• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

motivation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
    down to one meal/day
    Just weighed and down 9#
    Keep it going!

If you were diabetic, I would say that one meal is too little, that you should do two. I had to do that. Not being diabetic leaves you the choice of one meal a day.

In some primitive cultures, eating a big meal every several days is normal as food is not continuously available, especially in cultures that live on hunting wild game. They could hunt every day and would deplete the animals to hunt. Doing so would waste a lot of food, also. Cultures living in balance with their food sources and environment usually are quite efficient.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
      If you were diabetic, I would say that one meal is too little, that you should do two. I had to do that. Not being diabetic leaves you the choice of one meal a day.
      Why? I've got a diabetic buddy that eats in a 2 hour window every day, which is basically one big, long meal. I haven't checked with him about it in a couple of weeks, but last I asked he had been doing it for a month+ and had seen nothing but benefits to his blood sugar levels and overall health.

Eating like that improves insulin sensitivity. Conversely, eating more frequently reduces it. It doesn't seem right that a diabetic couldn't eat less. It seems like exactly what they should do. There's a study I saw a few months back where long-term, insulin-dependent diabetics followed an intermittent fasting protocol and came off of their medication over the period of a few weeks.

Also, I bet the rate of diabetes in those "primitive" cultures is close to 0. Type 2 diabetes is a disease of lifestyle, kinda like respiratory issues for cigarette smokers or liver issues for alcoholics. Unless the body is so compromised that it can't heal anymore, changing one's eating habits will resolve it, or at least improve it.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post

Why? I've got a diabetic buddy that eats in a 2 hour window every day, which is basically one big, long meal. I haven't checked with him about it in a couple of weeks, but last I asked he had been doing it for a month+ and had seen nothing but benefits to his blood sugar levels and overall health.

Eating like that improves insulin sensitivity. Conversely, eating more frequently reduces it. It doesn't seem right that a diabetic couldn't eat less. It seems like exactly what they should do. There's a study I saw a few months back where long-term, insulin-dependent diabetics followed an intermittent fasting protocol and came off of their medication over the period of a few weeks.

Also, I bet the rate of diabetes in those "primitive" cultures is close to 0. Type 2 diabetes is a disease of lifestyle, kinda like respiratory issues for cigarette smokers or liver issues for alcoholics. Unless the body is so compromised that it can't heal anymore, changing one's eating habits will resolve it, or at least improve it.
        Type 1 diabetics (no insulin production) usually die in primitive cultures. So they are not used in the statistics except for the short time after their insulin production stops. However, they could possibly live in a culture that ate almost no carbohydrates.

The story of your buddy is interesting. I wonder how his a1c results will come out after a year at it. Maybe it will prove that the medical community was lying, at least in some cases.

As a diabetic, your blood sugar peaks when you eat. It is those peaks that damage your internal organs and nervous system. The theory is to eat small amounts so as to never peak high enough to do damage.

Body fat has a lot to do with insulin resistance. Lose the fat and the blood sugar regulation usually improves. Primitive cultures usually do not have a lot of fat people. If the fasting causes a loss of body fat it is usually a good thing for a diabetic. Some people who are diabetic are skinny and still cannot produce enough insulin.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

deleted
          Last edited by Stillness; 12-06-2018, 05:08 PM. Reason: moved to different thread
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Thankfully I'm not diabetic. But my father is. It must be awful. Still, it can be managed. I am surprised at how common the condition is. Or maybe not: it has arisen since the introduction of convenience foods in the 70's. People have also been getting bigger. The western diet has a lot to answer for: and I mean that with all seriousness.

Comment

Working...
            X