Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ma! The Meatloaf!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Ma! The Meatloaf!

Anyone have any good Meatloaf recipes? I've been craving something similar like this recently but don't want to use the traditional slathered with ketchup approach but want it to be moist and YUMMY!

Any suggestions??
    [COLOR="Magenta"]If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.
    -Andy Rooney[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.--Noel Coward [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Live your life and forget your age. --Norman Vincent Peale[/COLOR]

• Meatloaf

Understand that I make things like this by feel, rather than specific measurements

1 lbs organic, hormone free, BGH free, ground beef or buffalo
    Grate one med large onion
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
    a splash or two of tamari

Use your hands to squoosh this all together.

Add a cup and a half of dried bread crumbs (I save the bread heels, let them dry and run through the blender to make crumbs) mix well.

Shape in into a loaf pan. If you like you cac top with spiced tomato sauce, catsup, or bbq sauce

Bake at 350 for 45 mins to an hour, until meat is fully cooked.

Comment

• I've got this oh-so-yummy, but oh-so-fatty recipe for "Man Loaf" that I found online a while ago. It is delicious and my boyfriend loves it, but I don't make it very much just because of the healthiness factor (or lack thereof, haha). If you dare, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 pound bacon
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
      2 pounds ground beef
      3/4 cup soft bread crumbs/crushed crackers
      3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
      1 cup barbeque sauce
      2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Directions:

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x15-inch baking dish.

2.Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until beginning to brown, but still limp. Remove 1/4 of the bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Cut each strip in half, and set aside. Continue cooking the remaining bacon until evenly browned, about 10 minutes total. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble once cool.

3.Beat the eggs with 1/4 of the crumbled bacon in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the onions, salt, and black pepper. Mix in the ground beef and bread crumbs until evenly mixed. Cover a work surface with two 20-inch sheets of waxed paper. Pat the beef mixture into a 14x18-inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with Cheddar cheese and the remaining crumbled bacon. Roll the beef into a cylinder from one of the short ends to form a 14-inch-long loaf. Pinch the ends to seal in the cheese. Place into the prepared baking dish.

4.Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then brush with the barbeque sauce, and return to the oven for 20 minutes longer. Remove the manloaf from the oven, and drape with the precooked bacon strips. Sprinkle with the shredded Swiss cheese, and bake to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Comment

• I have a couple of turkey meatloaf recipes.

1.5lb lean ground turkey
        3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
        1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
        1 small diced onion
        1/2 cup low sodium diced tomatoes, drained
        2TB wheat germ
        1TB chopped garlic (or more, I LOVE garlic)

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a loaf pan.

Combine all ingredients in bowl and use your hands to form loaf.

Bake for 30-45 minutes or until temp reaches about 165.

Here's another one... This recipe came with a couple of different sauce recipes. Horseradish or Garlic sauce or you can use a standard tomato sauce recipe.

1lb ground turkey
        1 6oz can of tomato juice
        2 TB parsley
        1 TB celery flakes
        1 TB onion flakes
        1/4 cup egg sub
        pepper

Heat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well with hand. Form into loaf. Place in coated loaf pan.

Bake for 1 hour.

Sauces...

Horseradish sauce

1 cup fat free sour cream
        2 TB chicken broth
        2tsp paprika
        2 TB prepared horseradish

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

Garlic Sauce

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
        4 minced garlic cloves
        2tb lemon juice
        1/2 cup chicken broth

Bring chicken broth to a simmer in small pan, stir in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Comment

• I use the same general recipe as everyone else except I add a package of Lipton or Knorr Onion soup mix to the bowl before mushing it altogether. It will have a distinct more 'rich flavor' I guess you can say but it definitely makes a difference. Another suggestion is if you do not want ketchup smothered on the outside then sprinkle some brown sugar on the top or around the edges. It will caramelize, thicken and make a sort of crunch to it but still staying sweet just like bbq sauce or ketchup would do.
          There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Originally posted by KMonte85 View Post
            It is delicious and my boyfriend loves it, but I don't make it very much just because of the healthiness factor (or lack thereof, haha).
            Wow KM! You weren't kidding I bet my BF would love that too. Maybe I'll save that one for a special night when I've been extra extra good all week
            -Andy Rooney[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.--Noel Coward [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Live your life and forget your age. --Norman Vincent Peale[/COLOR]

Comment

• LB,

(Or anyone)

What exactly is "wheat germ"? I know I see it in things I buy and have seen in recipes and at the store but what exactly is it? And can I use it to make other things? Do I have to store it a certain way?

Is there anything else that is "comparable"?
              -Andy Rooney[/COLOR]

Comment

• Sourpuss could probably answer that better... But I'll take a shot.

It is basically ground up wheat kernels, certain parts anyways. Super duper nutritious. I think I read once that it generally has more protein than what can be found in actual meat.

You can add it to pretty much anything to make it more nutritious. Breads, cakes, meats, eggs, veggies, etc.

Comment

• Very interesting! I knew I had **seen** it in lots of things, but I guess I was always curious as to whether I could actually taste it. I might have to pick up some and try it then! Add that to my grocery list for this weekend!
                  -Andy Rooney[/COLOR]

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Old member

welcome back chaya

it must have taken time to divorce from your husband
                    so there was time to change your mind, forgive, and stop the...

Yesterday, 05:54 PM By amy40
                  • Reply to Old member

It really isn't a matter of being "wrong" or facing any sort of judgement. It is just a matter of doing what is best for you and your daughter....

Yesterday, 10:51 AM By Ashlee T.
                  • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

It sounds like mini cakes are not a useful diet food, no matter how mini they are....

Yesterday, 02:00 AM By jns
                  • Reply to Gut Health

Everybody has bacteria in their gut. Various bacteria colonize the gut shortly after birth and I supposes that the last bacteria die slightly after death...

Yesterday, 01:58 AM By jns
                  • Reply to Old member

I think you have to trust what your heart is telling you: not what you "should" do. Do what will make YOU happy. Sometimes we all have to forgive...

02-15-2020, 02:20 PM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Old member

I haven't been on here for a long time. This forum helped me get my life together. Having reached a new low in my life, I'm back for more advice. I'm...

02-14-2020, 03:48 AM By chaya
                  • Can I bed my mother in law?

I'm 40 married. My wife is ok if I bed other woman as far as she don't know who it is and it's not in the same bed as hers. We had a open discussion on...

02-11-2020, 01:12 PM By sam.extcool
                  • Knowing when to push at the doctors?

Hello ladies!

A little bit of background. I am a 30yo mom of 3 kids (ages 10, 5, & 2) - I had all via c-section, also had my tubes...

02-10-2020, 02:30 PM By AnneDixon
                  • Just to say Hi!!

Hello everyone, What's up?

02-08-2020, 04:45 AM By Emily2020
                  • Dating married man and need advice

So I have been seeing someone for five months. During our third date, this man told me he was married, but was now divorcing. I believed him, however...

01-31-2020, 05:47 AM By MariaL
                  Working...
                  X