Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC 5

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• stillness
    lasted one or two days on fewer calories
    lost a couple lbs and turned around and gained them back

think will never lose these 20 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

I did not eat less. I ate a different mix of foods. The diet there is higher in carbohydrates (rice and fruits) but significantly lower in proteins and fats. The biggest difference is a big drop in processed foods. There was deep fried chicken but it wasn't like KFC. Plenty of bananas of a variety of types. Americans usually only have one type of banana available or several other types that are prohibitively expensive. This three month stay created the anticipated results in weight loss. I definitely fit in my seat easier on the flights back.
      I should add that I do walk more in Cambodia than I do in the USA. This is partially due to the fact that I drive everywhere in the USA due to longer distances and the fact that I live in the foothills. Over there, it is a short distance to get food, so I walk. I do not have access to a car yet, so I walk. I could take a motorcycle, but I prefer to walk. For longer distances I hire a tuk-tuk - a motorcycle pulling a two wheel carriage. One nice thing about walking, you can see what type of businesses there are. You can also gt to know your neighbors a bit.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I should add that I do walk more in Cambodia than I do in the USA. Over there, it is a short distance to get food, so I walk. I do not have access to a car yet, so I walk. .
        jns, I thought maybe you were on vacation but are you working there instead?
        you might not think the walking added to your weight loss but I bet it did because you normally don't walk as much

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post

jns, I thought maybe you were on vacation but are you working there instead?
          you might not think the walking added to your weight loss but I bet it did because you normally don't walk as much
          I was not working there. I was living there. My hope is to more permanently relocate there. I had to make sure that I had control of all of my bills and finances,

I was walking more and that helped, but diet was biggest factor. I didn't strictly look at the scale before I left, so the weight loss may have been only 25 pounds. In whichever case, my caloric intake was reduced by around 1000 calories a day or more using a NIH calculator.

Several factors in retiring were that the stress of work and the limitations on altering my lifestyle in a way I could maintain would continue to make me more unhealthy.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

My hope is to more permanently relocate there. .
            why Cambodia and not Thailand?

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
              why Cambodia and not Thailand?

Thailand has became too modern in many ways.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              Working...
              X