Weight Loss Surgery

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight Loss Surgery

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Weight Loss Surgery

Hello everyone,

I am new here.
    Let me know if anyone have the knowledge about pros and cons of weight loss surgery.

• Hi ameliahelen,

I am registered dietitian, so I am quite familiar weight loss surgeries and some of the common pros/cons. There are a few things that you will want to consider about weight loss surgery as it is not always for everyone.

1. There are a many different types of weight loss surgery and each can affect your body in different ways (not necessarily referring to weight loss either). The most common one done now day is the gastric sleeve, in which part of the stomach is removed in order to make it smaller - however, the stomach does eventually become slightly larger (which is natural, but never returns to its original size). The other common one is the lap band, in which an adjustable band is placed around the top of the stomach and is tightened to reduce the amount of food the stomach can hold - this one is reversible, but the band can occasionally loosen on its own. Both of these work by helping you to feel full quicker, so you ideally eat less. There are older methods that also involve the small intestines (such as the Roux en Y) which are effective in helping people to lose weight, but often cause malabsorption which may do your body more harm than good because you may not be getting necessary nutrients (I personally am not favorable to these as I have seen many long-term complications with individuals who get these types of surgeries). Just make sure to do your research on each of the types of surgeries/procedures to understand how they directly affect your body.

2. Weight loss surgery is not an easy way out. Just like any other method for losing weight, this too requires commitment. Most insurance companies require that you do pre-surgery counseling with a registered dietitian (one who specializes in bariatrics) to help prepare you for the lifestyle changes that come after bariatric surgery. Often times, this is done to make sure that you are ready to make the commitment to dietary and other lifestyle changes after surgery, which helps you to be successful in weight loss. It may also require that you lose weight prior to surgery to show your commitment. After surgery, there is a special post-op diet you will need to follow for weeks and slowly work back to eating "regular" food. I say slowly because advancing back to a regular diet too quickly can put strain on the stomach which may end up in nausea/vomiting, pain, or even popping stitches and causing a literal "leaky gut" (though this is an extreme case that doesn't usually happen). Follow-up counseling sessions with a dietitian will help guide you through this process.

3. If you choose to get it done, make sure to find a professional who is skilled in bariatric surgeries! I say this mainly to discourage going out of the country in hopes of saving money or bypassing insurance companies. I have had patients who did these and ended up with serious complications. Yes, they lost weight, but it was primarily because they couldn't eat anything at all and had life-threatening complications. Trust me, your life is worth much more!

As a dietitian, I am not the most favorable when it comes to weight loss surgeries, but I know that they do work some individuals (and can even be the best choice for their personal health). I would encourage to try a less drastic approach first, with making dietary changes and increasing physical activity. Even small changes can amount to big gains in health! But, if you are interested in weight loss surgery, I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about it and see what your options are and what may work best for you. But please take the information above into consideration. By all means, don't let me discourage you from trying to make positive lifestyle changes; I just believe that knowledge is power. Being informed helps you to choose what is best for you. Weight loss surgeries do work very well for some, but are not for everyone. Find what works for you.

Hope this is helpful!

Comment

• From my knowledge weight loss surgery is not that much disadvantageous for the patient. Because it gives a fit look to the human body. If we see generally it gives dramatic weight loss quickly and many continue to lose weight for 18-24 months after the surgery. Last year my uncle did a bariatric surgery in “Metabolic surgery Istanbul”, Turkey, till now he has not faced any kind of infection or problem. Yes there also some disadvantages of weight loss surgery.

To achieve a successful outcome, gastric bypass also requires a permanent lifelong change in your diet and lifestyle. Because gastric bypass affects how your digestive system absorbs calories and malnourishment can occur after the surgery. Gastric bypass patients may also be more susceptible to gallstones as a result of rapid weight loss.

Comment

• Per Mayo Clinic risks associated with gastric bypass surgery can include:
        Excessive bleeding
        Infection
        Adverse reactions to anesthesia
        Blood clots
        Lung or breathing problems
        Leaks in your gastrointestinal system
        Bowel obstruction
        Dumping syndrome, causing diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
        Gallstones
        Hernias
        Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
        Malnutrition
        Stomach perforation
        Ulcers
        Vomiting
        Death (rare)
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• There are 7 types of weight loss surgery (also called “bariatric surgery”) available, including:

1. Gastric Sleeve – feel less hungry & full sooner while eating

2. Gastric Bypass – feel full sooner while eating & absorb fewer minerals

3. Duodenal Switch – feel less hungry & full sooner while eating, absorb fewer calories and minerals

4. LAP-BAND® – feel full sooner while eating

5. Gastric Balloon – temporarily feel full sooner while eating (balloon removed after 6 months)

6. vBloc Therapy – feel full between meals & less hungry while eating

7. AspireAssist – drain a portion of stomach contents after eating

There is no “one size fits all” procedure, so this page will help you determine which ones best fit your goals.

Comment

• Hiii NisaReis ,
            Thanks for sharing your views with me.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X