Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

motivation

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously
    curious the date of it because it was shortly after that started to lose weight

remember from that post had no motivation to lose weight and still don't
    don't count calories and eat what I want to like my favorite grilled cheese, tomato, and onion sandwich pretty much every day

reached 20# weight loss finally
    it probably took a year

last night celebrated the 20 lb loss with husband & a trip to get cones
    the vanilla dipped in chocolate was yummy and am still down 20 today!

• Good for you! My weight has not gone down: but if I eat a chocolate bar, have only myself to blame. I am like every other woman on the planet who feels that. I don't gorge on chocolate or anything, but I'm not likely to lose weight eating it. It is very frustrating: because no matter what food I avoid, I stay the same size.

Alas, I shall keep trying. But good on you! You must be very pleased.

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
      can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously
      curious the date of it because it was shortly after that started to lose weight

don't count calories and eat what I want to like my favorite grilled cheese, tomato, and onion sandwich pretty much every day

reached 20# weight loss finally
      it probably took a year

last night celebrated the 20 lb loss with husband & a trip to get cones
      the vanilla dipped in chocolate was yummy and am still down 20 today!
      A single treat isn't likely to boost your weight by much. The problems start when it is the start of a trend.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
        Good for you! My weight has not gone down: but if I eat a chocolate bar, have only myself to blame. I am like every other woman on the planet who feels that. I don't gorge on chocolate or anything, but I'm not likely to lose weight eating it. It is very frustrating: because no matter what food I avoid, I stay the same size.

Alas, I shall keep trying. But good on you! You must be very pleased.
        Have you tried substituting less processed foods for your normal fare?
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I think I know what you mean, but I don’t really believe that’s true, Amy. Can someone that wants something, changes their lifestyle to achieve it, maintains that change for a year, and meets their goals really be described as “lacking motivation?” Do you understand how rare what you’ve done is?

I think that what you’re feeling is that your methods are so simple and effective that it doesn’t take much drive to maintain anymore. It feels good and you’re just cruising along and losing weight, right? But why should having good things in life have to be so complex and difficult that it’s barely attainable? No, you’ve done stuff the right way and you’re winning.

Motivation is something I’ve meditated on a lot over the past couple of years. I recently read that 97% of people that lose weight gain it back. I don’t know how accurate that is, but it’s probably not far from the truth. In the past, I would have seen that as terrifying. Now I see it as encouraging. Because however hard it is, some people have figured out how to do it. What happened to them? What exactly is going on in their heads? What changed? What’s driving them?

I would love to hear your answers to those questions.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
            It is very frustrating: because no matter what food I avoid, I stay the same size.
            P&C
            not avoiding any foods that I want to eat
            but did switch to only dark chocolate which I eat with coffee or tea

the slow weight loss over many months is only because some days I eat only 2 meals/day and when I do that enough, my weight goes down
            my grilled cheese with tomato and onion is my brunch so don't usually eat a separate breakfast and lunch
            try to wait eat that until 11 am and some days even make it to 1 pm
            not hungry when get up so that why it works for me

everyone needs to find what works for them as everyone is different
            don't believe in following anyone else's plan especially because I eat the same foods over and over
            buying some meal plan would never work for me nor counting calories as that would last one day only, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
              What changed? .
              my discovery of these delicious Canadian tomatoes
              plus switching to thin slice cheese
              eating grilled cheese with tomato and onion give me the crunch that I desire plus the "grilled with butter" on the stove is very satisfying so no need to eat anything else until dinner

Comment

some days I eat only 2 meals/day and when I do that enough, my weight goes down...try to wait eat that until 11 am and some days even make it to 1 pm
                Why are you able to do this now? Could you do it before?

Comment

Why are you able to do this now?
                  thinking hard, part of it could be change of schedule
                  before I was sleeping during day when child at school and staying up all night and might have been eating more at night

past school year, there wasn't enough daytime hrs to sleep between bringing child to school & picking up so ended up back on daytime hrs so little late night eating

although other night, couldn't sleep and got up around 3 am and ate guess what.....
                  cheese, tom, onion sand, lol

Comment

• My weight has gone right down now. I suppose this is because I ate only a little yesterday. I am certainly not stuffing my face with treats. I don't eat, eat, eat: I never have. Still, I like the odd chocolate bar. But not eating so many my weight could increase.

I am very sensible: both with food and otherwise.

Comment

thinking hard
                      Yeah, there are so many layers.

When someone asks me how I lost the weight, communicating the answer to them is difficult unless they’ve done it too. That’s why I was curious about your answer. No matter what I say most people don't understand. They say, "Man, you're disciplined!" But, like you, I don't really feel that's true, especially not generally. What I do is simple.

When I hear the stuff that other people do I’m puzzled. They’re counting calories, measuring and limiting macros, weighing themselves nonstop. It’s like you have to be a scientist just to eat. One of my good buddies was trying to get me to count and measure when I was struggling a couple of times, but I get stressed just thinking about it.

One of the things I do notice that’s different about me from most other people and how I used to be is that now I don’t quit. I’m always doing something, planning something, experimenting, and adjusting. I don’t give up when I fail or rest on my laurels when I succeed. Eating a family size bag of potato chips is in line with my goals just like when I fast. I don’t cheat – ever. I may be on idle, but I haven’t been off in over two years. My progress has been slower than a lot of people, but I weighed less in 2017 than I did in 2016. In 2018 I was lighter still. In 2019 I’m even slimmer. I don’t know if I’ll be slimmer in 2020, but I know I can’t go back to how I used to live. That means it's pretty much impossible for me to gain the weight back.

amy40 since you’ve met your goal, what are you going to do now?

Comment

One of the things I do notice that’s different about me from most other people and how I used to be is that now I don’t quit. I’m always doing something, planning something, experimenting, and adjusting. I don’t give up when I fail or rest on my laurels when I succeed. Eating a family size bag of potato chips is in line with my goals just like when I fast. I don’t cheat – ever. I may be on idle, but I haven’t been off in over two years. My progress has been slower than a lot of people, but I weighed less in 2017 than I did in 2016. In 2018 I was lighter still. In 2019 I’m even slimmer. I don’t know if I’ll be slimmer in 2020, but I know I can’t go back to how I used to live. That means it's pretty much impossible for me to gain the weight back.
                        Persistence is how to achieve a lot of things. When I was learning Thai as an adult I noticed that the one thing I did different was continuing to show up for class no matter how little I was learning. It took a lot of time but I eventually got fairly good at it. I would see a lot of new faces hitting the books hard and expecting results in a fairly short time. They would end up quitting after becoming frustrated. Acceptance of the situation and putting up with the process was the key for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

Persistence is how to achieve a lot of things. When I was learning Thai as an adult I noticed that the one thing I did different was continuing to show up for class no matter how little I was learning. It took a lot of time but I eventually got fairly good at it. I would see a lot of new faces hitting the books hard and expecting results in a fairly short time. They would end up quitting after becoming frustrated. Acceptance of the situation and putting up with the process was the key for me.
                          I wish persistence in one area was instantly transferable to others. My Chinese still stinks. It's getting better just because I use it so much, but I've been really lazy with progressing. One of my friends texted me "OK" the other day and I couldn't even understand it. It's embarrassing.

It's the same with my home and career. I've been imagining myself showing the same diligence in these other areas as I have with my health, but I haven't connected what's in my mind to real activity.

Comment

amy40 since you’ve met your goal, what are you going to do now?
                            the biggest thing now is to not gain it back

lost 20# a number of years ago when younger and took only two months
                            this time it took a year or more

don't want to go through this again!

Comment

the biggest thing now is to not gain it back

lost 20# a number of years ago when younger and took only two months
                              this time it took a year or more

don't want to go through this again!
                              Yeah, I don't know how long it took me to gain it back when I lost weight the first time. I think weighing myself once a week has been important so that I don't lose sight of where I am this time.

I probably need to start tracking goals elsewhere in my life.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X