Why can't straight men find other men attractive?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't straight men find other men attractive?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Why can't straight men find other men attractive?

It just so stupid, if a female finds another one attractive or even "hot", nobody even notices. But if a MALE---God forbid, even happens to mention he finds another guy "nice-looking", his peers are quick to brand him queer. I'm not anti-homosexual, but really, what's with this?

Girls and guys, feel free to share your thoughts!

• It'd be nice to gossip with a straight guy about how hot another guy is.. Not all cultures are like ours, though... I lived in Korea for a bit where if a blond blue-eyed foreign guy walked past, all the Korean girls AND GUYS would "ooh" and "ahh" over him and his purty looks.

It's sort of how women can wear dresses AND pants, but guys can only wear pants... Or women can wear make-up or go bare-faced, but guys don't really have that option either. Yeah we're seeing a bit of a change but it's minuscule at the moment.

I think it has a lot to do with how women and men have been perceived through the ages. Think about it - the female body has been sexualized for so long, that it's considered "normal" for EVERYONE to be attracted to females. Rarely have there been hot male bods advertising drinks, sports wear, etc.

Anyway this is probably a deeper topic than my brain can handle!

Comment

• Well, I'd agree with you to a great extent, you're probably right, that is. :P

Also, I don't think that straight guys do not notice other guys at all..because its not quite rarely do you hear one guy saying to his buddy about how "Females would be all ova ya". :P

I'm from India where a large chunk of the population (sadly) is uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality, and yet guys traditionally don't have a problem talking un-self-consciously about how good another male looks. Contradictions, yeah? :P

Comment

• Definitely. Same in Korea! I don't know, humans are weird.

Comment

• That has been a mystery for YEARS. lol
          No one will ever know. I doubt it will ever change either. It's just society.
          "Hurt myself again today and the worst part is there's no one else to blame."

Comment

• I find some men beautiful the same as I might find a horse or a painting appealing to the eye. But, I found out a long time ago that women are seeing different things than I'm seeing because I don't see men sexually. I think that women are simply prettier and that prettiness makes them attractive. Everybody knows pretty. I don't think that it's as simple with manly attraction. So a woman may find ruggedness attractive. While that may be manly and therefore attractive to a woman that wants manliness, it's not really pretty. A heterosexual man can really only appreciate it on an intellectual level.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I can tell when I think a man is handsome or good looking. I don't find them attractive the way I find women attractive because I'm not gay. I've kissed a man, so I KNOW I'm not gay.

If a girl kisses or even goes further, then she's merely 'experimented', if a man experiments with another man, just once, he's branded gay forever. How's that for a double standard?
              "The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you will ever look" [I]Julius Caesar[/I]

Comment

• I'm a 31 year old guy and I do sometimes see other young men that I find attractive.

Comment

• Most of the time I think that if someone acts that way I believe they are insecure about their own sexual orientation..

Comment

• I don;t think it is that men don't find other men attractive, it is more that they are loath to admit they think another man is attractive.

Finding someone attractive isn't always or only about sexual attraction, one of the most attractive qualities we can find in another is that they make is feel attractive and/or better about ourselves.
                    No matter how objective we try to be, we all see through our own eyes...

Comment

• Interesting topic. I myself will make comments about another guy in front of frineds. Yes get many looks, but simply reply to them with "What are you blind? Look at the women staring at him" usually shuts them up. I can tell you many men that have an issue with this are yet to be comfortable with their own sexuality. Like Bladyn's Mommy said. Like they have to prove to others that they are straight. As far as myself , straight, Ive explored that bi - curiousness and will admit it with no shame. However, doing so has given me the advantage to know, to experience, and to help others realize in fact what they are feeling. In short....once again it is our society that pushes such thoughts and ideas into our heads.
                      If you're not learning you're not living!

Comment

• Guys see other guys and know which ones are handsome and which ones are not. But really what they know are the personality flaws the other guys have. They cannot see personality flaws when beautiful women come around, but they can see such flaws in other men. Such flaws take a handsome guy and brand him a loser, such as "I cannot believe she is going out with such a loser." Women are also able to spot personality flaws in other women, but they may not apply branding so harshly.
                        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• If there is a spectrum I think I'm very far towards the hetero end. The first hing that comes to my mind when I think "handsome" is facial and body hair. I can find other features attractive too. But, it's the same feeling I have when I see a dog with a beautiful, shiny coat and a good form. I find some men's beauty striking and awe-inspiring. It's rare, but it happens. It's still not what a woman is seeing. It's not sexual. I find men extremely sexually repulsive. I could not kiss or experiment with a man any more than I could with the dog or a sleek sports car. A lot of times when I ask my wife if a man I think is handsome is attractive to her she'll say no. Then she'll tell me some guy I think is ugly is and attractive. I'm frequently puzzled by what she and other women like or dislike.

Muscular men is one of the confusing things. While I admire muscles, women seem to be generally turned off by them past a certain point. And I don't get women who like hairless men. Isn't hair masculine? It seems the equivalent to a man not liking breasts or smooth skin. Most of the time I don't think about it until a woman says something or the guy is supposed to be a ladies man in a movie. And if I do have those thoughts it's mostly curiosity and puzzlement as to what women think. On the other hand, even a lot of women who other men say are ugly are attractive to me.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong if other men can appreciate things about men that I can't or if I can appreciate all manner of feminine loveliness. We're all different. I'm not a homophobe or insecure because I'm a strict vaginatarian.
                          "Those sowing seed with tears
                          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• It's funny really in a way... Women look at other women in awe at wanting to be like them, based on the media and how it dictakes.

Then, no offense we have beautiful bodies So, again women look and admire.

I am sure that a straight man will do the same thing, look at a guy and go "cool" or "awesome" the pecks, the erherm, the eyes, the beauty in his face, but he may question, why? In-security? Of himself?

But I am sure he looks.

The rest is selfishness of not accepting bi of a woman, or gay, verses gay men, for what ever reason it's taboo I say IT IS NOT.

Love is love.
                            PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                              If there is a spectrum I think I'm very far towards the hetero end. The first hing that comes to my mind when I think "handsome" is facial and body hair. I can find other features attractive too. But, it's the same feeling I have when I see a dog with a beautiful, shiny coat and a good form. I find some men's beauty striking and awe-inspiring. It's rare, but it happens. It's still not what a woman is seeing. It's not sexual. I find men extremely sexually repulsive. I could not kiss or experiment with a man any more than I could with the dog or a sleek sports car. A lot of times when I ask my wife if a man I think is handsome is attractive to her she'll say no. Then she'll tell me some guy I think is ugly is and attractive. I'm frequently puzzled by what she and other women like or dislike.

Muscular men is one of the confusing things. While I admire muscles, women seem to be generally turned off by them past a certain point. And I don't get women who like hairless men. Isn't hair masculine? It seems the equivalent to a man not liking breasts or smooth skin. Most of the time I don't think about it until a woman says something or the guy is supposed to be a ladies man in a movie. And if I do have those thoughts it's mostly curiosity and puzzlement as to what women think. On the other hand, even a lot of women who other men say are ugly are attractive to me.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong if other men can appreciate things about men that I can't or if I can appreciate all manner of feminine loveliness. We're all different. I'm not a homophobe or insecure because I'm a strict vaginatarian.
                              I must be argumentive today haha But couldn't help but to comment. Opinions, you have to love them. Do you know that in many cases what you consider "what women are seeing" isn't at all what you think. Most women ( and ladies correct me if I'm wrong ) don't instantly go sexual. Secondly I would question a woman's honesty when it came to whether or not she thought a guy was attractive. Is it possible a woman would go directly the opposite knowing it would make their man more comfortable. Lastly just an fyi, well over 80% of men experimenting with the whole bi thing never kiss the other guy. where as to women it is almost an automatic. Probably not so much fyi for you as TMI. But I think we all agree it is very much so a personal liking, taste, different things for different folks! haha Have a good day all !
                              If you're not learning you're not living!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X