scraps to cut decorative shapes to attach by dampening slightly with water. I have some cookie cutters in a leaf shape that look really nice for this. For a shiny crust, brush the pastry surface lightly with skim milk or soy milk.

Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours to golden brown. If it browns up too fast then tent with foil.

To serve cut straight down through the layers so that you get crust, stuffing and seitan. Can spoon gravy over.

Comment

• Chickpea and Tomato Soup

3 cloves garlic - chopped
          1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
          1 tsp ground corriander
          1/4 tsp caraway seeds
          2 Tbsp olive oil
          1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed or 2 to 3 cups cooked garbonzo beans
          1-1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes with juice
          1/2 cup drained roasted red pepper or 1/2 to 1 cup cooked red peppers
          3-1/2 veggie broth
          1 small can tomato sauce

heat oil on med in 2 qt sauce pan. Add garlic, corriadar and pepper flakes, cook for 3 mins.

Stir in chickpeas, tomaotes, red peppers, tomato sauce and broth. Let simmer, stirring often, for 15 mins.

Add salt and pepper to taste.
          Cool. Puree with electric stick or in batches in the blender.
          Reheat to serve.

Comment

• Thanks.....I'm gonna do my research on this but looks like I already have an idea what to make

Comment

• Okay I made a list of all the items for this and I'm actually gonna try to make the No Turkey turkey

I'm really tempted to eat meat but I think I'll try this recipe out instead....I'll post back and let you know how it turns out.

Comment

• Good Luck I think you'll love it.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X