Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I can't remember, do you change up your activities? If you're only using the elliptical you may be experiencing some muscle memory issues, causing a decreased output.

Have you looked into it?

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      I can't remember, do you change up your activities? If you're only using the elliptical you may be experiencing some muscle memory issues, causing a decreased output.

Have you looked into it?
      I have six different resistance routines that I alternate on. I could probably use some variety there, but my goal has just been to keep my body stressed for now.

The elliptical has been my only cardio lately, but I'll switch to mostly bike-riding when the weather breaks. Like with the resistance, my attitude has been just doing something for now. I want to just to finish losing weight first, then focus on the training more after.

I'm sure muscle memory comes into play with anything repetitive, but I don't see how that would decrease my output. Maybe I don't understand what you're saying? What do you mean by “output?”
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• When the muscles are doing the same thing over and over, it actually takes less actual effort and energy on your part to achieve the same action.

Quite sure I'm not explaining it well, but the gist is, it takes less of your effort. The elliptical does some of the work for you, also...so I've read.

Same with treadmills. I can feel a difference walking a mile on flat ground, vs walking a mile in the gym on a treadmill...there's a small difference in energy required. I've read the science behind these but, I'm not articulating that info well.

Comment

• I think what you're talking about is an issue with body builders because they can't get the same strength and mass gains from doing the same exercises, so they have to switch up.

I believe my problem is the opposite - my rapid muscle gain is confusing me. I was happier with my liquid diet results because even if I did lose muscle, I was losing weight and it was clear that most of it was fat. I thought I could replicate the weight loss without sacrificing solid food and muscle, but it's been months now and I've gained weight.

My wife just told me she also gained weight since she's joined me with the time restricted eating, but our scale is saying she's leaner. I may have to try that feature out to see if I can figure out what's going on. I know that the fasting triggers muscle growth, but I just didn't expect it to be this extreme. Maybe I'm still just eating too much? Maybe I need to slow up with the exercise? Focus more on cardio?

Comment

• How is everyone doing?

Comment

• I was just looking at my blood glucose numbers. Weight loss can lead to lower numbers. In the three months before traveling for an extended stay in Cambodia, my blood glucose averaged 126, testing twice a day before meals. In the three months following, the average dropped to 110. I then went back to the USA for 3 weeks before going to Cambodia for 2 1/2 months. At the end of the trip, the 3 month average was 98. Three months in the USA brought it up to 113 and I also gained a significant amount of weight. I am now dropping weight again in Cambodia and the one month average is 104. After dropping more weight I should be able to get down to the 98 again. Weight loss is an important part of lowering my blood glucose. My regulation here is also much better since the highs and lows are much closer together. I also halved one medication to keep from getting too many lows below the recommended minimum.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• We've given up the old format, but hopefully we haven't given up on getting healthier. Have we? How is everyone doing?

It's going on two years since I had the annual physical that scared me straight. I finally got around to getting another and I just got the results today. My doctor is very pleased with my weight loss. Her scale showed I was only 57 pounds lighter at 225. I weighed myself this morning and I was 209, but it's nothing for me to have huge fluctuations in my weight on a weekly basis because of my eating patterns.

She was highly apprehensive about my dietary changes - the high starch veganism in particular. I didn't even discuss the fasting with her because we ran out of time and I don't feel like she understands nutrition as well as she should. And I think my results justify my choices. My blood sugar levels are excellent now. That was my main concern. There was some kind of blood platelet count that showed up as slightly elevated, but it didn't seem to set off any alarms.

Now that I know I'm on the right track, I just need to continue to follow through. I'm having a bit of difficulty. I've been stuck at this weight for weeks now.

Comment

• I always find the doctor's scales interesting. You do your weight with clothes on. At home, I do my weight with clothes off or a minimal amount of underwear. The difference is around 5 pounds. Dieting cannot reduce the weight of your clothes by much. I think your observation on your doctor and nutrition can be generalized since most doctors do not have deep knowledge on nutrition. Good to hear that you are healthier. Best wishes and I hope the best is yet to come.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                    I always find the doctor's scales interesting. You do your weight with clothes on. At home, I do my weight with clothes off or a minimal amount of underwear. The difference is around 5 pounds. Dieting cannot reduce the weight of your clothes by much. I think your observation on your doctor and nutrition can be generalized since most doctors do not have deep knowledge on nutrition. Good to hear that you are healthier. Best wishes and I hope the best is yet to come.
                    Yeah, they asked me if I wanted to take off clothes or stuff out of my pockets, but I’m not really interested in what their scale says. I monitor my own weight. I wanted their fluid analysis. Plus, a higher weight measurement benefitted me for this visit, because it justifies buying some exercise equipment my wife wants with pretax dollars. It equates to a huge discount for us.

i wish you well too, brother

Comment

• I asked my niece how much nutrition she was taught in med school. Next to nothing. I think I've mentioned that before. She graduated a couple years ago...so, med school isn't changing for the better with regard to fundamental education.

I'm getting back on track, slowly.

Comment

• jns is absolutely right: weighing yourself with clothes on does add 5 pounds to the scales, which is why I always weight myself in my underwear.

And I do eat healthily: although I will never be vegetarian or vegan [a reference to another thread]. I enjoy eating meat and always will. However, I do eat a lot of veg. I also exercise. I definitely don't put on weight [although I love chocolate]. I have kept my weight steady for a good few years. I am very sensible with my diet. But - again - I do enjoy eating chocolate. Which is OK considering I don't touch ice cream, cake or biscuits. I don't eat fried food, either.

I think this is the right approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                          I enjoy eating meat and always will. However, I do eat a lot of veg.
                          From the research I've seen, meat-eaters can be just as healthy as strict plant-based eaters. When the meat is fish, some studies say they're healthier. It's only the typical Western meat-eating diet that gets higher rates of disease, obesity, and decreased longevity.

So, my diet is not just about physical health. I don't like the smell, taste, or thought of eating animals or their secretions. I'd probably do as well physically if I ate barbecued puppy dog or a slice of dolphin every now and then, but I do better mentally and spiritually when I stick to plants.

Comment

• Fair enough, Stillness. Actually, my brother is a vegetarian and has been for many years.

A lot of people have the notion that as long as the animal is killed very quickly and unaware of what's happening to it, then that is fine. However, in America, they still slit the throat of the cow and hang it upside down. This is deeply upsetting and awful for the animal. I don't understand why it's allowed in the states. In Britiain this is illegal. The abattoir is not a place I ever want to visit, but governments and the public need to make sure ALL animals are killed very quickly, so they don't know what's happening to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                              A lot of people have the notion that as long as the animal is killed very quickly and unaware of what's happening to it, then that is fine. However, in America, they still slit the throat of the cow and hang it upside down. This is deeply upsetting and awful for the animal. I don't understand why it's allowed in the states. In Britiain this is illegal. The abattoir is not a place I ever want to visit, but governments and the public need to make sure ALL animals are killed very quickly, so they don't know what's happening to them.
                              Interesting. I’m not a vegan in the full sense of the word, so I’m not up on all of the issues. (My diet is primarily selfish - not about the animals or the environment). I’ve never heard of this until now. Maybe they hang the animal up in the states to make sure it’s bled properly?

My concern would be how the animal’s treatment affected the quality of the meat, not about their feelings. It’s not that I don’t care about them, just that I think there are bigger fish to fry (haha) than animal welfare.

Still, I think it’s telling that you’d not want to visit a slaughterhouse. I wouldn’t either. That sentiment is part of what informs my diet. The animals look like subjects or companions to me, not like food. Some of them are extraordinarily intelligent or emotional, even the non-mammalian ones. This is why we have to steel ourselves and live in denial to eat them.

I’m not judging, because I wear leather shoes every day. I tell myself that something has to be done with the skin from all of the cows you people eat.

Comment

• Read up on the dairy industry, if you wanna talk about humane treatment....if we're going to take a stand based on animal welfare, let's be consistent and also stop dairy consumption. That's my issue...

I don't have a huge issue with eating meat and dairy, but yeah, I do have a pang of conscience when I think about factory farms, as they're called. I always have, but that wasn't the only factor behind my choice to cut back.

I am fortunate here in the Midwest, to have great sources for local farm eggs, butter, milk, and meats if I want them. A friend at work raises chickens, sells eggs to us. I know she treats her animals well. I know her... I know how she feels about animals in general. This is missing from the grocery store, mindless experience of buying meat.

I'd buy meat from a local farm, if I needed to. Or I've considered having one of my Hunter friends to share their venison with me, from their hunting trip. My brother also raises beef cattle. I know he was selective about the processor he uses for this reason...

So, my point is that we can decrease the use of these slaughter houses with some effort.

My Dad hunted when I was growing up. We had all kinds of meat, from rabbit to bear. My dad is the one that instilled in me compassion for animals, among other things, through his attitude towards suffering and killing and the reasons why and why not.

Doing the easy thing isn't always the best thing. (Grocery vs farming or hunting)

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Ashlee T I wonder if your friend turned the truth around to others that you were to blame for the friendship fail, to cover the fact that she had treated...

Yesterday, 11:06 PM By secretkeeper
                                • Reply to Whats wrong with my sex?!

Would it cause issues suddenly after so long? The doctor placed the mirena when he took my ovary and I was still pretty into sex up until about 2 months...

Yesterday, 07:00 PM By stateofconfusion
                                • Mid-Cycle Bleeding

Hi,

Okay, so in November I had a nervous breakdown. Had a normal cycle until February. About day 16-18 I had brown and clumpy spotting, right...

Yesterday, 06:23 PM By almostbritain
                                • Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Yes! It sounds like you've sorted this out quite well. It's cliche, but life is too short to spend on things that don't make you happy.

If...

Yesterday, 06:18 PM By Ashlee T.
                                • Reply to Whats wrong with my sex?!

It sounds like you have been through SO MUCH over the past couple years, your body AND your mind.

I'm so sorry you went through having to...

Yesterday, 06:08 PM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X