• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jns View Post

a1c is a measure of your average glucose level over the last three months. It sounds fine to me, especially with extra weight and a diet higher in carbohydrates.
    Thanks, jns. I didn't even know it was possible to measure such a thing from a test done at one point in time. I understand now. I just looked it up and it's based on the average lifespan of a blood cell.

I just found an a1c to average glucose convertor online and it puts 5.1% at 100 mg/dl. That would be an improvement, but not as much as I wanted. I expected something lower. I'd really like to see the actual number, though. In the meantime I'm going to try not to overthink it and worry until I speak with my doctor next year.

Also, I don't think a high carb diet necessarily correlates to high blood sugar. I've eaten mostly vegan for the time span the a1c would measure. Vegans eat more carbs than anybody and also have the lowest risk for diabetes. That's partly why I was hoping for an improvement.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

As you grow older, your body doesn't produce and regulate insulin like it did when you were younger. That and weight gain caused insulin resistance are the main reasons for the increase in type 2 diabetes in the industrialized world. Note that a1c is measured with venous blood, not capillary blood. Vegans low risk for diabetes is probably best explained by lower body weights.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Has your doctor been unhappy with the BG results of 100?

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          Has your doctor been unhappy with the BG results of 100?
          She doesn't know. It was a paramedical exam for insurance that had nothing to do with her. I just got the results yesterday. She'll be happy because absolutely everything improved. I'm happy to be going in the right direction, but not entirely satisfied.

jns yes, it's weight and diet. Vegan diets don't have the saturated animal fats. I just looked, and apparently some of my other numbers are also rick factors - high triglycerides and low cholesterol. I've had issues with those for a very long time. My triglycerides were normal this time, probably because of the weight loss. But my cholesterol is right around the lower limit of normal.

I'm going to have to make more of an effort to exercise regularly. I just came out of the hospital with my stepfather and what he goes through terrifies my family. I don't want to deal with that kind of stuff, at least not in my 60's if I can help it. He doesn't care enough, in my opinion. I don't understand. At this point everything he has is controllable through non-medical intervention. Can steak and pop be good enough to suffer and die for? I'd rather eat beans and water and live.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
            I just looked it up and it's based on the average lifespan of a blood cell.
            Note that the average lifespan of a red blood cell is not exactly the same for all people. The a1c number will be higher for someone with longer lived red blood cells, all else being equal.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Also, I don't think a high carb diet necessarily correlates to high blood sugar.
              If you are not diabetic or borderline, your body is producing enough insulin and using it correctly, so a high carb diet would not correlate to high blood glucose. If you are diabetic or borderline, a high carb diet does correlate to high blood sugar unless controlled.

Comment

If you are diabetic or borderline, a high carb diet does correlate to high blood sugar unless controlled.
                What are you basing this on? As far as I've ever seen the healthiest diets tend to be plant-heavy. That means that the foundation is carbohydrates. It doesn't matter whether you have diabetes or not.

Of course eating tons of french fries, sweet pies, and ice cream would be bad for you, but not plants in general. Just because you shouldn't be devouring big bags of cheetos doesn't mean that whole grains, legumes, and fruits are bad for you. All carbs are not created equally.

Comment

What are you basing this on? As far as I've ever seen the healthiest diets tend to be plant-heavy. That means that the foundation is carbohydrates. It doesn't matter whether you have diabetes or not.
                  All of the training I had when I was diagnosed as diabetic and everything I have read since from reputable sources. Diabetics can be on plant heavy diets, but should be moderate on carbs at most. Heavy exercise should be fueled by proteins and fats with a slight increase in carbs to match the diabetic's ability to produce more insulin. Unless you search for diabetic diets, you are not looking at them.
                  Last edited by jns; 12-06-2017, 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

All of the training I had when I was diagnosed as diabetic and everything I have read since from reputable sources. Diabetics can be on plant heavy diets, but should be moderate on carbs at most. Heavy exersize should be fueled by protiens and fats with a slight increase in carbs to match the diabetic's ability to produce more insulin. Unless you search for diabetic diets, you are not looking at them.
                    I'm trying to understand what you're saying, because I'm learning and I'm not just interested for myself, but for my stepfather, who does have diabetes.

Here is a quote from webmd under their article 10 Diabetes Diet Myths:

3. Carbohydrates Are Bad for Diabetes.

MYTH. Carbs are the foundation of a healthy diet whether you have diabetes or not.

They do affect your blood sugar levels, which is why youíll need to keep up with how many you eat each day. Some carbs have vitamins, minerals, and fiber. So choose those ones, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Starchy, sugary carbs are not a great choice because they have less to offer. Theyíre more like a flash in the pan than fuel your body can rely on.

4. Protein Is Better Than Carbohydrates for Diabetes.

MYTH. Because carbs affect blood sugar levels so quickly, you may be tempted to eat less of them and substitute more protein. But take care to choose your protein carefully. If it comes with too much saturated fat, thatís risky for your heartís health. Keep an eye on your portion size too. Talk to your dietitian or doctor about how much protein is right for you.
                    Would you disagree or agree? My wife and I want to give my stepfather a vegetarian cookbook to encourage some better choices than we see him making.

Comment

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, because I'm learning and I'm not just interested for myself, but for my stepfather, who does have diabetes.

Here is a quote from webmd under their article 10 Diabetes Diet Myths:

3. Carbohydrates Are Bad for Diabetes.

MYTH. Carbs are the foundation of a healthy diet whether you have diabetes or not.

They do affect your blood sugar levels, which is why youíll need to keep up with how many you eat each day. Some carbs have vitamins, minerals, and fiber. So choose those ones, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Starchy, sugary carbs are not a great choice because they have less to offer. Theyíre more like a flash in the pan than fuel your body can rely on.

4. Protein Is Better Than Carbohydrates for Diabetes.

MYTH. Because carbs affect blood sugar levels so quickly, you may be tempted to eat less of them and substitute more protein. But take care to choose your protein carefully. If it comes with too much saturated fat, thatís risky for your heartís health. Keep an eye on your portion size too. Talk to your dietitian or doctor about how much protein is right for you.

Would you disagree or agree? My wife and I want to give my stepfather a vegetarian cookbook to encourage some better choices than we see him making.
                      I will agree but it will be qualified since what I said an what you quoted do not exactly line up. Fiber is carbs that your body cannot digest. It is good. Glycemic index has to be considered and can be modified depending on what you also eat that slows the digestive process. Protein choice is always a key. Fat choice is also a key.

Comment

Find something that works and stick with it, whatever it is .
                        I am usually lucky to lose 1/2 lb per week when trying to lose wt. and don't want to spend 10 mos trying to lose 20#

so going to try part of your method
                        much fewer calories as food (no juicing)

ate leaf lettuce with onions/no dressing for lunch
                        and zucchini, yellow squash, onions for dinner

probably a couple kiwi or apple if I get hungry later

and I am totally off my favorite cheese now!

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                          so going to try part of your method
                          much fewer calories as food (no juicing)
                          Cool!

Incidentally, I do munch on my fasts, typically every few days when I'm making a smoothie or juice or after I shop. I just made a smoothies and I ate a few of my ingredients. Part of it is that I have to know how what I'm using tastes. Some mornings I make tea with fruit and eat the fruit afterward.

This fast was a first for me because I actually had small, simple meals with my wife a few nights. I didn't plan on doing that, but I got so sick with the flu that I didn't care. All she used was water and vegetables- no salt, oils, or anything processed, so still very low calorie. I've tried to eat in the past and it shock my resolve and I came off. This time I stayed on.

Comment

Working...
                          X