Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC7

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I ran 5 miles yesterday morning, did a kettle bell workout in the evening and ate a large pizza and a full chocolate cheese cake a few hours later. Its ridiculous. I felt horrible afterwards

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMr View Post
      My option has always been that if you are consistent with your exercise then you don't need to beat yourself up so much with a diet. Especially if you are someone who has a chest then decides they will get back to dieting on a Monday or whatever. Just start again tomorrow.

Unless you are a professional athlete then you are allowed to make not so smart choices.
      If you want to build strength and stamina, exercise is a must. But, I think diet trumps exercise for weight loss and general health. I don't even think it's close.

You could exercise regularly and have diabetes, obesity, clogged arteries, and a whole host of issues that would disappear with no exercise and a proper diet.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

If you want to build strength and stamina, exercise is a must. But, I think diet trumps exercise for weight loss and general health. I don't even think it's close.

You could exercise regularly and have diabetes, obesity, clogged arteries, and a whole host of issues that would disappear with no exercise and a proper diet.
        Diet can help you lose weight but weight loss doesn't equate to health. You could eat clean 7 days a week and do no exercise and have a weak cardiovascular system, joints and muscles.

If you exercise regularly you aren't going to suffer the consequences of slipping up in your diet.

Weight lifting also increases dopamine, growth hormones and testosterone

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMr View Post
          Diet can help you lose weight but weight loss doesn't equate to health.
          Yeah, if you lost it because you picked up a meth habit or got cancer it doesn't. But if you went from obesity to normalcy by eating healthier, it does equate to health.

I don't know about Europe, but in the States, we were told that we're fat and unhealthy because we're too inactive. It's why the fitness industry is so huge here - the largest in the world, if I'm not mistaken.

Now we've found out that it's a lie. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. And people aren't fat and sick because they had a "slip up" anymore than they get lung cancer from one cigarette. Exercise is good for you, but you can't do enough jumping jacks and bench presses to eliminate the damage from an unhealthy lifestyle. I've tried it. Millions have tried it. There's science on it. It doesn't work.

Comment

• You're both right lol

Health is defined as the absence of illness or injury; or our condition mentally or physically. I think it's reasonable to extrapolate that if we're at increased risk of illness or injury, that also is a state of ill-health.

Food and proper movement go hand in hand, alongside our mental processes. We can't have "good health" unless all these are working together.
            ????

Comment

• Doctors and nurses were saying that you needed to eliminate or almost eliminate fats for a healthy diet that would control our weight. An Atkins diet or something similar could not work. It was all dogma. My belief is that diet modification is the main way to lose weight and keep it off. Exercise is good but it often fails at losing weight.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Food and proper movement go hand in hand, alongside our mental processes.
                Originally posted by jns View Post
                diet modification is the main way to lose weight and keep it off. Exercise is good but it often fails at losing weight.
                Yes, yes, and triple yes on the mental component.

The concern is that when exercise doesn’t work the way people expect, they give up and don’t get enough. So, ironically, overemphasis of exercise could mean less of it. I’m way more consistent with exercise now that I’m not trying to use it to “burn calories.”

Besides the misinformation, it’s confusing because movement does use energy. The flip side of that logic is that food is necessary for movement. But, if someone was training to win a marathon, no trainer would tell them they could out-eat lack of exercise. You need a good diet, but physical training is the focus to prepare for an event that will involve physical activity. We all know and accept that.

But when it’s flipped and you’re talking about weight loss, the logic isn’t there for most people. They still think you can out-exercise a bad diet. They think they aren’t fat because of overeating. They separate the function and dysfunction of their bodies from what they put into them. I know it firsthand because I lied to myself and it failed me over and over. I watch others fail the same way all the time.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X