Keeping fruit fresh longer

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping fruit fresh longer

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Keeping fruit fresh longer

I found that if you put bananas in the refrigerator-even if they turn blackish on the outside,they are fine on the inside..they keep for days!
    Hey give me a break with my little ideas-my mother gave up on me with sewing and cooking

• I've found putting bananas in the fridge makes them go riper quicker, but maybe it is just the skin. I keep mine on the bench, and they easily keep for over a week. And if they get a bit ripe,I make banana bread or smoothies which are yum!

My boyfriend reckons if you keep bananas with other fruit they make the other fruit ripen quicker, so we keep them separate from the other fruit. Mostly I make sure to buy fruit that isn't quite ripe, so by the time you go to use it it hasn't gone off. I keep most fruit on the bench, but refrigerate melons and berries.

Comment

• Ripening fruit gives off ethylene which causes other fruit to ripen. I put bananas in the refrigerator when they get to full ripeness or slightly overripe. I find the refrigerated bananas cool and creamy. The slight overripe flavor is muted. I don't usually refrigerate melons until they are cut.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• try this Amazing banana bread

Comment

• fruits get ripe if you live them for long time in open place. but it is as usual in refrigerator. when you use it you should keep it in a dry place to get it at room temperature first.

Comment

• i love garlic bread its so yummy....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X