What can I substitute for coke?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I substitute for coke?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What can I substitute for coke?

I hope this is the right place to ask this - I apologize if not

I've always had a very sweet tooth, and since I was young I used to drink a lot of coke. Recently I have started to drink more water and done very well with not drinking so much coke, but sometimes I get the odd craving for it and it's a craving that I always have to tend to. I like the taste of coke and pepsi, I don't mind the diet versions but I'm wondering what can I drink in stead of coke when I'm craving it? Coke makes me very bloated because of the fizzyness and I've noticed a very big difference in my stomach and how i'm feeling overall when I haven't drank coke or fizzy drinks. I think coke was my main problem with weight a few months ago as I used to drink it all the time.

So what else can I drink in stead of coke or pepsi when I'm craving it? I like water and flavoured water but they don't tend to my sweet drink craving, juices make my mouth too dry and I don't like any sort of tea or coffee.

• There really aren't any substitutes for that taste that I can think if. Particularly when it comes to the taste of cola's like Coke and Pepsi.

IMO, It's ok to indulge ONCE IN A WHILE.. sometimes you just really can't away from the craving, and as long as you don't do it all the time, you're fine. What if you buy those little cans of it? Not the full size ones, but the little baby ones. That will allow you the taste, without having an entire can/bottle of the stuff. This might be particularly helpful given that it seems to upset your stomach a bit.

My only other advice is to just give it up completely with the understanding that you can't really find something to "replace" the drinks when you're craving them. I've found if I want something like that, I'll chew a piece of sugar free gum, or I will brush my teeth. The intense mintiness flavor takes away my cravings for something sweet, because I know it isn't going to mesh well in my mouth.

Comment

• I may consider the smalls cans of coke, I haven't seen them around much but even a normal sized can would maybe do. I just know it is bad for you and I don't want to get back into the habit of drinking coke often. I used to go through at least one and a half big bottles of the stuff a day, some days not that much. I usually only get the big bottles on some weekends now and that's usually between me and my boyfriend, so I don't feel that bad if we drink the whole bottle.

I'm currently chewing some sugar free gum and it seems to have stopped me craving the coke, but I know as soon as I get rid of it i'll be craving it again.

Comment

• Coke is a tough one to beat. I used to drink a can of Diet Coke every morning (basically as my "cup of coffee") so I get it. Maybe try the small cans, just so you don't have the big bottles to tempt you to have more when you might just be able to quench your thirst with a taste.

I just did the gum thing and went cold turkey, and after about 10 days the cravings subsided. I still have one once in a while if I'm out to eat or something, but I don't feel like I WANT it all the time, and I don't keep it in the house anymore, ever.

Good luck, lady! Hope you beat the habit, because for as tasty as that stuff is, it sure is complete GARBAGE for your body!

Comment

• Have you tried any of those Kombucha drinks? My wife gets them every once in a while when she goes to the health food store. I tend to only drink them at night because they claim to have "trace amounts of alcohol," but I'm not a drinker and I get a buzz.

It's one of the new health fads. They're supposed to be healthy and cure every ailment known to man, but I can't speak to the truth of that. They might be better for you than a cola or they might be just as bad. They're pretty fizzy because of the fermentation.

The brand she gets is Synergy, but I'm sure there are others.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X