Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veganism for Weight Loss?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Veganism for Weight Loss?

I saw an interesting video on sugar last night that discussed how sugar intake relates to Body Mass Index (BMI). It made the claim that vegans have lower BMI on average – basically they’re not as fat. The study that it referenced is Diet and body mass index in 38000 EPIC-Oxford meat-eaters, fish-eaters, vegetarians and vegans.

I also saw a vlog a few days ago where a guy went vegan for a few years for a skin condition, saw improvement, but also saw a decline in other aspects of his health. He ended up going back to eating meat. I seem to meet a lot of people that have tried it and gone back - maybe more than I meet those presently eating plant-based. It's always curious because some people (like me) feel like a switch to plant-based eating is an awakening and couldn't imagine going back. It's interesting to hear the different ways that people experience this physically and mentally.

Thoughts? Are you a vegan/vegetarian/plant-based eater? Have you tried it? Would you? If you have switched to or from vegetarianism, what changes did you notice in your weight, health, mind, etc.?
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

• I was vegan for about 2 years. I loved it and enjoyed the food (except the challenges of eating out here in KY). But...it did not help my weight. I believe I ingested more carbs and less protein which wasn't great for me. I also noticed a change in my biometrics for the worse. The thing is, I cannot say it was the veganism that did that. I happen to think that a plant based diet is very healthy, if getting adequate protein. Mine could've been pure coincidence.

For me, the bottom line is people should do what makes them the healthiest and feel the best.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
      I was vegan for about 2 years. I loved it and enjoyed the food (except the challenges of eating out here in KY). But...it did not help my weight. I believe I ingested more carbs and less protein which wasn't great for me. I also noticed a change in my biometrics for the worse. The thing is, I cannot say it was the veganism that did that. I happen to think that a plant based diet is very healthy, if getting adequate protein. Mine could've been pure coincidence.

For me, the bottom line is people should do what makes them the healthiest and feel the best.
      I’ve had the opposite experience. My health has improved in almost every way and my weight has decreased, but I also don’t know if any of it can be attributed to veganism.

Comment

• I've shared before my diet and how it's worked for me. In my experience in talking to people about nutrition and their motivations for their diet, there's different types of veganism, and that largely impacts whether there's weight loss associated with this type of diet. It really seems to be dependent on what's driving their dietary choices. My goal wasn't weight loss, yet I lost weight. My goal was improving nutrition and health, so my choices were adding greens, whole foods as pure as I can find, nothing processed. Yet I know many vegans motivated by the animal industry, so their goal is to just not buy or ingest animal products, so they eat in the same manner-the usual fare, just absent animal products. So, tater tots, frozen entrees, fried veggies, cookies, and the like...that is not going to result in weight loss. I know several overweight vegans.
        Some call it junk food veganism.

I think I've said before, that after several months of the diet change, I was feeling much better. I found that I leveled off, and started feeling a sort of dull, weakness that only improved when I added a small amount of meat back. In all my studies, I just believe that meat is good in the diet, just not in the massive amounts we generally are taught is necessary for optimal health. About 2 small portions a week is all I "need".
        Generally, my body operates best fueled by plants. I am inclined to believe that biologically most of us are the same, and we'd all benefit from a higher percentage of plants in our daily diet, over the course of our lifetimes.
        I've found everything works better when I'm eating a healthy diet and exercising. There's not a part of my life that isn't improved. My mental clarity is improved, my energy levels, my attitude (mental health), everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          I know many vegans motivated by the animal industry, so their goal is to just not buy or ingest animal products, so they eat in the same manner-the usual fare, just absent animal products.
          I call them “ethical vegans.” They’re the most popular kind, but I only know them through media. All of the plant-based eaters I know in person are dietary. We get gratification from the environmental, humane, and spiritual aspects of our dietary choices, but the primary motivator is our own preference and health.

Did you ever figure out what it is in meat you were missing without it? I understand BD’s experience. She had a hard time eating out and finding the right balance. A few days ago another ex-vegan I met that answered, “soul food,” when I asked her what knocked her off her diet. I told her to say no more. That makes perfect sense to me.

I went to lunch with some friends today and we ate family style. They had a dozen plates that came out and were sampling, having fun, and getting full. I had some boring white rice and vegetables and started eating 10 minutes after them. It was a bummer because everyone was looking at me sympathetically and the focus was on me when a plate finally came out for me. It’s not always easy being a vegetarian in a meat-eater’s world.

What I don’t get is people like you and the vlogger I mentioned earlier. He, like you, was not a “junk food vegan.” Like you, he was conscientious, but had a negative experience after his initial positive one. As someone that’s only been a vegan for a little over a year and would like to stay one permanently, I’m concerned about that. I always hear about symptoms, but I never hear what’s lacking in plants that causes you all the issues.

Comment

• I'm not sure Still. I now work with a couple PhD nutritionists, and once I get to know them better, I'm going to invite them to lunch and pick their brains.
            one theory I have is that, making a major positive change is going to yield positive results. Dramatically. Once things level off and you catch up, then the downside is revealed, and adjustment has to be done.
            I think I just need that source of protein. All the other protein was just not the same or enough. B12 I had taken in supplements, but I think it's not metabolized the same. The small amount I eat is enough to make the difference, so, it isn't a craving thing.... and it isn't really a highlight of any meal.

I was very ill at that time I switched, fighting the autoimmune disease, so I've wondered if I'd do ok now, if I cut out meat, since I'm generally a bit healthier. I also sort of think that we need that source of protein, and some of us just feel it more intensely than others, when it's absent. I have found that my bod is quite sensitive, and I feel the difference after one or two poor choices... I'm learning to hear what my body is trying to tell me, and even more importantly, respond accordingly.

The past couple months I've made a mess of my diet, honestly, and I feel it. Getting back on track with everything going on in my life, is challenging. But I feel it, and I'm doing the best I can. Joint Pain and fatigue are creeping up on me, and the limp has returned some days... and I am finding that I do better to delay meals than to have a nibble of what's available, usually junk. Food can be like a poison for me it seems. Sugars, dairy and the wrong kinds of fat are just enemies to me.

I've learned...and I've said it many times...nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels.
            There's just nothing to make me go back to living that way.

You probably have a similar mind set. I'm stressed out and life is a mess, but I'm deciding it's better to skip meals and eat a huge bowl of greens at 10pm, than to have even a veggie sub for dinner on the run...
            I carry broccoli, carrots, bananas, berries, apples etc...with me but inevitably I run out by evening.
            I even often go to a grocery store for food rather than eat what's available...but some days, I am just too busy, too tired and want smth hot at work.

Anyway...I hope the holiday season has brought you much joy.
            cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

I’ve had the opposite experience. My health has improved in almost every way and my weight has decreased, but I also don’t know if any of it can be attributed to veganism.
              It's always hard to know. We crazy humans tend to make multiple changes at a time. Maybe we start a new vitamin/supplement, or a new workout routine, or lower stress levels all the while starting a new nutritional plan. THEN, we can't really say which thing caused the negative or positive changes. I'd be more inclined to tie positive changes to increased fitness and nutrition. For me, also while vegan, I went through a terrible loss and began dealing with anxiety and depression. I have NO doubt that negatively affected my biometrics.
              "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Ashlee T I wonder if your friend turned the truth around to others that you were to blame for the friendship fail, to cover the fact that she had treated...

Yesterday, 11:06 PM By secretkeeper
              • Reply to Whats wrong with my sex?!

Would it cause issues suddenly after so long? The doctor placed the mirena when he took my ovary and I was still pretty into sex up until about 2 months...

Yesterday, 07:00 PM By stateofconfusion
              • Mid-Cycle Bleeding

Hi,

Okay, so in November I had a nervous breakdown. Had a normal cycle until February. About day 16-18 I had brown and clumpy spotting, right...

Yesterday, 06:23 PM By almostbritain
              • Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Yes! It sounds like you've sorted this out quite well. It's cliche, but life is too short to spend on things that don't make you happy.

If...

Yesterday, 06:18 PM By Ashlee T.
              • Reply to Whats wrong with my sex?!

It sounds like you have been through SO MUCH over the past couple years, your body AND your mind.

I'm so sorry you went through having to...

Yesterday, 06:08 PM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X