• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Fasting For Weight Loss ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Fasting For Weight Loss ?

Water fasting is a diet, people follow this to lose their weight by consuming nothing but water. To me, It's super extreme. You can't believe there are some existing water fasting clinics inspiring people to do it. But it's not okay.

You will lose weight as you are not taking anything other than water for a long period of time and it's extremely unhealthy. But the fact is that it's not an endurable weight loss, as you'll gain it back in time.

Do you prefer the water fasting or just leave it? And if so___Why?

Yes, I do water fasting but not for a whole day. I prefer to have a meal at one time for an entire day. I do this bcoz it gives relief to my digestive system and body.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen Swan View Post
      Yes, I do water fasting but not for a whole day. I prefer to have a meal at one time for an entire day. I do this bcoz it gives relief to my digestive system and body.
      There are many strategies for water fasting. I think this one is good to follow who are suffering from obesity.

Comment

Thanks, jamesrcurtis. But I want to add one thing more that if you are taking meal one time in a day, then add only vegetables, fruits, and other healthy food in yours. If you eat oily or other junk food, then it may give a bad effect on your intestine and liver.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesrcurtis View Post
          But the fact is that it's not an endurable weight loss, as you'll gain it back in time.
          True...if you only do it once and then stop. Water fasting is not ideal for that.

But for people who use it to lose and maintain weight loss and general good health, it's a powerful method.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

yeah, you will lose weight—because you're not ingesting anything other than water for extended periods of time, which again, is extremely unhealthy. But it's not a sustainable weight loss, so you'll eventually gain it back—maybe even more, says Linsenmeyer.
            “Your metabolism actually slows during the starvation state as the body aims to conserve energy, which is counterproductive to long-term weight loss.”
            So, no, water fasting is definitely not recommended as a way to lose weight.

Comment

Yes, you will lose weight because you're starving yourself. But the weight comes back on once normal eating is resumed. In fact, more weight than before will come on. Plus, your intestine - and the rest of your body - needs food to function. No food can mean embarrassing trips to the toilet [I don't mean to be crude]. But it has happened. And it is even worse when laxatives are included. You DO NOT want to go down that route.

There is no short cut to losing weight: it takes time and exercise. Also, you should always eat properly when exercising: no food + exercise = a trip to the hospital. The fact is, I would strongly advise anyone to avoid starving themselves. The body does need food to function. Again, there is no short cut to getting slim.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                Yes, you will lose weight because you're starving yourself. But the weight comes back on once normal eating is resumed. In fact, more weight than before will come on. Plus, your intestine - and the rest of your body - needs food to function. No food can mean embarrassing trips to the toilet [I don't mean to be crude]. But it has happened. And it is even worse when laxatives are included. You DO NOT want to go down that route.

There is no short cut to losing weight: it takes time and exercise. Also, you should always eat properly when exercising: no food + exercise = a trip to the hospital. The fact is, I would strongly advise anyone to avoid starving themselves. The body does need food to function. Again, there is no short cut to getting slim.
                Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Marry Will View Post
                  yeah, you will lose weight—because you're not ingesting anything other than water for extended periods of time, which again, is extremely unhealthy. But it's not a sustainable weight loss, so you'll eventually gain it back—maybe even more, says Linsenmeyer.
                  “Your metabolism actually slows during the starvation state as the body aims to conserve energy, which is counterproductive to long-term weight loss.”
                  So, no, water fasting is definitely not recommended as a way to lose weight.
                  Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Marry Will View Post
                    But it's not a sustainable weight loss, so you'll eventually gain it back—maybe even more, says Linsenmeyer.
                    Then I must be a fictional character, because I’ve used various fasting protocols, including water fasting, to lose and continue to lose fat over the past year and a half+. I’ll never gain it back.

And I’m not the only one. A lot of people have fasted to slim down. Part of my inspiration was countless vlogs showing people successfully using intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating.

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                    But the weight comes back on once normal eating is resumed.
                    I understand how you feel, but if a person’s eating was normal (i.e. “healthy”) they wouldn’t be fat in the first place. What you’re really saying is that if they go back to their former, unhealthy lifestyle, they’ll get fat again. That’s probably true. But, if they follow healthy eating patterns they can maintain.

Also, I disagree that fasting is a “shortcut.” I’ve been slimming down since early 2017 and I’m still working on it. It’s been a long and difficult road.

Comment

You have to be careful on what you define as normal. I have read about studies that indicate that being slightly overweight for standard BMI categories is actually more healthy than being of "normal" weight. I believe that this is because the extra weight allows a person to survive a sickness that they might otherwise die because of. The extra weight might not be desirable for someone in their teens or twenties but might be desirable for an Inuit person following a traditional diet. Just because someone made up a formula and defined normal by it, doesn't mean that that is correct for all individuals and circumstances.

I think fasting is normal and a useful technique to get through some weight loss resistance points. That doesn't mean it should be used all of the time and with increasing strictness.
                      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Having a larger frame or more muscular build than a BMI table accounts for, or even a little extra body fat is one thing. Being so fat that your quality of life or health is diminished is another. The latter state doesn’t seem normal to me.

And I’m all for examining traditional diets. I don’t think the Inuit diet is a model for healthy living, though. If anything, it’s an example of what not to eat if you have a choice. At least from what I’ve seen. The traditional Okinawan diet seems to be more of positive example.

Comment

I agree with your post, jns.

Comment

It breaks my heart to see any kind of negativity or stigma attached to fasting. It's something that all of us do daily and are built for. More than that, it's good for us, as a growing body of research is showing. It's a solution to or aid to recovery for so many mental and physical ailments. Saying that it's bad for you is like saying exercise is bad for you. It's an unfortunate belief.

The ironic thing with all of this is that techniques like calorie restriction, high-fat/protein diets, and working out for weight loss are the ones that lower metabolism, destroy the body, frustrate, and fail long-term.

Comment

Working...
                            X