Women’s Health Interactive Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
    I wouldn't try fasting myself
    You do it every day, otherwise you’d never truly be able to do breakfast.

    If you’re like the average American, you probably do it for 10-11 hours every day and eat for 13-14 hours. I basically do it the other way around. It’s why I wore a size 16-1/2 shirt for the first time I ever remember yesterday.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

    Comment


    • I have put on a little bit of weight. This is because I was eating chocolate. I now have to ween myself off it. I try to eat less: like a bowl of cereal in the morning, a light sandwich in the afternoon and a healthy homecooked dinner. I don't eat crisps or ice cream. I don't fry my food. I am disappointed in myself for putting on weight. I now eat less but I've never been one to comfort eat.

      Anyhow, it will come off. And I am preventing further weight gain by not eating the rubbish.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
        I have put on a little bit of weight.
        Me too. I got sick and haven't been following my normal routine.

        I try not to sweat it too much, though. Whenever I feel like it I can drop the extra weight in a few days.

        Speaking of cereal, I had gone years without having any. (I'm talking the processed kind with added sugar and puffed grains). Then I went of vacation a couple of months ago and went cereal crazy. I had a ball with it. Then I saw this video about these studies that show that food structure matters. So, even a whole grain cereal spikes insulin more than the in-tact whole grain, so the processed cereal makes you hungrier faster. Even oatmeal (which I eat a lot of) spikes insulin less when it's steel cut versus the quick oats. And peanut butter is less filling than peanuts.

        I'm now more determined than ever to eat whole, minimally processed foods. I'm still eating chips, ice cream, and pizza though.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
          This is because I was eating chocolate.
          BTW, have you ever tried raw cacao? It's what chocolate is made from. I've had the whole beans and the powder, but my favorite is the nibs.

          It's extremely bitter, but I put it in my oatmeal or eat it with some dried fruit to get my chocolate fix. It's good for you and less fattening than the stuff with added sugar, fats, and dairy.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Stillness View Post

            Me too. I got sick and haven't been following my normal routine.

            I try not to sweat it too much, though. Whenever I feel like it I can drop the extra weight in a few days.

            Speaking of cereal, I had gone years without having any. (I'm talking the processed kind with added sugar and puffed grains). Then I went of vacation a couple of months ago and went cereal crazy. I had a ball with it. Then I saw this video about these studies that show that food structure matters. So, even a whole grain cereal spikes insulin more than the in-tact whole grain, so the processed cereal makes you hungrier faster. Even oatmeal (which I eat a lot of) spikes insulin less when it's steel cut versus the quick oats. And peanut butter is less filling than peanuts.

            I'm now more determined than ever to eat whole, minimally processed foods. I'm still eating chips, ice cream, and pizza though.
            My experience with processed foods is that they are a likely cause for weight gain even if you are keeping your calories down. Weight gain and blood sugar numbers move in the same direction for diabetics.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            ...
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

            From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jns View Post

              My experience with processed foods is that they are a likely cause for weight gain even if you are keeping your calories down.
              Yeah, I wasn’t aware that minimally processed products made with whole foods (e.g. peanut butter, whole grain pasta) spike blood sugar more than the intact food.
              "Those sowing seed with tears
              Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

              Comment


              • Still, have you tried making your own peanut butter, or other nut butters?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  Still, have you tried making your own peanut butter, or other nut butters?
                  No. My juicer can make it, but I've never actually done it. I may have made some at Whole Foods, but I typically buy peanut butter or almond butter from Kroger or Meijer. I buy the kind that's just nuts.
                  "Those sowing seed with tears
                  Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

                  Comment


                  • Funnily enough, I bought peanut butter from the supermarket yesterday! I had a peanut butter sandwich this morning: delicious. I wouldn't attempt to make it myself, though! LOL.

                    Comment

                    Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

                    Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

                    Latest Posts in Our Forums

                    Collapse

                    • Reply to AC7

                      Funnily enough, I bought peanut butter from the supermarket yesterday! I had a peanut butter sandwich this morning: delicious. I wouldn't attempt to make...

                      Today, 05:51 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Reply to I dont trust Mother

                      I can understand your feelings about your brother: he should've known better than to take and squander your mother's money. Because - as you know - he...

                      Today, 05:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Reply to So nervous about my first pap smear

                      I second Ashlee T's post.

                      It'll be over before you know it and will be painless. You could talk to the nurse doing the pap smear and tell...

                      Today, 05:40 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Reply to What kind of music do you listen to?

                      I am definitely a pop princess when it comes to music! I love Kylie, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, The Pussycat Dolls. As you can tell,...

                      Today, 05:34 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Reply to hello all

                      Welcome back, Olympia!

                      Today, 05:32 AM By Popcorn&Candy

                    Latest Topics in Our Forums

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X