Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pies!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Pies!!!

Let's start with crust. I don't use shortening unless there is simply no alternative, so here is my oil based crust.

Single crust

1-1/2 cups flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup oil (I like olive but you can use canola or some other veggie oil)
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    5 Tablespoons water

Double Crust

2 cups flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup oil (I like olive but you can use canola or some other veggie oil)
    3 Tablespoons vinegar
    8 Tablespoons water

Sift flour and salt together at least twice. Measure oil, water and vinegar together in a measuring glass- don't stir. Add all at once to flour and salt, stir with fork just to lightly mix.
    Pie crust will not be flaky if you over mix or stir.
    You may need to gently work the dough with your hands.
    If double crust, separate into two balls.
    Roll out between two sheets of waxed paper or on a very well floured surface. A pasty knife is really useful to lift it from the surface.
    I like glass baking pans.
    Line your pie pan and flute the edges if a single crust.

If a pre-baked crust is required bake at 450 for 10 to 12 mins or until golden.

Use any left overs to make cinnamon sticks.
    Roll out the crust, place on a buttered cookie sheet. Liberally butter the Up-side, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, Use a wheel knife (otherwise known as a pizza cutter) to cut in strips, bake at 450 for 10 mins or until nicely golden.

• (to make Banana Cream),

Take your cooled pie shell - see above.
    Slice up two or three bananas and spread on your crust.

Pie Custard Filling

3/4 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch (you can sub 1/3 cup flour)
    a dash or two of salt
    2 cups milk
    3 egg yolks slightly beaten (save the whites you'll need them for the meringue)
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon of vanilla

Use a heavy bottom 4 or 5 qt sauce pan. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt, stir in milk. Cook and stir (good time to read a book while cooking) over medium heat until it's bubbly, Continue to stir and cook for 2 more mins.
    Remove from heat and stir a little of the hot custard into the egg yolks - if you are experienced you can start working some of the hot stuff into the yolk as you are cooking. STIR while doing this, you want to bring the yolk up to temp without them cooking and lumping up.
    Then gradually pour and STIR the yolk mixture into the mix in the sauce pan. Return to burner and cook for 2 more minutes while stirring.
    Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.

Pour into pastry shell (on top of bananas if making Banana Creme)

Top with Meringue (see below)

Comment

• Meringue

3 egg whites (saved from the custard)
      3/4 teaspoon vanilla
      1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (did you know that's the white stuff on grapes)
      6 Tablespoons sugar.

Put egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in large mixing bowl (love my Kitchen Aide for this )
      Beat until soft peaks.
      Gradually add sugar while beating, beat until forms stiff, glossy peaks.
      Spread over hot pie filling. I like to make little mountains all over.
      Bake at 350 until golden brown (10 mins)
      Oh, make sure the edge of the meringue touchs the crust or it will shrink up when it bakes.
      Let cool , cut with knife dipped in cold water (not dripping)

Comment

• MMMM. I've never been good at pies, perhaps this will help. If nothing else, it made me drool.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Old member

welcome back chaya

it must have taken time to divorce from your husband
          so there was time to change your mind, forgive, and stop the...

Yesterday, 05:54 PM By amy40
        • Reply to Old member

It really isn't a matter of being "wrong" or facing any sort of judgement. It is just a matter of doing what is best for you and your daughter....

Yesterday, 10:51 AM By Ashlee T.
        • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

It sounds like mini cakes are not a useful diet food, no matter how mini they are....

Yesterday, 02:00 AM By jns
        • Reply to Gut Health

Everybody has bacteria in their gut. Various bacteria colonize the gut shortly after birth and I supposes that the last bacteria die slightly after death...

Yesterday, 01:58 AM By jns
        • Reply to Old member

I think you have to trust what your heart is telling you: not what you "should" do. Do what will make YOU happy. Sometimes we all have to forgive...

02-15-2020, 02:20 PM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Old member

I haven't been on here for a long time. This forum helped me get my life together. Having reached a new low in my life, I'm back for more advice. I'm...

02-14-2020, 03:48 AM By chaya
        • Can I bed my mother in law?

I'm 40 married. My wife is ok if I bed other woman as far as she don't know who it is and it's not in the same bed as hers. We had a open discussion on...

02-11-2020, 01:12 PM By sam.extcool
        • Knowing when to push at the doctors?

Hello ladies!

A little bit of background. I am a 30yo mom of 3 kids (ages 10, 5, & 2) - I had all via c-section, also had my tubes...

02-10-2020, 02:30 PM By AnneDixon
        • Just to say Hi!!

Hello everyone, What's up?

02-08-2020, 04:45 AM By Emily2020
        • Dating married man and need advice

So I have been seeing someone for five months. During our third date, this man told me he was married, but was now divorcing. I believed him, however...

01-31-2020, 05:47 AM By MariaL
        Working...
        X