Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can stretch marks form (aside from sudden weight gain/loss)?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• How can stretch marks form (aside from sudden weight gain/loss)?

I noticed that I have some pretty noticeable and decently large stretch marks on the outer/front sides of my upper thighs. They're not raised but they are white (probably my "natural" skin tone) and are very visible against my tanned skin. While I'm not very stressed about getting rid of them, I don't want them to get worse so I'm trying to figure out how I got them.

I have never experienced any great fluctuations in weight. From memory I probably slowly went from 85-112 from 6th to 12th grade, so in a span of 6 years. Since I also grew taller probably from like 4ft 7in to 5ft 1.5in along with other developments, I would say that this weight gain was slow and normal. My biggest change in lifestyle was joining high school sports, which definitely increased my muscle mass (and my weight) which was something that I didn't have before. But again, since I didn't have a steady training regimen of trying to gain muscle, this change wasn't significant and I didn't bulk up massively. In this period, I was definitely more active but I was also eating and snacking a lot more so in hindsight, I gained more muscle AND fat and definitely did not lose weight even with the sudden increase in daily exercise since I also increased the calories I was consuming.

After high school until my 2nd year in college (now) I had a pretty large drop in weight. Please let me emphasize that this wasn't because of unhealthy eating habits but from dietary and lifestyle changes. I used to love drinking soda and eating junk food and not really caring about what and how much I eat (coming from parents who always praised me if I finished everything), but after finding out that my family has a pretty high genetic risk for diabetes and hypothyroidism, I stopped consuming all sugar drinks (except occasionally for special events), started keeping track of macros and calories, and stopped having such a sedentary lifestyle. I wasn't necessarily active (running, lifting weights, etc) but I made sure if I could, I was always moving around and not sitting for the whole day. For example, if I was reading a textbook, I would be doing squats or wall sits or walking around in the room instead of just sitting and studying. I ended up shedding a lot of pounds naturally from this. I went from 112-97lbs. I know this is pretty large considering my starting weight, but I was never really "big" enough where I would feel my physical body/skin would change quickly enough for me to develop stretch marks. I noticed I've had the stretch marks for about a year or two now but I definitely did not have these during high school where I had my largest weight gain. Some have also gotten bigger and/or deeper in color even though my weight has stayed in the 96-99 range for the past half year (very stable weight). Any help or hypotheses? Because I don't know how I got my stretch marks, I don't really know how to get rid of them or keep them from getting bigger except moisturizing but that hasn't really helped seeing that some are still getting bigger.

PS: I'm East Asian and remember, I'm pretty short, so please don't tell me anything about how my weight is unhealthy based on Western BMI standards, because I'm still in a healthy range for my body type and ethnicity.

• true cause of stretch marks is hormones
    periods of growth such as pregnancy and teen growth spurts there is a change in hormones/ change in the metabolism in the skin
    the skin is expanding as your body is expanding, “but it’ is the hormonal changes and not the ‘stretching’ that is the cause of stretch marks

Comment

• Try treat it DIY peeling. 3 or more times a week prepare peeling with coffee and coconut oil, your skin will be softer and more elastic. You just need improve your blood supply. Of course it can't disappear, but will be less visible.

Comment

• Originally posted by yueli View Post
        I noticed that I have some pretty noticeable and decently large stretch marks on the outer/front sides of my upper thighs. They're not raised but they are white (probably my "natural" skin tone) and are very visible against my tanned skin. While I'm not very stressed about getting rid of them, I don't want them to get worse so I'm trying to figure out how I got them.

I have never experienced any great fluctuations in weight. From memory I probably slowly went from 85-112 from 6th to 12th grade, so in a span of 6 years. Since I also grew taller probably from like 4ft 7in to 5ft 1.5in along with other developments, I would say that this weight gain was slow and normal. My biggest change in lifestyle was joining high school sports, which definitely increased my muscle mass (and my weight) which was something that I didn't have before. But again, since I didn't have a steady training regimen of trying to gain muscle, this change wasn't significant and I didn't bulk up massively. In this period, I was definitely more active but I was also eating and snacking a lot more so in hindsight, I gained more muscle AND fat and definitely did not lose weight even with the sudden increase in daily exercise since I also increased the calories I was consuming.

After high school until my 2nd year in college (now) I had a pretty large drop in weight. Please let me emphasize that this wasn't because of unhealthy eating habits but from dietary and lifestyle changes. I used to love drinking soda and eating junk food and not really caring about what and how much I eat (coming from parents who always praised me if I finished everything), but after finding out that my family has a pretty high genetic risk for diabetes and hypothyroidism, I stopped consuming all sugar drinks (except occasionally for special events), started keeping track of macros and calories, and stopped having such a sedentary lifestyle. I wasn't necessarily active (running, lifting weights, etc) but I made sure if I could, I was always moving around and not sitting for the whole day. For example, if I was reading a textbook, I would be doing squats or wall sits or walking around in the room instead of just sitting and studying. I ended up shedding a lot of pounds naturally from this. I went from 112-97lbs. I know this is pretty large considering my starting weight, but I was never really "big" enough where I would feel my physical body/skin would change quickly enough for me to develop stretch marks. I noticed I've had the stretch marks for about a year or two now but I definitely did not have these during high school where I had my largest weight gain. Some have also gotten bigger and/or deeper in color even though my weight has stayed in the 96-99 range for the past half year (very stable weight). Any help or hypotheses? Because I don't know how I got my stretch marks, I don't really know how to get rid of them or keep them from getting bigger except moisturizing but that hasn't really helped seeing that some are still getting bigger.

PS: I'm East Asian and remember, I'm pretty short, so please don't tell me anything about how my weight is unhealthy based on Western BMI standards, because I'm still in a healthy range for my body type and ethnicity.
        I tend to think it might be somewhat genetic. My wife is from Thailand and I have been in most countries in mainland Southeast Asia. Women there are generally not overweight nor do they go into weight training. A lot of them get stretch marks on their thighs, even without having children. Here is an article supporting my observations: Google [Stretch marks: Frustrating, embarrassing, and for some an issue that’s more than skin deep] and go to the Mercury News article. I don't find the stretch marks objectionable myself.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X