• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Day Water Fast – An Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Day Water Fast – An Experiment

I’m trying it out. I’ll log some of my progress here.

Up until now I’ve only done long-term fasts using juices and smoothies. I made progress with fat loss doing that, but gave it up early this year. I’ve continued using various time-restricted eating and intermittent fasting protocols. Now I want to dig deeper.

I’ve been preparing myself for this for a while – mentally and physically. In fact, I’ve just done something else I’ve never done in my life – resistance training 12 days in a row with no rest day. It’s like a running leap.

Technique: Drink water only for 10 days. Day 11 - juice/smoothies.

Main Goal: Losing belly fat; Generally improving health

Stretch Goal: Hitting 200 lbs. or less (the lightest I’ve been in decades is 212 lbs. a few weeks ago). This will be hard because I’m probably well over 220 after the heavy training.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Classic thought on this is that it will result in a loss of both muscle and fat. Was your intention to build up your muscle mass so that this fast will have that to burn along with the fat? I suspect you will lose somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound a day at the beginning if you do not count water weight, probably closer to 1/2 pound. How long are you going to keep this up?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Stillness let us know how it goes and if you get your results

Comment

Day 1: Waist - 47-3/8”; Weighed-in at a whopping 223.6 lbs
        My wife measured me and took pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
          Classic thought on this is that it will result in a loss of both muscle and fat. Was your intention to build up your muscle mass so that this fast will have that to burn along with the fat? I suspect you will lose somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound a day at the beginning if you do not count water weight, probably closer to 1/2 pound. How long are you going to keep this up?
          I trained to be strong mentally and physically.

I won’t ever go back to how I used to live. That way of life is death and is dead to me forever.

----

Originally posted by amy40 View Post

Stillness let us know how it goes and if you get your results
          Of course. But there is no “if” involved. Even when I fail (and I do all the time) I succeed because there is no more quit in me. Unless I lose my mind or God says my time is up, I won’t stop.

And I don’t know how you feel about the small changes you’ve made. But in my eyes they’re major.

That’s not me “being positive.” I’ve turned my life around a little at a time - trying one thing here and another there. Building on little successes and tweaking my failures. My mind switched in the spring of 2017, but I really had my first break through in 2012. So, I've been at it a while. That’s why what I’m doing now is an experiment. I don’t know how it will work out. I just know that I’ll succeed…if Jehovah allows it.

Comment

Day 2: 218.6#

The measurements and pictures my wife took of me last night were shameful. I’ve never seen a full body picture of myself undressed. I’m not in the shape I thought I was. It’s depressing. The mental target that I’ve had the past year and a half of 90-100 pounds of weight loss is probably not enough. I’ve still got a long way to go.

On a positive note, the 5 pound drop was nice. I expect another 3 pounds today before I move to a consistent pace. I’m hoping for 1.5 pounds a day. That means I likely won’t hit my stretch goal…but it was a stretch.

Comment

how tall are you, stillness?

don't get discouraged; think about how much you've lost already

Comment

Day 3: 216.0

I overestimated what I’d lose yesterday. Hopefully I’m not wrong about what my daily loss will be. I want to finish well below 210.

Concerns that the heavy training might backfire and put me into a hard acidosis crisis were unwarranted. It’s serving me well. Easiest two days on a fast ever. Resumed training yesterday. Didn’t expect that. Energy levels are high. Senses sharpening.

My wife joined me yesterday. It’ll be good to have her along for the ride.

amy40 5'8"

Comment

If you can keep losing in the 2 pounds per day rate, I will be surprised as that represents a deficit of about 7000 calories a day. It is doable with a heavy exercise regime. The first day loss represents about 17500 calories. I doubt you were exercising that hard. It was probably mostly water weight. It takes water to burn the fat and protein. Best wishes on your fasting and exercise.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

When I used to watch "Naked and Afraid", I always looked at the before and after number for weight loss. It was always surprising how slow the weight came off while on a diet that usually consisted of water and some inconsequential calories from something caught or something harvested over 21 days or 14 days. Men usually lost more due to higher body weights and a somewhat higher metabolism. The women suffered just as much but did not get as much of a benefit. But, many times they made smarter choices on using their energy reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                      It is doable with a heavy exercise regime.
                      I'm not doing real exercise anymore. I can't sustain it following more strict fasting protocols. I've tried it in the past and failed. The body more heavily targets fat for energy if there's activity - even light exercise. So, that's all I'm doing. I want adipose tissue gone, not muscle.

And you're right about water weight. There's also food in my digestive system that accounts for the big decrease. When I start eating every day I'll gain a good five pounds. If my weight after I resume eating is below the 212 pounds I mentioned before, I'll be satisfied.

Comment

Day 4: 213.6#

Frustrated, uncertain, conflicted, and feeling disconnected. I threw away good food last night. It hurt a lot. Vivid dreams of eating. It feels stupid not to.

It felt like weights were holding me to the bed after a quick nap. I’m lightheaded when I rise. Lost my balance multiple times. Broke out in a cold sweat at work. Underarms soaked.

I let my emotions interrupt my focus and did too many pushups this morning. I may pay later, but it felt good and there’s comfort in my strength. Exceeded water fasting record. Still going strong.

Comment

Day 5: 211.8#

Wife set a water fasting record for herself too. I’m proud of her whether she lasts or not. And she lost 10 pounds over 3 days. Relative to her size, it exceeds my own in 4 days. Her resolve is weakening. I think seeing those numbers on the scale changed her feelings a bit, but she's probably nearing the end of her fast.

Didn’t believe 200 pounds was realistic. In the back of my mind I hoped for at least 205, but doubted that too. Now it looks within reach. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Day 6: 210.0#

Made it halfway. Also over the hump physically. The lightheadedness got bad on day 4 and I was very sluggish yesterday. I was tempted to take electrolytes, as some sources recommend. But it seems like I’m getting into a stride with this.

My wife broke her fast last night. She stuck with me during the hardest part, but it wasn’t a good time for her. It’s not for me either. It never is. There's always something going on to distract us. This is why people stay fat and sick. It’s why people who get serious go to retreats and fat camps.

On the evening of her day 2, my day 3, we had to do the hardest thing a faster can do. I don’t think she really recovered from it. Still, I’m impressed and grateful for her support.

Comment

Day 7: 208.4
                              Day 8: 207.2

The negative symptoms have tapered off along with the pace of weight loss. I could do this indefinitely. I’d like to try 2+ weeks in the future. I might do it now if I didn’t have a trip planned.

Decided to slightly prolong the refeeding process. Every source says it’s critical to do it with care. In addition to the liquids on day 11, I’ll eat light, simple foods on day 12.

Comment

Working...
                              X