Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exercise is best to lose weight?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What exercise is best to lose weight?

Hi, what exercise would you recommend to lose weight and get rid of excess fat in areas? I am stuck at a size 12 or S, and my weight sticks at 9st 11lbs :-/. I wondered if there was any specific exercise that would burn fat in areas that I don't like, such as my thighs and stomach, chest and hip area and help me lose weight. I'd really like to lose weight and be a lot smaller, although I get told that I'd never be as small as I'd like to be (around a size 8) or get legs like I'd like (skinny). Does anyone know?

• How tall are you?

You can't reshape your natural body in a drastic way without surgery. You can lose weight over all and tone up areas of concern for you.
    Eating healthy is very important too.
    I would encourage you to live a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. That's how I've managed to maintain a weight loss for awhile now. Make changes that give you satisfaction in how you feel, and it's much easier to stay on course.

I would also encourage you to use YouTube and other sites for exercise instructions. Using proper technique is important as well. Otherwise you risk injury and won't get the full benefit of your efforts.
    Keep in mind you may also stay the same weight for a time, as you lose fat and add muscle while toning.

From my conversion, it seems you weigh approx 138 pounds, which, to me, doesn't seem unreasonable for an adult.

Your birth control also, as referenced on another post, may be adding weight.

Comment

• You can't burn fat in specific areas. Only generally. You can develop muscules in specific areas but that wouldn't make your legs any more skinnier.

Comment

• Atskitty2, I'm 5'2 in height. I do try and be healthy, I don't stuff with sweets and fatty things like that because, honestly, too much makes me feel sick. My depo shot hasn't increased my appetite, in fact it's done slightly the opposite. I know 138 pounds sounds ok-ish, but on my body it makes me look a bit wobbly in places, especially around my stomach, hip and thigh area, which is what makes me think I should be smaller than that to look better.

Pearlami, I don't want to be muscular, then I'd look bigger!

Comment

• Then doing some cardiovascular and some light weights with more reps will probably give you results. Some pilates or yoga may help you too.

I eat low carb and control portions, & I've maintained my initial 10-12 pound loss for 2 years. I lost an additional 10-12 pounds last winter and have kept it off now 8 months.

The secret really is making changes you can live with long term. Changes you can see results with and keep you motivated.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips :-)

Comment

• The god particle 4 all sphere really helped me lose weight. I'm still at the beginning of the way but it just feels like i have more energy and more motivation, so both eating healthy and exercising is easier.

Comment

• I think you wish to lose fat on your stomach area and thigh area. According to me, you have to workout for these areas. There are many exercises to reduce fat in such areas, like crunches for stomach, running on stairs for making your thigh in shape, side squat for thighs, etc. Along with these, running is also very beneficial to lose weight as well as to increase strength.

Comment

• Regular exercise will ensure that your body will always be in top condition to burn off excess pounds. However, if you want to burn off excess calories and become fitter, you need about 30 to 45 minutes of exercise per day.

High intensity interval training workouts are your best bet in losing weight, they can be done in short time period and are more effective than conventional cardio workouts. You can find some HIIT exercises by searching online. Check out my ebook below, you'll find a lot of valuable info to help you lose weight and keep it off, and it's free.

Also, exercise is not effective if you are not eating well, so watch what you eat and be sure to balance what you are eating with the amount of physical activities you will be engaging in for the day.
                  Discover how small, permanent changes will give you PERMANENT and POSITIVES results in weight loss--The Ultimate Guide To Permanent Weight Loss. Free Download. http://weightlossthruexercise.com

Comment

• Great tips!

Comment

• Hello, everybody! I hope my story will be of help to some of you. I struggled a lot with neural hypersensitivity, which lead to a bizarre weight loss and gain rapidly, and mostly in belly and hips area. I do like to enjoy my food, but really, I am a vegetarian, I do not eat snacks, drink beverages, don't eat bread, it is mostly veggies for me. I work out as much as a job in a museum can allow me - bike, some light weight lifting, walking a lot, but it seemed that from hips and around belly button this fat wouldn't go. I ventured out to try keto diet, a vegetarian one. The progress is slow, but it kinda makes you be more aware of what you it, and how you use it and work on it during your exercise, especially if you have some additional troubles with your blood, hormones, nerves, etc. keto calculator helped me a lot (once again, maybe I am more analytical as a museum person) but when I have the numbers, I can manage my nutrition and fitness better, and I am already a few pounds lighter. Maybe you can try to find some alike calculator compatible with your nutrition, so you can know how to manage your work out?
                      Last edited by jns; 09-04-2017, 10:35 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

• I stand by running as the best exercise. A good rule of thumb is if your body is exhausted (heart pumping and lungs gasping for air) then it's going to get you into a shape quickly. On the other hand, it's important to do something that you relatively enjoy and you will stick with, otherwise it's useless.

Comment

• There is a lot of confusing surrounding whether it is more beneficial to do cardio or weight training to get the best weight loss results. They both have their pros and cons and this article will outline these are how you can implement all the info given to you in the article.
                          Last edited by jns; 09-15-2017, 02:12 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                          X