Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC6

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by jns View Post
    Does juicing reduce body weight partially due to less mass in the intestines?
    Yes. Water weight tends to be lost as well. I don't count those losses as real weight because it comes right back once you stop.

A lot diets play games with those things to get quick results. People will lose 10-15 pounds in a few days and feel a sense of achievement, but they haven't really done anything. And in my experience playing with water weight can be dangerous. It's the thing I'm always most worried about balancing when I'm fasting.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I'm working a really odd schedule... still trying to figure out a routine to get everything done in a day...

I've experienced a lot of pain recently and some of the other symptoms are creeping in, so I'm being very diligent with diet. I'm working hard to get the exercise I need, but it's a struggle with my new schedule.

Comment

• Supersets & Intermittent Fasting

Howsit going?

Have you all ever heard of supersets? I've been playing around with them for months now without even knowing they were a thing. I started reducing my rest periods more and more until I was cutting some of them down to zero and going into my next set of a different exercise. My main goal was to get my resistance training done before I had a chance to think about it too much and renege. If I know that all I need is 10 minutes it's harder to make excuses.

Now I find out what I've been doing is a thing that the pros use for more rapid bulking. Who knew? It's probably why I got weird results during my last fast. Which brings me to the second reason...

Has anyone ever played around with intermittent fasting? I've been doing a modified version of it for a very long time, but since I keep hearing so much about it, I started doing it more rigorously. Apparently there's some science showing that if you go at least 12 hours without eating it does amazing things for your body - the hormones that stimulate muscle growth and fat burning in particular. It might sound way harder than it is, but sleeping counts. There's a lot of interesting claims about it.

Comment

Per my scale, I am down about 30 pounds from my 3 months in Cambodia. I didn't get sick this time, just a cough for a while from using a fan too much. No true limitation on eating. My diet did not contain western food. As is normal, I had two meals a day with limited snacking on mostly fruits (some sweet jicama, too) in between.
          Per checking my weight on a scale at a clinic today, I am now in the mid 250's. Six months ago I was going slightly over 300. I will get a more accurate reading when I go back to the USA in a bit more than a week. Per what I have observed in the past, I will continue to lose weight or maintain weight for at least several weeks after going back.

I was at the clinic due to persistent but not heavy diarrhea for three weeks. It hasn't been a problem for nutrition or fluids but enough is enough and I didn't want complications on the plane. I am on metronidazole (Flagyl) and Zentel (albendazole) for the next three days. The nasty critters in my gut will be gone. To give an idea of cost: the doctor's visit and the medications came out to $25 USD. The Zentel would cost about $600 in the USA for three doses per Wikipedia. The Flagyl would cost about $7.50. Smecta for three days was also included.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
            Has anyone ever played around with intermittent fasting? Apparently there's some science showing that if you go at least 12 hours without eating.
            yes, I did much better when I was up nights and slept days
            when I met husband, we were working nights.....I prefer that schedule

so breakfast is usually at everyone's dinner time and eat less at night

Comment

Per checking my weight on a scale at a clinic today, I am now in the mid 250's.
              Why do I feel so proud of you, but not of myself? This is inspiring, brother!

Get well soon

Comment

Why do I feel so proud of you, but not of myself? This is inspiring, brother!

Get well soon
                Thank you for the get well message.

You should be proud of what you accomplished. The key is to keep going until you hit your goal and beyond.

I hope to lose at least another 35 pounds. Maybe I can strip away most of the weight I gained while employed over 30 years at my last job. I definitely blame a lot of the weight gain on the stresses of the job. I'm lucky that the retirement allows me to travel and lose the weight in a relatively painless way overseas.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I'm lucky that the retirement allows me to travel and lose the weight in a relatively painless way overseas.
                  I'm jealous. I look forward to retirement

Comment

• Jns, I think it's notable that the weight loss is "easier" in Asia where you're spending time. Lifestyle and diet, makes a big difference.
                    Do you notice that you actually feel much better? Or is it noticeable for you?

Still, I did that type of training back in the mid 90's when I was strength building, for a short time. I don't remember if it worked any better or not. That was a very drunken time in my life, lol, and most is a blur!

I have begun to add a little more weight now and expanding to more areas of my body, and less focused on cardio. I was active in my last job, in this one I sit a lot. The stiffness and tightening of my muscles is part of the pain I think I've been suffering with. I've put a reminder up to stretch and pace my office periodically.
                    I think it's making a difference. I move as much as I can make an excuse to...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                      Jns, I think it's notable that the weight loss is "easier" in Asia where you're spending time. Lifestyle and diet, makes a big difference.
                      Do you notice that you actually feel much better? Or is it noticeable for you?
                      I feel a lot better. I move easier. I sweat less. I am more comfortable with the heat and humidity. My clothes are loose. Understand that a person could come here, stay in a high priced hotel and eat only western food. I don't think such a person would experience much weight loss. I go partially native in that my food is mostly local cuisine. I don't exercise per se but I do walk a fair amount and I go swimming on the weekend.

Comment

• Glad to hear it! I think that's the only way to visit/live in a new culture. Even visiting different parts of the US, I always ask what the locals do, where they go...that's how I enjoy taking in the area.

I'm always surprised by people that Tell me that they don't feel much better after a significant weight loss or change to healthier lifestyle. I'm skeptical, I admit, but I believe them.

I'm feeling stronger all the time. I am so glad I've shifted focus to rebuilding muscle. I knew the weakness was bad, lol, but I didn't realize just how easily I could rebuild it. It's not been "easy", but it's not been as difficult as I anticipated. I was so ashamed, sort of, to be struggling to do 3 sets with 5 pound weights. Just curls, I mean. I was nearly in tears when I realized how bad that really was. All these weeks later, I'm struggling to do 3 curl sets with 7.5 pounds but it's progress. I used to be so strong... I lifted and carried 50-70 pounds pretty easily just a few years ago. So, it's been a mental battle.
                        I've not shared that before, but I'm feeling proud. My leg strength has progressed much better. I'm up to 40# for my legs...progress from a starting point of about 15.

So, it's been a year I think, since I joined the gym and really dedicated myself to rebuilding the physical body. There's been setbacks in that year, so I am happy and quite proud to be here. I'm weak, but I'm stronger than I was!

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                          I'm feeling stronger all the time... I lifted and carried 50-70 pounds pretty easily just a few years ago. !
                          that's great you are getting stronger!
                          wow...you carried 50-70 lbs easily?!!

Comment

• I had to do so occasionally at work. Yep...
                            Sometimes I would also carry my dog, and she was about 70 pounds. The 50 pounds was pretty easy, the 70 pounds wasn't quite so easy but I did it as needed with no issues.

When the bottom fell out for me, I couldn't carry 15 pounds more than a few feet, and that felt like a ton. My arms would just give out, no matter how hard I tried to hold the weight. It was a gradual thing with the weight, that I noticed long before, but attributed it to aging and just not working out...until I got so sick and realized it was all part of whatever is wrong.

I don't think I'll get back to lifting as heavy...and I'm alright with that. Just want to be strong as possible.

Comment

• Keep up the progress, Kitty!

For me it’s a mixed bag. I had really hoped that the time restricted eating would be more helpful for my weight loss. It’s not. I’ve lost nothing. Huge disappointment.

First it was 12 hours, then 8, now 4-6 hours. The result is the same. I loose fat, but gain muscle at the same rate. If I was lighter, that would be cool, but I’m still too heavy. Even if I was solid muscle, I don’t want to be this heavy. I want to be slim.

Now I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to fast anymore, but that’s the only thing my body seems to respond to. Years ago I went to a trainer on a cruise ship that ran tests on me and told me he loves my body type because of how I’d put on muscle. Now I see what he meant. I wish I knew how to eat a sustainable diet and lose weight.

I’m thinking of going down to 2-3 hours or less, which would basically mean eating one meal a day. I'm not hopeful about that, though.

Comment

Keep up the progress, Kitty!

For me it’s a mixed bag. I had really hoped that the time restricted eating would be more helpful for my weight loss. It’s not. I’ve lost nothing. Huge disappointment.

First it was 12 hours, then 8, now 4-6 hours. The result is the same. I loose fat, but gain muscle at the same rate. If I was lighter, that would be cool, but I’m still too heavy. Even if I was solid muscle, I don’t want to be this heavy. I want to be slim.

Now I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to fast anymore, but that’s the only thing my body seems to respond to. Years ago I went to a trainer on a cruise ship that ran tests on me and told me he loves my body type because of how I’d put on muscle. Now I see what he meant. I wish I knew how to eat a sustainable diet and lose weight.

I’m thinking of going down to 2-3 hours or less, which would basically mean eating one meal a day. I'm not hopeful about that, though.
                                Eating one meal a day is do-able. Some Buddhist monks do that for years on end. I'm not sure it is a great benefit to weight loss, though, by itself. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same rate is not bad. Muscle consumes more calories even in a resting state. Since it is heavier by volume, it should make you look thinner. Additionally, it should also lower your insulin resistance and help control your blood sugar levels.

The sustainable diet that is at a slight caloric deficit is the key to losing weight. Not easy to do, especially with tasty high calorie foods all around. Best wishes.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X