Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• AC7

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
    I heard something about toxic fat Still, that made me think of you.
    Have you ever looked into it?

Apparently we can't rid ourselves of it by the detox and cleanse methods mostly used.
    I’ve never heard of it. I never really bought into the cleanse/detox stuff – not completely. I never understood what you’re supposed to be detoxing. I’ve done what I do to reshape my body and improve my health.

I did hit a bit of a wall. A couple of weeks ago I was hurt because I had gained again at my weekly weigh in. I told myself that I was going to go back to juicing if that happened, which basically means I can kiss my muscle and strength goodbye. I’m in the mirror and I do a pose and my jaw drops. I look like a bodybuilder (well, a kinda fat one).

I tell my wife that I know where my weight is going and do the same pose for her. She nonchalantly says, “That’s nice,” then goes back to getting ready. But later she tells me what she saw was impressive and inspired her to make changes. Sure enough, she’s been mostly keeping up with me.

At my weigh in Monday I was almost 20 pounds heavier than at my lightest. But on the flip side, I’ve been wearing clothes that were way too big before. They’re still too big, but the musculature of my arms, shoulders, and chest make it not look as bad. Crazy stuff. We’re coming off of vacation, so I’ve been thrown off of schedule. I’m back on track and have a grip on the time-restricted eating now. I’m eager to see where I can take it…
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

• From what I understood in the fairly brief reading I did, this is a different phenomenon, and isn't corrected through these fad cleanses and such.

I do believe that we contact so many environmental toxins that our body cannot process all of it, and they can make us sick. That I believe. What happens in our body, where and how they're stored, and what affects they have, I don't think they know enough to give solid info. I'm glad the research is happening tho.
    I had read years ago in college about toxins being stored in fat, but it didn't go much deeper. I just remember the discussion in class about that being part of why animal fat is also so bad for us...they store their toxins there too.
    That's a 20 yr old discussion. Lol

I believe the one doc I was reading a statement from was a naturopath.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      I do believe that we contact so many environmental toxins that our body cannot process all of it, and they can make us sick.
      That makes sense. I just don't see where a cleanse is going to do much here.

I know that fasting and exercise promote autophagy – which is your body’s natural destruction of its cells. It allows for elimination of useless material and recycling of the good. There’s some science that shows that fasting organisms can handle toxicity much better than non-fasting ones – probably in part to this process.

I saw a documentary where fasting mice had much better health outcomes and life-expectancies when being given chemo. Some people have been seeing the same things, but ethical issues make it harder to do that kind of research on humans. I know that my body heals and operates better when I’m fasting.

I first noticed it after a juice fast (which a lot of people call a “juice cleanse”). I thought it was the juice. But now I’m convinced that it’s mostly the fasting. Water would probably get the same results, if not better. I control my health issues now just by fasting most of the day. It’s so effective, that I won’t ever stop – even when I’m slim.

Comment

• This is the end of my first solid week of comfortably doing one meal a day. As with all things in life, my results are mixed.

I had a flare up of one of my ongoing issues at the end of my vacation, so I’ve been dealing with pain and discomfort on and off. I’m disappointed that my diet and exercise hasn’t completely resolved it over the past week. When I was eating more I wasn’t having any issues. In my mind, the level of fasting I’m doing should have knocked this out. But, it’s like I’m getting diminishing returns or something.

On the flip side, I’ve been systematically tracking my weight weekly for over a month (I know I said I hate tracking, but I need to know what’s going on). My weigh-in today had me almost 8 pounds lighter than last week. I was coming off of vacation then, so I wasn’t normal, but I’m still optimistic. The question is whether or not I’ll keep floating around this weight or be able to drop.

I did no cardio over the past week. That’s pretty lame. I’ve been doing resistance training religiously though, almost out of necessity. I learned a few years ago that it helps me heal and minimizes pain. I can typically avoid talking anti-inflammatories if I train regularly and intensely when I’m having issues.

How are things with you all? Working out? Eating well?

Comment

• usually not one to serve desserts with meals but this weekend stopped at a shop to buy Mother's day gift and then peeked in bakery and bought a small not regular size, chocolate peanut butter pie for us to split 3 ways

it was yummy

Comment

• Speaking of sweet, chocolatey peanut butter treats, I've been making these things I call "royal banana sandwiches." I smear peanut butter (or almond butter) in a whole wheat tortilla. Then I sprinkle cacao nibs and hemp seed onto the peanut butter before I wrap it around a very ripe banana. Crazy good.

I made it up messing around right before I got on the road to go out of town. I was fantasizing about eating another one the whole vacation.

Comment

• Can we not discuss dessert pls? Lol

I'm really struggling with gym time on this schedule. I'm working longer shifts and getting in there early is proving a challenge. I have done it a few times but not consistently.
              And going after work, bites into my gardening time, and then it's 9 or later, before I get dinner...I'm trying hard to get it figured out.

Comment

• I'm really starting to see the results of lifting a little heavier. I'm so excited.
                I've not made drastic changes and it's only been a couple weeks or so, but the results are already showing.

I'm not straining myself or really even working that much harder, just adding to the weight. I feel so much stronger and the firmness is returning to my legs and getting some definition back to my arms.

Not that any of that was the goal...
                I carried 3 bags of groceries in my left hand this week...easily. I don't feel like my gym bag is going to topple me over any more either.
                I think I needed to push the weight a little and so glad I challenged myself.

Some days tho, the autoimmune is too much and I can barely do 5 reps with 7.5#...those days I leave it and just walk. I don't push or fight it.

So happy for all this.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  So happy for all this.
                  Me too! Keep up the good work!

Comment

• I was hoping I would lose 3, 4 pounds. I gained 2. Heartbroken

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                      I was hoping I would lose 3, 4 pounds. I gained 2. Heartbroken
                      Every once in a while during a struggle there is a setback. If you have figured out how to get to where you want to get, consider this one of the trials but don't give up on the struggle.
                      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Lol, how did this get here? And thanks, jns.

Comment

• Stillness, do you want this part of the conversation moved to a weight loss post? Starting with "I was hoping I would lose 3, 4 pounds. I gained 2. Heartbroken" AC7?
                          Last edited by jns; 05-14-2018, 11:17 AM.
                          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• As I mentioned on the wrong thread, I gained two pounds. The crazy thing is that I actually got back on track with my cardio and did resistance training six days. I'm pretty discouraged.

I was thinking that I'm at my limit with the exercise. I was starting to feel like I was hitting limits and having low energy after my first day of cardio. I felt forced to rest one day. But, I was cool with that because I never wanted to be muscle-bound. Then Saturday I put on a suit and it's tight all over, not just my chest and arms, but my back and legs too. And yesterday I hit just under my record speed on my elliptical when I was just trying to do a light workout.

I'm truly at a loss as to what's going on. I'm basically eating beans, potatoes and fruit once a day. There's just no way it's anywhere near what my body needs. I can feel the fat burning off all day - at least that's what I think I'm feeling. How is this happening? How do I lose so much weight in one week, then workout more intensely and gain the next? One day I ate some other stuff because I had a funeral, but one day shouldn't have thrown me off like this. If I haven't made progress after next week, I'm going to have to give up food for a while. I can't cut anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                              Stillness, do you want this part of the conversation moved to a weight loss post? Starting with "I was hoping I would lose 3, 4 pounds. I gained 2. Heartbroken" AC7?
                              Yes please

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Weird lump on perineum

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about this weird thing that I have. I have a small lump just beneath the vulvar opening, on my perineum. It seems...

Today, 10:19 AM By flowerybox
                              • Reply to AC7

It is hard to have self control when faced with a delicious meal! LOL.

Today, 06:21 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to PTSD

I was interesting in reading your post, MrMr. I can only imagine what you went through, so I won't condescend you by saying I do. But PTSD is common in...

Today, 06:20 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

I could not live without my computer, MrMr, so you're right with what you're saying. Blogging/Facebook/everything else, does help mental health. Maybe...

Today, 06:14 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Gender Identity, Expression, and Why It Matters – Discuss

I absolutely agree, Lakewolf Whitecrow.

I am sorry for what you went through. You should never have been targeted for being you are were...

Today, 06:06 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Weird lump on perineum

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about this weird thing that I have. I have a small lump just beneath the vulvar opening, on my perineum. It seems...

Today, 10:19 AM By flowerybox
                              • PTSD

Interested to hear from partners of ex servicemen and how they deal with their partners PTSD?

I've always thought that I've "gotten...

06-01-2019, 10:25 PM By MrMr
                              • Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

I do.

I am always on Facebook and the suchlike. I realize it sounds like spam, but it is legit. I also have my books being sold online and...

06-08-2019, 04:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Gender Identity, Expression, and Why It Matters – Discuss

Do you feel that your gender identity, or the way you express it, falls outside of the “norm”? Maybe you have a friend or family member you're concerned about? Have you – or a loved one – eve...

05-28-2019, 12:09 PM By Ashlee T.
                              • Glad to be here!

I found this site via my subscription to another writers’ site...and boy, I’m glad to be here!

I haven’t been published since the ‘70’s-‘80s,...

Yesterday, 11:39 AM By Lakewolf Whitecrow
                              Working...
                              X