Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you reading right now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I'm reading "The Japanese Wife" by Kunal Basu.

They made a movie of this story but I can't find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.
    ― Bodhidharma

Comment

• The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly

Comment

• Just finishing The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - been on my list for a while and really enjoyed it

Comment

• Dean Koontz' Dark Rivers of the Heart
          "I make sure I do my best, because it is always worth it, no matter what you want to achieve in life."
          ANDREIA BRAZIER

Comment

• I'm reading 'A catcher in the rye' Yes it's a very old book, but it's hard to put down because it's so well written and very interesting.

Comment

• I'm currently reading "King Leopold's Ghost: a story of greed, terror and heroism in Colonial Africa".

It's by Adam Hochschild of U Cal-Berkeley.

I can't put it down!

Comment

• I downloaded the book 'soul survivor' this morning, it sounded interesting.

Comment

• Just finishing Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Pretty good overall. Not what I expected.

Comment

• It's not november, but i suddenly remembered these first lines from Truman Capote's story 'A Christmas Memory':

"Imagine a morning in late November. A coming of winter morning more than twenty years ago."

Comment

• Just finished reading Eat Pray Love for the umpteenth time.... Next up: the Family Fang! I think they are making a movie out of it, or are still filming? Anyways, I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

• Weird. This is mostly female forum, and I haven't seen -many- worthy books by and, sometimes, for girls and women. So, from a male perspective, a few recommendations.

Middle brow and "books women usually read"
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stephanie Koontz: Marriage
                        David Buss & all: Why Women want Sex ?
                        Anything by Sophia Kinsella
                        Jill Abrams: something about infidelity, I forgot the title

Worthy stuff
                        ++++++++
                        Novels and interviews by Marguerite Yourcenar
                        Jeanette Winterson: The Passion
                        Willa Cather: all her stuff
                        Simone de Beauvoir: The Second Sex
                        Virginia Woolf: Diaries
                        and, for a refreshment (although sometimes dry)
                        Harvey Mansfield: Manliness

For readable classics that transcend gender and widen your horizons, it's simple: Voltaire: Candide, Chekhov (Ionych, My Life, ...all short stories), Tolstoy (The Death of Ivan Ilych), D.H.Lawrence (Sons and Lovers), Knut Hamsun (Hunger), William Faulkner (The Wild Palms), Dostoevsky (Gentle Creature, Notes from the Underground, Dream of a Ridiculous Person,..), Melville (Bartleby the Scrivener), Philip Roth (The Human Stain), ...

Enjoy.

Comment

• FWIW - That's just the problem, it's a list from a male perspective. Many of us have read the classics and read books by notable authors however, apart from suggesting a book based on personal taste you are basing the books on your perception of what a woman would want to read. Quite frankly I don't see that many of us on this forum need to be told by you that we need to widen our horizons - from a female perspective.

Oh and we do have a number of very well read, intelligent males on this forum and they probably have their own reading list - if asked.
                          That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                            FWIW - That's just the problem, it's a list from a male perspective. Many of us have read the classics and read books by notable authors however, apart from suggesting a book based on personal taste you are basing the books on your perception of what a woman would want to read. Quite frankly I don't see that many of us on this forum need to be told by you that we need to widen our horizons - from a female perspective.

Oh and we do have a number of very well read, intelligent males on this forum and they probably have their own reading list - if asked.
                            No, if it were from a male perspective, then Sun Tzu, Boccaccio, Joseph Conrad, Montaigne, Freud, C.G. Jung, Tacitus, Marcus Aurelius, Plato, Thomas Mann, Robert Musil, William Faulkner, Gibbon, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Hans Eysenck ... would be on the list.

I just noticed that world class female authors- Lady Murasaki, Sei Shinagon, Mme de Sevigne, Marguerite Yourcenar, Willa Cather, Virginia Woolf, George Eliot, Sigrid Undset, Flannery O'Connor, ... were not mentioned.

Comment

• OMG, no one asked.
                              That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                                OMG, no one asked.
                                ? These Zen answers are beyond me....

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X