Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
    I wouldn't try fasting myself
    You do it every day, otherwise you’d never truly be able to do breakfast.

If you’re like the average American, you probably do it for 10-11 hours every day and eat for 13-14 hours. I basically do it the other way around. It’s why I wore a size 16-1/2 shirt for the first time I ever remember yesterday.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I have put on a little bit of weight. This is because I was eating chocolate. I now have to ween myself off it. I try to eat less: like a bowl of cereal in the morning, a light sandwich in the afternoon and a healthy homecooked dinner. I don't eat crisps or ice cream. I don't fry my food. I am disappointed in myself for putting on weight. I now eat less but I've never been one to comfort eat.

Anyhow, it will come off. And I am preventing further weight gain by not eating the rubbish.

Comment

I have put on a little bit of weight.
        Me too. I got sick and haven't been following my normal routine.

I try not to sweat it too much, though. Whenever I feel like it I can drop the extra weight in a few days.

Speaking of cereal, I had gone years without having any. (I'm talking the processed kind with added sugar and puffed grains). Then I went of vacation a couple of months ago and went cereal crazy. I had a ball with it. Then I saw this video about these studies that show that food structure matters. So, even a whole grain cereal spikes insulin more than the in-tact whole grain, so the processed cereal makes you hungrier faster. Even oatmeal (which I eat a lot of) spikes insulin less when it's steel cut versus the quick oats. And peanut butter is less filling than peanuts.

I'm now more determined than ever to eat whole, minimally processed foods. I'm still eating chips, ice cream, and pizza though.

Comment

This is because I was eating chocolate.
          BTW, have you ever tried raw cacao? It's what chocolate is made from. I've had the whole beans and the powder, but my favorite is the nibs.

It's extremely bitter, but I put it in my oatmeal or eat it with some dried fruit to get my chocolate fix. It's good for you and less fattening than the stuff with added sugar, fats, and dairy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

Me too. I got sick and haven't been following my normal routine.

I try not to sweat it too much, though. Whenever I feel like it I can drop the extra weight in a few days.

Speaking of cereal, I had gone years without having any. (I'm talking the processed kind with added sugar and puffed grains). Then I went of vacation a couple of months ago and went cereal crazy. I had a ball with it. Then I saw this video about these studies that show that food structure matters. So, even a whole grain cereal spikes insulin more than the in-tact whole grain, so the processed cereal makes you hungrier faster. Even oatmeal (which I eat a lot of) spikes insulin less when it's steel cut versus the quick oats. And peanut butter is less filling than peanuts.

I'm now more determined than ever to eat whole, minimally processed foods. I'm still eating chips, ice cream, and pizza though.
            My experience with processed foods is that they are a likely cause for weight gain even if you are keeping your calories down. Weight gain and blood sugar numbers move in the same direction for diabetics.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

My experience with processed foods is that they are a likely cause for weight gain even if you are keeping your calories down.
              Yeah, I wasn’t aware that minimally processed products made with whole foods (e.g. peanut butter, whole grain pasta) spike blood sugar more than the intact food.

Comment

• Still, have you tried making your own peanut butter, or other nut butters?

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  Still, have you tried making your own peanut butter, or other nut butters?
                  No. My juicer can make it, but I've never actually done it. I may have made some at Whole Foods, but I typically buy peanut butter or almond butter from Kroger or Meijer. I buy the kind that's just nuts.

Comment

• Funnily enough, I bought peanut butter from the supermarket yesterday! I had a peanut butter sandwich this morning: delicious. I wouldn't attempt to make it myself, though! LOL.

Comment

• just reached 16lb so losing 1lb per mos

will report back in Oct, lol
                      to see if make it to twenty

how's everyone else doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                        just reached 16lb so losing 1lb per mos

will report back in Oct, lol
                        to see if make it to twenty
                        Most people are gaining weight slowly. 2/3 of the population are overweight now. If you're steadily and consistently slimming, it puts you far ahead of the curve. I'm proud of you. This is very encouraging.

I've taken a break for the past month and a half. I think my body forced me too. I was feeling stress that I couldn't shake. Then I got a bad cold. I think my immune system was suppressed. Following that was allergies. So I've been chilling - no serious exercise or weight loss efforts. It's been cool eating normally. I realized that I haven't felt that for two years. It gave me a glimpse of what life will be like for me once I get where I want to be.

Now, play time is over. I'm relaxed and enjoying the sun. I've been working out every day for a few days. I started my first weight loss push since the middle of April. I'm shooting for dropping 20+ pounds over the next month. I'm going to the beach in July and want to look much better than I do now.

Comment

• Homemade peanut butter is da bomb I encourage you to try it Still. I don't have time any more, so I buy the natural nut butters too. Side note: this is one area that buying organic is worth the extra dollar or two.

Comment

• I would never have thought of making my own peanut butter, atskitty2! I probably won't, but it is a good suggestion. I definitely love the stuff.

Do you remember nutella? I loved that, too! Yummy breakfast food. I especially liked the one with white chocolate in.

I am hungry now!

Comment

• I won 12 jars of nut butters from a small shop called She's Nuts and omg.....dangerous. Her almond/pecan butters are pure heaven. The honey lavender is my favorite, but I didn't try one single flavor that was not delicious. They are all totally pure, too. No added junk! It was hard for me to have them and not overindulge.
                              "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Nutella is not a healthy food, so no, I haven't eaten that in years. But yes, I do recall it's delicious!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X