Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rapid Weight Loss Bad?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do you actually know of someone who has had organ damage from rapid weight loss or it's just something you've heard
    I do not personally but the prof's that taught me in University would mention patient cases of malnutrition that happens and the complications that can arise.

the medical profession is not opposed to rapid weight loss since they prescribe it for people on quite a regular basis with the gastric bypass surgeries or lap-band procedures.
    Surgical means are in no way similar to juice fasting fads that arise from the internet. That is extremely monitored and not everyone is even approved for gastric surgeries. Fasts are fad diets plain and simple. A person who goes in for surgery is not told to go on juice fad diets, they are told to completely change their diet and exercise routines. Apples and oranges my dear.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ItsASecret View Post
      Fasts are fad diets plain and simple.
      The ingredients I'm using are ancient. Fasting is ancient too, not a fad. It's done wonders for my health, IAS. The first time I did it for one week the hemorrhoids that had plagued me from age 19-36 daily went asymptomatic for over a year and a half. They only came back in November when my wife and my supervisor talked me into taking vitamins. I'm asymptomatic again after stopping the vitamins and juicing.

I do agree that it's "apples and oranges" when compared to a recently developed surgery that causes complications for 1/6 and kills 1/200. That's more a fad than drinking plants and fasting.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• The ingredients I'm using are ancient. Fasting is ancient too, not a fad.
        Yes eating some seeds, potatoes, and apples is good for your health and has been a source of food for a very long time however people did not live off of juice diets in ancient times. Truly ancient foods are non-existent these days, thanks to genetically modified foods (may not want to look up what other things your drinking by only eating those GM'd fruits and veggies). Fasts and juice-only for weight loss are a fad which is a reason they are not recommended, fasts for religious purposes are entirely different as well. Drinking juiced fruits and veggies is a great way to get some extra nutrients into an already existing healthy diet, but that is the key...an already existing healthy diet. Doctors and nutritionists will not knock on drinking a nice glass of carrot juice but they will knock on only drinking carrot juice for the day. All I am saying is you really need to watch yourself and not think that excluding solid foods and living off of juice is a sure fire way to stay healthy and lose weight properly. Speak with a doctor at the very least.

I do agree that it's "apples and oranges" when compared to a recently developed surgery that causes complications for 1/6 and kills 1/200. That's more a fad than drinking plants and fasting.
        Very much is apples and oranges. Surgery vs. drinking a piece of kale type of apples and oranges lol. No doubt surgery can have complications though, as discussed with patients, and patients still end up agreeing to it. Many of whom may have already tried a juice diet. I am not sure I would even agree to the drastic measures of a gastric surgery, but I personally would also never go on a juice only diet as I know I would need to visit a doctor quite often to monitor my health.
        There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Thanks IAS. I understand your concerns. I actually share some of them! That's why I started the thread.

I'm not trying to encourage you or anyone to do it. Most people can't pull it off anyway. You need a powerful motivation. I was 282 pounds two years ago - entirely too heavy. Stuff kept going wrong for me healthwise. I didn't feel well. I was excusing some of it because I'm muscular, have a big frame, and could still move really well. The best medical professional I've ever dealt with saw it without me even saying it and told me that it my build doesn't matter, because my belly was telling the tale. My doctor before her told me that I was going to keep having problems when I came to him for help with a heel spur. "Your knees are next," he said. I took drastic action.

This morning I weighed myself and was 242. I don't bleed and hurt every time I use the bathroom. I feel great, mentally and physically! The only downsides I'm seeing is that I'm cold, my clothes are too big, and I want a big plate of nachos. So I'm beyond the boilerplate warnings of Western medicine on this. What I'm trying to see is if anyone has any actual experience with this or at least knows someone firsthand who does to see if there's something I might be missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by weightloser1
            rapid weight loss is bad in one condition. if you are suffering from health disease or some kind of health issue. but if you are taking some major action with perfect diet control and exercise. definitely your weight will loss in rapid way. i think so.
            Thanks weightloser1. I just did my morning weighing and actually gained weight. In a way, it's sort of comforting because I have this concept drilled in my head that rapid weight loss is bad. I'm just wondering exactly what that's based upon, though. I think I'm tending to agree with you. Nutrition is probably the real issue, not weight loss.

I've seen you posting here and there and I don't know if anyone has told you this...Welcome to WH!!!

Comment

• the thing is, in my experience, you still need to intake curtain things. your body need those curtain fuels. but with that im not talking about cravings. like mcdonalds or fast foods. when you starve your body, it can be harmful. if you take 40+ yrs ago, we didnt have curtain foods like today, and most people were really healthy. its to find that right balance between you, food and exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamie.cooper View Post
                in my experience, you still need to intake curtain things.
                Thanks, jamie.cooper. What experience? What things do we need to intake?

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                  Let us know how you do periodically and what your weight loss is.
                  I'm almost through my month. I'm down around 20 pounds. My weight loss slowed pretty dramatically. I think that some of it has to do with my weight training. Quite a few days I didn't lose and once I even gained. I'm so much slimmer, though.

I've experienced some emotional irregularities, which is unusual for me. It's also odd because I physically feel good and mind seems exceptionally sharp. I'm rarely depressed and if I am it's because of something going bad. Here I am slimming up - which is what I've been wanting for so very long - yet I'm often down. What's probably keeping me going is exercise and work. I have to laugh at the dichotomy between what I want and what I'm experiencing.

I sale. So I want to look good. One of my prospective clients said, "Normally you dress so nicely, but you don't look right today." She's right. I look like a clown in some of my clothes.

I want to do my husbandly duties better. My wife hurt herself when we "got together." We talked it through and apparently it's because my legs are skinnier and the way she's grown accustomed to doing things to get where she wants to go no longer works well. A few hours before she told me that I noted that my always scrawny legs were looking like they belonged to a weak old man. I told her I'm never going back. She says we need a new bed. I'm going to have to stop skipping leg day.

The machine I use for resistance training uses my own weight. I was already maxing the capacity or close to it on many exercises when I was 40 pounds heavier. Now I'm really having issues. I need new equipment.

Comment

• The emotional thing is interesting ....I'm beginning to think that emotional 'balance' is really nebulous and dependent more on chemistry than a person's determination or mindset. It might make sense in your case, as (I'm not a dietician or a chemist here, just musing) I assume it's possible your diet changes might bring about unpredictable changes in brain chemistry. "You are what you eat" and all that.
                    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• It's very interesting, jen. I'm not accustomed to feeling the way I am. I'm not sure what it is.

I've done a week before and I don't remember the mental phenomena. This time it started with me being very forgetful. I was concerned that I wasn't getting something I needed. Everything felt "gray." But then I started hearing and seeing things that I wouldn't normally, even when I wasn't paying attention. All the way at the other end of a large crowded restroom a man walked in with a cooler and I saw drips coming from something that had come open from the inside. I yelled out that he had a spill. In the grocery store thinking about some pizza or something, I hear a very quick double beep and see that the lady in front of me had been rung twice for milk. I don't even catch the mistakes on my own bill until I get home normally. I hear a song playing in the background that I've heard a zillion times that I now realize is about something completely different than I thought. It has a profound impact on me and I feel like I'm going to weep.

At the same time that it feels like some of the color has been sucked out of the world, I'm hyper-aware and emotional.

Comment

• Most health experts agree that fast weight loss is bad weight loss. Instead, they recommend that people lose weight at about a rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week. And though this may not seem like a speedy rate of weight loss - especially when compared to some of the outrageous claims made by diet companies - a 2-pound-per-week loss of fat would mean you'd be 24 pounds lighter in just twelve weeks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                          The one concern that they did have was elevated blood glucose. It wasn't in the danger zone so when I called back about it they told me that it was normal. But face-to-face the doctor told me to watch it. I'm due for another checkup soon. I'll speak to them about it.
                          UPDATE: I had my annual checkup and just got my results back. My doctor was very pleased with my weight loss. When I told her about the juicing she was concerned. Protein was a big focus. She also expressed concern about lack of fiber and the potential effects of extreme changes in diet over long periods of time. When I told her more about what I do, her concerns seemed quelled a bit but she still expressed caution and said we'd see how my numbers were.

In my adult life I've had four areas of concern: low HDL cholesterol, low vitamin D level during the winter, high triglicerides, and glucose creeping toward the upper limit(my biggest concern). My numbers showed: normal trigliceride levels, normal cholesterol, low vitamin D (but substantially higher than it was the past two years), and glucose near the lower end for expected levels.

I haven't discussed the results with the doctor, but I'm viewing this (along with the amazing results ive seen and felt) as a sort of confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.

Comment

• Rapid weight loss is not good! Your body is tricked into thinking this is permanent so it starts to conserve weight so when you resume consuming more calories you will gain even more weight. Slow weight loss combined with excercise is better.

Comment

• Yes rapid weight loss is dangerous, if weight loss done through proper exercise and diet by taking some time then it can be good for your health.
                              Patientcalls

Comment

• UPDATE

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                                I've experienced some emotional irregularities
                                I'm now fairly convinced that the answer to the question in the title is: No, rapid weight loss is not bad. In fact, it's very good if you're fat.

There are, of course illnesses that could cause it, or other bad ways to do it. I was addressing hunger with water. That was a major problem for me and probably the source of the negative phenomena I was experiencing.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
                                • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

Yesterday, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

Yesterday, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Reply to Nice to meet you!

Welcome to WH! I look forward to reading your posts!

Yesterday, 04:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
                                • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                                • Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
                                • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
                                • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
                                Working...
                                X