Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rapid Weight Loss Bad?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Is Rapid Weight Loss Bad?

I'll start with my question because it's the one I want answered, then I'll explain:

Have you or has anyone you know lost weight rapidly, like from a prolonged fast, diet, or gastric bypass and gotten bad side effects, like organ damage or some chronic condition?

I'm not asking for opinions, professional or otherwise. I'm looking for experiences.

I'm losing a pound a day. My wife said that she was told from some reputable source that she could safely lose a pound a week. WebMD said 3 pounds a week. But I know that people who've had gastric bypass lose weight at least as rapidly as I am.

Normally I do a green juice/smoothie fast for a week and that's all I can do, but this time I'm going for a month and am on track mentally to do it. I haven't had solid food at all in February. Half of the weight loss was in the first few days, then it tapered off. Some days I've lost 0 or .2 lbs. But a couple of days ago I lost 1.5 lbs in a day, so it's still going rapidly. When I looked in the mirror today, I saw an undeniable difference for the first time. It's not just water weight or food matter. That brings up the too-good-to-be-true doubts.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

• When I was on the Aikens Diet - high protein, low carb, I was losing up to 1/2 to 3/4 lb per day. Once finished with the two week induction phase it slowed significantly and it all came back once I started eating carbs again,. Usually the first weight that comes off is water-weight. This could be from your fatty deposits, around your organs or from your skin, liver or kidneys. The body has quite a bit of reserve calories before you do any actual damage so I'd guess a month wouldn't kill you, but could be upsetting the natural order of things. Also, if it came off really quickly it'll come back on in the same way. The safe was would be to lose no more than 2 - 3 lbs per week (for a male) 1 - 2 lbs for women. This usually ensures that it'll be a sustainable loss because you are eating all you need and not starving yourself. When your body goes into starvation mode (less than 500 - 800 calories per day), it will hang on to each and every calorie that it can. Your heart may slow for example, keeping your other organs starved of nutrients and of oxygen.

Are you drinking lots of water? You need to replace what you are losing and to keep your electrolytes up. Are you taking any type of supplement to supply the vitamins etc. that you need to function properly?

One of the funny things about low carb and liquid diets is that after about 2 days you will not feel hungry. This is why anorexics can go so long without eating.

If you are using this to kick start a weight loss, I'd probably opt to return to a low-cal, higher exercise type of regime.
    That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Thanks, Claret. So you didn't see any long-lasting detrimental effects? How long did you do it?

I always drink lot's of water. I'm not taking any supplements. The nutrients are coming from the food I'm juicing/blending. I am doing it for weight loss, but also to treat a condition that I have.

Comment

• The only input I can offer is the BF's weight fluctuation I mentioned elsewhere in the past, where he would seem to go up and/or down on the scale several pounds in a single day. He didn't seem to have any side effects, tho we never actually had him examined or anything. But he didn't complain of any pain/discomfort/weirdness.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Just make sure that you are getting all the micro-nutrients your body requires on an on-going basis. You need the vitamin a, c, d, B6, B12, etc. This is why I'd suggest getting a good supplement. You also need to make sure you are getting the calcium etc. The problem being if you don't supplement your body will start taking these from your muscle and tissue and try to re-distribute if you will.

Talk to someone at a health food store and see what they can recommend.

Re: juicing itself, what exactly are you using? Are you putting in fruits and veggies, how about kelp or chi seeds?

If you find yourself getting light headed, heart rhythm problems or fuzzy brained, it's time to stop.

I've never done more than a two day fast, using only water as my intake. The Atkins diet will allow me to go for about 1 month on the most stringent portion (Induction phase) before I break.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
            Re: juicing itself, what exactly are you using? Are you putting in fruits and veggies, how about kelp or chi seeds?
            Greens, fruit, seeds, nuts, vegetables, berries - anything that will juice or blend. By "chi" do you mean "chia?" I do use those or hemp seeds in my smoothies.

I'm not getting light-headed. If anything, I'm hyper-aware and energetic. I initially had some forgetfulness (locked myself out of the house, left my wallet, etc.) the first few days that had me worried, which I think was just cravings/hunger. The only major problems I'm having now are frequent urination and an inability to stay warm.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen1447 View Post
              The only input I can offer is the BF's weight fluctuation I mentioned elsewhere in the past, where he would seem to go up and/or down on the scale several pounds in a single day. He didn't seem to have any side effects, tho we never actually had him examined or anything. But he didn't complain of any pain/discomfort/weirdness.
              I missed this. Thanks. I do remember that. It's normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                Greens, fruit, seeds, nuts, vegetables, berries - anything that will juice or blend. By "chi" do you mean "chia?" I do use those or hemp seeds in my smoothies.

I'm not getting light-headed. If anything, I'm hyper-aware and energetic. I initially had some forgetfulness (locked myself out of the house, left my wallet, etc.) the first few days that had me worried, which I think was just cravings/hunger. The only major problems I'm having now are frequent urination and an inability to stay warm.
                Yes I meant Chia - fingers don't keep up with my brain it seems.

Once the carbs (sugars) leave your body and you start to burn and convert the fat into sugars for calories you will feel slightly euphoric - a type of clarity will come over you. This is one reason why carbs and sugars are so bad for you and should be ingested in lower amounts than what the average person will eat. When your liquid juicing is over, try to eliminate all white bread, sugars, pasta etc. Look for whole grains only.

Let us know how you do periodically and what your weight loss is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                  Look for whole grains only.
                  With few exceptions (restaurants - which I stay away from mostly) I only eat whole grains.

As of this morning I'm down 10 lbs since the first of the month. About 30-35 lbs from 2 years ago.

Comment

• doing exercise can recoup but in my point of view weight loss is the ideal workout and if your weight is losing by some diet control and exercise. that is good whether it is fast of slow reduction in your body.

Comment

• When I was on a ketogenic diet (basically the same as Atkins Induction,) I dropped something like 7 lbs of water weight when I went into ketosis - overnight. They call it a "woosh." I did keto for about 3-4 months last summer. I continue to live low-carb ... but not that low.

The only bad side effect was fainting spells if I tried to exercise while in ketosis - but I have fainting issues otherwise, so I consider it a "me" problem.

If you're getting more than 50g of carb in your diet daily, you are most likely NOT in ketosis, so my and Claret's experiences might not apply. If you'd like to know for sure, there are cheap pee strips you can buy from the pharmacy to find out in seconds.
                      <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• 7 lbs in one day is crazy! I don't think I have ever even heard of ketosis. Thanks. I may try the strips. I have no idea how many carbohydrates I'm getting.

Comment

• Heh, it's not "real weight" in my opinion - just an extension of that age-old advice concerning the weight on the scale - you can fluctuate pretty wildly from morning to night, and going into ketosis makes the most of it.

Ketosis is simply the state the body takes on when it runs out of sugar (or thinks it does, which can be very dangerous to diabetics) and uses fat as fuel instead. It comes with a few side effects in the beginning - bad breath, strong-smelling urine, water weight loss, etc.
                          <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• A normal healthy rate is 1-2 pounds give or take a week because your body can handle that change in metabolism as well as properly using fat reserves as an energy source. More than that and your body interprets the lack of food as a requirement to enter starvation mode and it eats up your fat/water reserves quickly hence the weight loss. Fasts/juice diets are notorious for quick results, because you are essentially starving your body, and having a lack of results and bad health effects in the end.

Before you started juicing did you consult with an actual medical professional? You may feel great after drinking up some Vitamin C but you can do some serious damage to organ systems if you suddenly have an abrupt change in your body's physiology as in the case of only drinking juice. If doctors are not your idea of medical professional for this you can search for the opinion, face to face, with a nutritionist or dietician.
                            There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Thanks IAS. Do you actually know of someone who has had organ damage from rapid weight loss or it's just something you've heard?

The way I figure it, if my body wants to burn fat I've got plenty of it stored up to burn. I didn't consult a doctor, but I'm not opposed to it. I've been doing week-long fasts for almost two years off and on and have had dropped a bit of weight over that period along with other drastic improvements in health. I've been to the doctor a couple of times over that period and there's been nothing alarming that has jumped out to them. The one concern that they did have was elevated blood glucose. It wasn't in the danger zone so when I called back about it they told me that it was normal. But face-to-face the doctor told me to watch it. I'm due for another checkup soon. I'll speak to them about it.

From my understanding, the medical profession is not opposed to rapid weight loss since they prescribe it for people on quite a regular basis with the gastric bypass surgeries or lap-band procedures. A lady in my office just lost 80+ pounds over a couple of months after her bypass and what she was drinking was nowhere near as nutritious as what I am, from what I could tell. I definitely don't think what I'm doing is as drastic a change in physiology as cutting into someone's body and rearranging their organs.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Career Mom Guilt Is Real. Have You Ever Experienced It? - Let's Discuss!

Mom guilt is real! I love my profession and I love being a mom, but sometimes balancing the two can leave us moms feeling less than enough in both....

Today, 10:46 AM By Rebecca Z.
                              • Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Yesterday, 04:33 AM By Timf
                              • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

10-20-2019, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

10-20-2019, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

10-20-2019, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X