Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A C 4

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• No I don't think so, but inflammation worsens it, and inflammation is what i try to fight through diet.
    Seasonal changes and some changes at work have flared up the asthma. Not sure if I will be able to get it settled down on my own. Exercise is not a good idea with asthma troubles

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
      I was reading on a new "90 day bikini challenge" I'm doing.
      BD
      did you do the whole 90 days?
      how are the rest of you doing?

Comment

• I want to lose wt before the holidays

Comment

• My exercise and gym time have not been consistent with the travel and change in routine. It could be worse but I'm doing what I can to keep on track. Diet isn't on point either but again, I've done the best I can. I DO feel the difference so, it is motivation not to slip any more than has been necessary.
          It is difficult to make nutritional meals on the road, and it's hard finding suitable restaurants, even with the GPS in my car, and web at my fingertips. Lol
          And honestly some nights I just need a more substantial meal than raw veggies from the store.

I feel like a homeless girl with money... Lol
          Money to buy what I need to cook a great meal but nowhere to cook it properly.

I have found some great ways to make a delicious and healthy, filling salad type meal with no cooking necessary but, like I said some nights I need a more filling meal.

Thankfully the company I work for now is pretty flexible and encouraging of exercise. Theres a group that walks a mile almost daily that I try to get in on, but I don't always hear the call for it. It's colder and windy there also and I don't imagine my body will tolerate the outside much longer.

All in all, I'm doing OK. Making the best of the time and chances to keep the healthy habits on track.

Comment

• Things are going better than I could have imagined this way. I'm still overweight, but slimmer than I've been in decades. I'm more energetic than I've ever been - mentally and physically. Every single aspect of my life has improved and is improving, bar none - spiritual, marital, sexual, physical, career. People respond to me differently. Amazingly, my wife has gotten slimmer too.

The culture surrounding food in America is messed up on so many levels. I'll never go back to how I lived and ate before. I'll keep on slimming until I'm satisfied with my weight. It's simple to lose it.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I do a lot of walking, but other than that, I don't do any other exercise. However, I am strict with myself diet-wise. I do have a weakness for Mars Bars, however! LOL. I just don't consume the calories. I only eat a little every day. I just don't feel hungry these days. Anyhow, exercise is great, so I'd advise anyone do it. It doesn't have to be at the gym: it could be swimming or jogging. The options are limitless. Good luck for anyone keeping fit. It is definitely worth persevering with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                It's simple to lose it.
                men are so lucky; so much easier for men to lose weight

weigh myself in morn
                drink a cup of tea and weigh later to see what I can eat for lunch
                but often find myself up a pound after only having tea

yesterday was down 2 lb
                since only slept 4 hrs cause in so much pain, I know those 2 lb will probably be back due to lack of sleep

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                  men are so lucky; so much easier for men to lose weight
                  It's the same.

My wife wasn't being half as strict as I was and she lost weight. You just need to start burning your fat reserves. That means more is going out than is coming in. Simple.

Comment

. Simple.
                    it's a simple equation

was once in line for the food at a women's retreat
                    and I heard a skinny person a few spots behind me saying how easy it was to not gain weight/to lose wt

imagine I was her when I was stick thin
                    just do this, just do that

but it's not just an equation for most people

Comment

• The math and chemistry are pretty simple, sure and that is just biology.

There are variables tho, that make it more difficult for others. Metabolism and age, to start. Metabolism can be managed, it's just a factor.

Generally I think the attitude towards food and our health is all wrong in the US.
                      Muscle to fat ratio and strength are important. I think basing healthiness on weight is a good thing to change. Obviously weight is an indicator, but it shouldn't be the goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                        Metabolism and ageMetabolism can be managed, it's just a factor.
                        interestingly, heard on one of our health segments that metabolism doesn't play as much of a factor as we think
                        instead they said, it's that peopl become less active as they age

do believe that as watching our kid and kids in neighborhood, they never stop moving and are always running and jumping
                        even just to go over to someone's house to knock on door, they run

Comment

• If you are overweight because of too much fat, cutting back on how much you eat until you're burning fat will cause you to lose weight. PERIOD. Your age, health, how much you exercise, other people's situation, etc. is just noise.

For me it's two things that are helping. One is knowledge. I've always seen squirrels fatten up before the cold months and live off of their fat stores during the winter. I knew that bears, penguins, and other animals did similar things. I didn't know that humans had the same ability. Basically all animals do.

We have two “fuel tanks.” The food we take in is one. Fat reserves are the other. We're designed to use both, just like bears or emperor penguins. As long as you have enough fat (and overweight people do), using it won't hurt you. You can drink water and live for weeks (or months, if you're fat enough) off of fat without hurting yourself.

Once I got past the fear and confusion over that, the only other issue was willpower.

Comment

You can drink water and live for weeks (or months, if you're fat enough) off of fat without hurting yourself.
                            Still, before I make this post, just saying this is not an attack on you

dieting or too much dieting can hurt people
                            our family personally knows two people who ended up with heart issues due to constant dieting (the one person had to quit work she got so ill)

I tried a diet once that was too low in calories (for me) and experienced hypoglycemia with shaking, irritability, and feeling like I was about to faint
                            we were not at home, at some big event and husband had to quickly go find me some food

our dog has to eat like clockwork, if she doesn't she basically goes into a rage, she needs to lose some weight (about 7 lbs) but we cannot cut back on her food at all (gets only 1/3 cup 3X/day) she is getting older and exercise will not help either because she just plain stops walking and won't budge, will plop down even in middle of street, seems impossible to get her to lose weight ......

it is not so easy

Comment

• Amy, we’re cool. You can say what you feel. I’m not going to be offended or mad. I know you’re not attacking me.

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                              it is not so easy
                              Agreed. I never said it’s easy. I said it’s simple. I will say that once you start train your mind it becomes much easier.

I don’t know about the techniques the people you’re referring to used or the extremes to which they took them. Some diets are definitely harmful though – whether you’re trying to lose weight or not. I’m not talking about general dieting. I’m talking eating less food or stopping altogether. People have been doing it for eons – out of both necessity and choice. We’re made for it. It’s not only safe, it can improve your health. In fact, if your diet is keeping you fat, restricting it is the only natural, healthy way to lose weight. Again, it’s just logic. Exercise alone is not going to work. There are fat, world class athletes.

My guess on your diet is that you probably never made it past day three and experienced acidosis. It takes 2-3 days to get past it. Anyone who’s ever done a very restricted diet or fast is going to experience some of the same things. Weakness, headache, fatigue, irritability – it all happens in the first few days. It’s your body shifting over to using fat stores. That’s why it takes willpower.

Once those symptoms pass, they’re replaced with mental clarity and alertness, calmness, increased energy, anti-inflammatory effects (which has a tendency to reduce pain one experiences from many ailments), and a list of other benefits too long to name.

Comment

• My understanding is that carbohydrates are much easier for your body to absorb than are fats and that is easier for your body to convert excess carbohydrates to fat than it is for it to absorb fats.
                                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X