Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Salsa Verde

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Chicken Salsa Verde

You may find it strange that i love to cook. I'm also not a recipe type guy and just love to make up fresh, tasty dishes. I am very health-conscious while still loving tasty food.

This is a fairly quick dish i threw together last night and ended up loving it. Very good, very fresh.

You need:

fresh red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper, sweet onion, trimmed and cleaned chicken breast, fresh cilantro, black beans, rice, a couple limes, and flour (or wheat) tortillas, a couple small cans of Salsa Verde (herdez is good or you can make your own) and Goya Adobo seasoning (optional).

Chicken
    -Clean and thinkly slice your peppers and onion into medium width strips

-Sautè your veggies in an EVOO/butter combination for a few minutes. Lightly sprinkle with Adobo seasoning (optional). Set aside

-Finely chop cilantro. set aside

-Brown chicken breasts in (deep)Sautè pan on each side. Cook about 1/2 way through. Just make sure they're browned on each side.
    -Poor in a couple cans, or jar (about 12oz total) salsa verde and your veggies. Stir lightly just to mix everything up. Reduce heat and cover.

-Let simmer for 6-10minutes, remove cover and take 2 forks and use them to pull your chicken breasts into strips (with the grain of the meat)

-Once chicken breasts are pulled, stir lightly, add 1/2 of your chopped cilantro, stir one more time. cover and let simmer another 5minutes

Rice mixture

- Cook or steam some long grain white rice (brown is fine too i'm sure)

-After rice is ready, simply add one can black beans (drained and rinsed) and the other half of your chopped cilantro.

- Squeeze both limes into rice/black bean mixture and mix well (but gently)

Serve

Warm your flour tortillas and stuff and wrap them with some of the chicken mixture, some rice mixture, sour cream, and sliced avacado.

Absolutely incredible.
    "I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, - and the stars through his soul."- Victor Hugo

• Yum!

I have two chickens in my freezer. Any recommendations for a quick and easy side to go along with a roasted one? Mashed potatoes? Pasta (boyfriend doesn't like it though)?

I'm a novice cook. My greatest accomplishments thus far have been apple pies and chicken soups. But hey gotta start somewhere.

Comment

• This sounds wonderful! I'll have to try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mes_T View Post
        Yum!

I have two chickens in my freezer. Any recommendations for a quick and easy side to go along with a roasted one? Mashed potatoes? Pasta (boyfriend doesn't like it though)?

I'm a novice cook. My greatest accomplishments thus far have been apple pies and chicken soups. But hey gotta start somewhere.
        potatoes are always good with chicken! although i usually opt for a good sautèd potato side than mashed potatoes.

Here is a really good one i tend to do whenever i'm doing chicken as the main dish:

Sautèd Fingerling Potatoes:

Buy some fingerling potatoes (they are these delicious small, thin-skinned potatoes that dont take long to cook.)

Buy about 1/4-1/2pound per person.
        Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.

-Preheat a large sautè pan with 1/2 EVOO and butter.

-Chop sweet onion into large peices(not strips)

-Quickly brown onion in sautè pan, remove from pan and set aside.

-Add more EVOO and butter and let butter melt.

-Once oil/butter is preheated, lay the fingerling potatoes into the pan with cut side down in the pan. try not to crowd them.

-Leave for a couple minutes just to get them browned underneath.

-Once browned, toss in your browned onion, and pour in a little bit of chicken broth/stock. just enough to cover about 1/4 way up the potatoes. Add some freshly chopped parsley and cover the dish and let simmer on low for at least 10minutes. Whats gonna happen is the potatoes will suck up that chicken broth as they cook and get all soft and delicious! Once there is no more chicken broth in the pan, the potatoes should be ready. Remove from heat and serve
        "I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, - and the stars through his soul."- Victor Hugo

Comment

• I usually do these potatoes as a side with a chicken dish i will have to write up for you guys one day. It has apricot preserves and aged white cheddar cheese white wine reduction..out of this world!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X