Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A C 4

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• if a person never gains weight throughout their life, they have maintained a level of activity as when younger or they decrease the amt they eat as they age to keep up with a decreasing level activity as they age

we have a couple elderly neighbors, both women are very slim
    they are both very active, they both work in their yards and the other exercises almost daily at the Y plus goes on really long walks
    when I could no longer use my steps to do the Denise Austin workouts, my one neighbor asked for it
    I doubt either of them have had to ever diet as they seem to be always moving

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
      and it's true, do you think the people who moved west on the wagon trains and horses had to diet?
      Yes, but not by choice. Their diet was rationed and limited because of their lifestyle.

For all of human history up to and including this very day, humans have been forced to restrict their diets and fast from time to time. I recently heard how oranges were given as Christmas presents in the US last century. It's only now and in certain parts of the world that we've broken free from that because of advances in wealth, technology, and infrastructure. The variety and richness of our diets would put ancient kings to shame.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
        The variety and richness of our diets would put ancient kings to shame.
        agree
        many of our grocery stores have recently made updates
        at one store, all the fruits and veggies are up front now when entering the store/ improved lighting too
        walking in after the changes, the colors struck me and I just stood there looking at all those foods on display; it was beautiful and I said "wow"

apparently, this is actually a strategy, I read somewhere
        if people go through and buy fruits and veggies, they feel good about their healthy choices
        then the next dept is the bakery, so people will feel more free to indulge with the frts/veggies in their basket

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
          this is actually a strategy
          We're being influenced and manipulated on too many levels to wrap your mind around.

Also, you do have self-control. It's just like muscles. You train what you have to increase strength. I've made mistakes, miscalculations, gotten off track, struggled and failed over and over and over again for 5-1/2 years. I didn't just have an idea pop in my head and execute it out of the blue.

Today, I broke an 11 day fast and am over 50 pounds lighter than at my last annual physical. What should be interesting is my other numbers in 2018. My blood sugar levels were uncomfortably high along with my weight. That's part of what spurred my latest push. I don't take medication or have chronic diseases and I'll do everything in my power to keep it that way as long as God allows me.

Comment

Also, you do have self-control. over 50 pounds lighter
            fantastic!
            our kid has self-control as I was very careful the first couple of years home, to only give healthy foods and lots of fruit/veggies
            we were somewhere when our child was 3 and people were amazed our child was eating radishes and carrots from the buffet
            while the other kids were eating junk food

so if our child comes shopping with me and I go to pick up anything tasty, I mean unhealthy
            our child says "we don't need that"

Comment

• was so strict when our kid was little, that I did not allow lollipops and everywhere we went, people tried to give our child lollipops, even at the pumpkin patch, the hayride person handed our child a lollipop, and I had to take it out of our child's hand and give it back

but good thing about that, school teachers give lollipops and candy canes as rewards and our child comes home and tells me and turns them down by saying "no thanks"
              (not many kids do that, turn down the school treat rewards)

Comment

Also, you do have self-control. It's just like muscles. You train what you have to increase strength.
                so how do you get this self-control, especially if you are a stress eater and addicted to one food?

been doing good with not buying my favorite cheese the last couple weeks and then husband went to store to get us some supplies and he came home with two pkgs of my favorite cheese (thought had told him I wasn't buying it lately, but maybe not)

it was just a couple hrs of me knowing they were in fridge before I opened one

Comment

• amy40 That's like asking how you get muscles. You're made in God's image, so you already have it. It just needs to be exercised.

Delay gratification. Start small. Deny yourself the cheese for a day. Then do two. Then three.

Focus on the long term benefits of holding out and the negative consequences of giving in, instead of the short-lived pleasure you'd get if you obey your belly. Keep track of progress if you need to to encourage yourself. Mark the days off on a calendar.

Comment

• Amy what motivated me was when I tried changing my diet and saw a difference. THAT will set the self control buzzers off and inspire you to make better choices.
                    When your life is altered in an unacceptable way, you'll do anything, sacrifice anything to get your life back. When someone wants something bad enough, they'll work for it.
                    No amount of cheesecake or chocolate pie is worth feeling that bad. That's about all it takes for me these days. No pizza is good enough to make it worth having a painful flare up and feeling like crap for a few days.

Still, I think earlier in the thread you mentioned "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". I watched it a few nights ago. The truck driver really had me upset and inspired nearly to tears.

And going back to that earlier topic...i learned in biochemistry, humans need to eat constantly. There was a whole biochemical pathway we learned about human metabolism. Other species (snakes come to mind) are well meant to go long periods without food. Humans are not yet adapted to function optimally without nourishment "constantly".

I don't disagree with fasts. I don't necessarily think they are harmful when done under your physician's watch and you ARE taking in nutrients with your juice.
                    So your body isn't fully deprived.

I will also say that I think it's as much about what we are not eating, as what we are eating. Adding in a green nutrition packed salad would do a lot to help cancel out the fried chicken. For example. Add some legumes, some whole raw veggies and fruits and get the nutritional necessities in us...then if you must have the burger, have the burger.

I do think it is much more than the food tho. I think it goes without saying that our low activity lifestyle has a lot to do with it. Add to that the chemicals and toxins in our air, water, food, etc.

Our bodies are meant to move. We are not designed to be still.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                      Add to that the chemicals and toxins in our air, water, food, etc.
                      I think the environment does affect me which has been part of my argument for wanting to move away
                      we live in a more air polluted county and a lot of days when I have chest pain, I am not so sure it's part of my condition, it could be the air quality

Comment

• we've been eating salads all week but why did husband buy me that cheese!

Comment

• Maybe he thinks you need a small break.
                          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Amy do you have asthma?

Comment

• have never been diagnosed with it
                              but have noticed if I have a lot of chest pain from my condition, I have said to husband, it feels like I can't breathe but that is just every once in a while where the chest pain is real bad (but it's all my ribs and everything that hurts, when my chest area hurts)

Comment

• I would think if I had it, I would know or been diagnosed at one time or another?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X