Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A C 4

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
    My guess on your diet is that you probably never made it past day three
    you're right, I was following the diet to a tee but stopped after that incident when we were out
    felt so horrible and told husband I need food quick, he's like what do you want, and I was just get me anything quick

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
      told husband I need food quick, he's like what do you want, and I was just get me anything quick
      That's where knowledge comes into play. If it feels like you're dying or something bad is happening, you panic and do what it takes to stop the bad feeling. If you know you won't hurt yourself, it will pass, and you'll benefit after a little suffering, you can push through with more ease.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
        My understanding is that carbohydrates are much easier for your body to absorb than are fats and that is easier for your body to convert excess carbohydrates to fat than it is for it to absorb fats.
        I have serious doubts about that. I'm not sure of all of the mechanics, but I think a high carbohydrate, low fat diet is superior. The staple foods that societies throughout history have been built on are high carbohydrates - grains, root vegetables, seeds, legumes. The obesity epidemic correlates to fattier foods taking precedence.

What I think happens has to do with the ways that the fattier foods interact with carbs. I'm not 100% clear on all of it, though. I'm just starting to experiment on myself now that I have more control to see what does and does not work.

Comment

• AC4
          just weighed myself and lost 6#
          the five I'd gained from eating out on a couple dates plus one more

think I'd been keeping water wt when it was so hot and now that it's cooled......yeah
          only 10 more til Thanksgiving (I lowered my goal)

Comment

I have serious doubts about that. I'm not sure of all of the mechanics, but I think a high carbohydrate, low fat diet is superior. The staple foods that societies throughout history have been built on are high carbohydrates - grains, root vegetables, seeds, legumes. The obesity epidemic correlates to fattier foods taking precedence.

What I think happens has to do with the ways that the fattier foods interact with carbs. I'm not 100% clear on all of it, though. I'm just starting to experiment on myself now that I have more control to see what does and does not work.
            Being diabetic, a high carbohydrate diet of any sort is simply out of the question. In fact, high carbohydrates along with genetics are the most likely causes for being diabetic in my case. AFAIK, fats and proteins slow the absorption of carbohydrates and can produce a limited regulatory effect. Humans have never had continuous carbohydrate based diets until the last few millennia. The obesity epidemic correlates with an overabundance of carbohydrates as I can see here in Southeast Asia where fats and proteins are much less in the average diets. The overabundance of carbohydrates has produced advanced societies but it also contains the seeds of destruction.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• we cut out meat years ago in an effort to lower husband's cholesterol to avoid him going on meds
              and we were able to lower his cholesterol to normal
              but I would often eat cheese when I didn't like what was serving him and I ended up with a cheese addiction

didn't buy my cheese the last two weeks which probably helped me lose the 6#

Comment

• now with our child losing teeth, growing new teeth, growing bones
                I have changed our diets gradually to add in more protein, calcium and recently have actually added beef back in
                (need to have husband get cholesterol checked now to make sure hasn't gone up)

I made beef stir fry this week with lots of onions, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, an orange pepper
                and tacos tonight using high quality beef (lower fat and no hormones)

Comment

The obesity epidemic correlates with an overabundance of carbohydrates as I can see here in Southeast Asia where fats and proteins are much less in the average diets.
                  Please clarify. Are you saying that fattier diets correlate to less fat people? That doesn't make sense. Have you seen studies on that?

All of the studies I've seen show diets that are more plant based correlating to lower weight and lower incidence of diabetes.

Originally posted by jns View Post
                  seeds of destruction
                  clever

Comment

• search "did the low-fat era make us fat" and read the pbs/frontline article
                    a lot of the explanation on how people got fat by following the low fat diets

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                      search "did the low-fat era make us fat" and read the pbs/frontline article
                      a lot of the explanation on how people got fat by following the low fat diets
                      Indeed. Instead of plants, we went to processed foods and refined sugar. That's not a healthy diet. Whole, plant-based diets are healthy, tend to keep people slim, and lower incidence of a lot of diseases, including diabetes.

Comment

Please clarify. Are you saying that fattier diets correlate to less fat people? That doesn't make sense. Have you seen studies on that?

All of the studies I've seen show diets that are more plant based correlating to lower weight and lower incidence of diabetes.

clever
                        Amy's search resulted in a study that showed that both high fat and high carbohydrate diets can create similar results.
                        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Amy's search resulted in a study that showed that both high fat and high carbohydrate diets can create similar results.
                          I doubt that, not if it's plant-based. There's simply nothing better to eat than plants. But, name the study. I'd be interested in looking it over.

Comment

• The processes by which fat is removed from these "fat free" items is not healthy. It is more toxic and causes those foods to be broken down differently in our bodies.

I think there's plenty of science to back up any argument, that's part of our problem. What works for me is whole natural foods. Mostly plants. Little animal products. My primary objective is health benefits tho, not weight loss. Carbs are not bad. They are very good and they are important, it's the sources of carbs that makes the difference.

In my studies, I've found that we actually need much less protein than we have grown up believing. Protein from Animal foods is even less a requirement. I'm eating meats maybe once or twice a week and that seems to work for me. I had done once every week or two, but I have found this schedule doesn't leave me wanting or feeling like I need more of something. Still very little dairy. Less than meat. When I cut out meat completely, I felt weak and tired often. I think I need the small portions of meat now and then.

Still, I think in general, you're correct that we don't need as much food and/or calories. I don't agree with your fasting however. I think I've shared my opinion before. I generally feel much better when I eat less, and if I eat a monstrous bowl of spinach salad with other veggies, I feel satisfied, not stuffed. We are not bears. Bears and hibernating mammals undergo a metabolic slowdown during their winter months. They are not out working and raising their families, they're sleeping. Lol
                            Now if I could sleep away the winter and not eat, I'd be just fine. It's cold and nasty here and I'd be happy to never leave my warm house.

Your juicing gives you a shot of nutrition, and is not depriving you. I just don't think for extended periods of time it's healthy.

Jns I will try to find the article I read on diabetes "cures" thru dietary changes. Interesting read.

Comment

• Bears don't hibernate.

Anyway, I just gave them as an example. The ability to fast is ubiquitous in the animal kingdom. The studies have shown that it's not only beneficial, but that it tends to improve health and increase longevity. It grants other benefits that I don't even want to mention because they'd sound far-fetched to ears that have never experienced to power of it. It counterintuitive to Americans culturally because of concepts like "three square meals."

Anyway, I'm not here to promote fasting, juicing, or any dietary lifestyle. I don't even do that with my own wife and family. I’m definitely not doing it with you all. The only thing I advocate unapologetically is Jesus. I don't know it all with the dieting and don't pretend to. If what you're doing with your food grants you health and success, then I'm happy for you and wanna get some tips. If you're sick or struggling with your weight, but eating what your body tells you when it tells you, then...well, I'm not so happy for you, but that's your business.

What's happened to me is that I've gained a control of my body like I've never had in my life. It’s come with a commensurate level of mental and physical health. I'm not a slave to my belly. It serves me, and is doing so better than ever before. I don't suffer from prolonged sickness and almost constant fatigue as I often have over the past decade. I'm asymptomatic with a digestive illness I've had all my adult life. I get fewer upper-respiratory infections, and when I do get them, I beat them in 2-3 days instead of 2-3 weeks. On top of being slimmer, my mind is sharper, calmer, and more active.

I'm also meeting my exercise goals. I came off of the longest fast I've ever done and immediately did 7 days of intense cardio and 6 of resistance training (I also did a day of resistance the last day of my fast, so it was eight days nonstop). That's unprecedented for me. In fairness, I was on vacation for the 7 days, but even then I've never pulled that off successfully. My stretch goal -the one I'd set before my self as the ideal that I may not reach, but it would still be nice if I got close - was 5-6 days of cardio and 4 resistance. I went beyond with a fair amount of ease. The only remaining goal is to continue.

Whatever good you all are doing, diet or exercise-wise, keep it up! And keep pushing.

Comment

• do not have the goal of getting back to being stick skinny like when first married although do want to lose 10 lbs before Thanksgiving
                                because noticed a friend and also a neighbor who both lost weight to get back to what they were in their 20s have aged their faces so much and added wrinkles

I would much rather have a younger looking face with some extra weight on me than be back to being super skinny with an older looking face
                                husband and I are often "close talkers" so I don't want a wrinkled face before I'm a grandma

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X