Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
    And she looks better slim. Everybody does.
    have to disagree that everyone looks better slim
    two former neighbors, very slim looked like sticks with many wrinkles

two people I know that lost weight, aged themselves by 20 yrs
    bodies looked better but faces are all wrinkly making them look old

once worked with a very slim person
    from behind, looked like she was in her 20's, then it was a shock when she turned around
    face also very wrinkly

Comment

• amy40 Some of that goes toward the reason someone is slim. You could lose weight by doing drugs, by eating an unhealthy diet, or with surgery and come out looking horrible. It doesn’t mean that slim people aren’t generally fitter and better looking. It means that you should eat well and abstain from drugs.

Think about it this way: not everyone slim looks good, but we’ve all seen people improve their looks by losing weight. But have you ever seen someone with a normal build get fat and thought, “Wow! They look great now”?

Also, we know that some societies encourage an overweight build and even find beauty in it. America has become one of them. That may also influence your perspective.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• the neighbor and co-worker were both smokers which kept them super slim but probably did create wrinkles

up to 12lbs loss and stuck but don't plan to lose too much as don't want to age my face
        most people think I'm younger than am and plan to stay that way, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
          up to 12lbs loss
          Go Amy! That's awesome!

Comment

• I think weight charts are kinda ridiculous.I think they're very misleading and cause harm to nondiscerning patients. I am a healthy weight for my bone structure, yet according to the chart, I'm at the edge of too heavy! it's laughable. I am a size 2 at my height and I know I need to maintain here. I've built muscle and I look great. I feel good and I'm getting stronger all the time.

Healthy is beautiful...if we wanna talk about looks. That's my mantra. I see some people at the gym and they are bigger than me, but they are working hard and that is so pleasing to my eye. They aren't fat, they're bone structure is just wider and they carry and distribute their weight differently. I have seen one woman regularly for 2 yrs. She's no thinner than 2 yrs ago, but she's dedicated and that is beautiful to me. She may also be fighting disease or just trying to do her best. That's what we all should do.

Wrinkles are inevitable but genetics and lifestyle play a role. Staying hydrated and taking care of the skin is important to fight aging. Veggies are good for that too. I have been fortunate so far, and still look young but, it's gonna catch up with me eventually. I take a lot of pride in my appearance so, that's a tough one.

Comment

• I wonder if people worried about wrinkles much before marketing of "beauty" products convinced people that they were much less handsome or beautiful without them.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                I think weight charts are kinda ridiculous.I think they're very misleading and cause harm to nondiscerning patients. I am a healthy weight for my bone structure, yet according to the chart, I'm at the edge of too heavy!
                I’m kind of ashamed that I don’t know what 2 means. I know that 0 is model size, right? But wouldn’t being within the recommended range make you normal? Or are you saying you’re so slim that you should have a lot of room to gain a few pounds while still being considered normal, but the chart says you shouldn’t?

This is actually something I’m very interested in, because I have no idea where I want to be weightwise. I had always thought that chart was way off too, but as the pounds are coming off and I’m still seeing that I’m very overweight, it’s looking more and more reasonable.

Comment

• You mean the size? I'm a small size in dresses and pants. I don't know what model size is, but there aren't many women's sizes smaller. I was a size 10 at 162 pounds a few years ago. I dont know my current weight, tho iithink it's 135-140. The thing is, I'm not super slim. I still have shape and a full bottom, boobs and I'm not tiny anywhere, but I do not need to be losing any more weight, or I would be hitting the boundary I think. BUT...the chart says, at my height 140 is the top end of a healthy weight. To look at me, I think I should lose no more...chart says I'm almost too heavy.
                  So, the weight/height ratio isn't always telling the tale.
                  Also, I've seen different charts. One I saw puts me in the middle for my height.

I have always carried weight well, tho. When I was at 160, nobody believed it, not even my doc. Now at this weight, ppl guess i weigh125 or less. It could be they have a skewed perspective of weight, but some are medical professionals. So, the way our body distributes the weight is key also. I have turned a lot to muscle over the past couple years as well.

The objective for me was only weight loss in the beginning. My goal had been 145 and I reached that before I got very sick. When I shifted to nutrition and healthy living as my focus, I dropped more sizes and my body took on new life. I think that's so important, and THAT is what I encourage for anyone who comes to me with questions. My body has worked as hard for me as I did and I love my body now. Not because it's pretty, but because it's healthy and fighting for me to achieve a better quality of life. I never expected to lose more.

Now, I'm 100% woman tho, in that I put on a dress and I can genuinely say I love how I look. But, really Still...if I'm honest, I love how I feel. When I get dressed up, put on some sassy heels and head to work or the grocery, or dinner, I think about those days I could hardly walk in tennis shoes. That is where I find my beauty. Mobility, strength, health, and determination never to return to those days of sickness. That is my motivation more than weight ever was. The appearance of me in the mirror looking good is just the physical manifestation of my journey to health and being the woman I love to be.

I'm grateful. I put on my tennis skirt and I am grateful to be able to play. For 2 years I couldn't make it through the warm up...so, I may be looking at how cute I look, but it's really coming from a much deeper place. There's really no amount of or quality of cheesecake to ever make me let go of the progress I've made.

That's kind of not on topic, and an emotional rant, but I think you probably have similar experiences with your weight loss journey. It's a battle, but when our goals are correct and mind is right, we can do what we have to do and it seems less taxing and less like a chore. It's just our way of life.

That's my lazy Saturday morning rant.

Comment

• used to be that it was 100# for 5' and 5# for each inch
                    so a 5'5" women would be 125#

think the Dr charts give a lot more leeway now

Comment

There's really no amount of or quality of cheesecake to ever make me let go of the progress I've made.

That's kind of not on topic, and an emotional rant, but I think you probably have similar experiences with your weight loss journey.
                      This couldn’t be more on topic!

So many people don’t understand what you just said. I wouldn’t have a few years ago. I struggled with being overweight since single digits, lost weight, and gained it all back. So many people yo-yo with their weight like this - going from diet to diet or having spurts of exercise, then falling off.

If I tell most people it’s not possible for me to gain the weight back this time, I might as well be speaking a foreign language. They’re thinking in terms of tricks, techniques, and short term fixes as opposed to lifelong wellness. They don’t know that you may get pleasure from food, but the joy of eating is diminished if your belly dominates and it’s keeping you in an unhealthy state. I can barely even communicate with people on this issue. I had to eliminate nonsense to get where I am and I just don’t have time for it.

This sounds cliché, but more and more I think a lot of people have something like an addictive relationship to food. I count myself as having been in that number. Maybe I still am. It’s hard to dissect because food is natural and necessary. But I look at old pictures or video of myself and it’s shocking. How does a person let themselves get more than 100 pounds overweight? It’s some kind of mental illness.

I’m in the 190’s now. I need new clothes again.

Comment

• Congratulations on that!

Mental illness? Not sure it meets that criteria, but I do think there's something wrong with the signals to our brain. Sugar affects us much like drugs. I believe many food additives work similarly.

I agree our relationship with food is unhealthy. Part of it also is the abundance and availability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                          I’m in the 190’s now. I need new clothes again.
                          It sounds like your diet is going well.
                          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                            It sounds like your diet is going well.
                            Yeah, I'll hit my target within the next couple of days. It's more like "no diet," though. I haven't eaten in almost 3 weeks.

Comment

Mental illness?
                              Is addiction mental illness?

I think that if a person is doing something they know is harmful to themselves for immediate pleasure and they can’t stop, then there’s something wrong with them mentally, whether it’s drugs, alcohol, or food. The only question is how willful their actions are with eating. And that’s where things like ignorance and cultural beliefs can come into play.

For me, there was some ignorance, but also denial. I think there is for many people. There’s a strong connection between denial and mental illness. We’re probably all familiar with how important admitting one has a problem is for addicts.

Comment

• I'm not sure that poor dietary choices rise to the same level as addiction to a substance or gambling. Maybe for others...I just don't know.

are we discussing formal diagnosis via the DSM or what we believe? I didn't look up the most current diagnostic criteria honestly.

it is so easily reversed without treatment. I changed, and I know of many others that have all simply made better choices for themselves. I believe it is cultural, social and that there are chemical changes in our brain with some foods, but I'm not sure that is the primary mental health issue.

I do believe that concurrent mental illness contributes to a person's Inability to make those better choices, tho. Things like depression, anxiety or personality disorders would certainly interfere with that. I struggle with depression too, but amazingly enough, that also improved greatly with my lifestyle changes.

Maybe those with addictive tendencies are exhibiting that with food, rather than alcohol, etc.

There was a time my sugar "addiction" was so strong that I would hide to avoid being seen chowing down on another candy bar...I'd eat a spoonful of brown sugar if nothing else was available. That was bad. I simply made the choice to stop tho. I didn't act on those impulses.
                                I don't know about others...is it a dependence for them? I'm just not sure our research and science has gone deep enough.

I found out that I had a fungal overgrowth in my gut....once I treated that, the sugar was also less an issue for me.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X