• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joel Osteen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Osteen

Anyone have any opinions to share about the publicity on this man recently?

My feeling is that it is a witch hunt.

Storm 8/26 and 8/27

Shelters on 8/28 (houstonpublicmedia)
    RED CROSS SHELTERS
    Houston – MO Campbell Education Center – Aldine Bender Rd
    Galveston. Bay Harbor Methodist Church
    Sealy — Knights of Columbus on Hwy 90 west..
    Richmond – Sacred Heart Catholic Church..
    Pasadena — Golden Acres Baptist Church Tomball — First Baptist Church on Oxford Street.
    Huntsville — Walker County Storm Shelter on State Highway 75 N. and Huntsville High School on F-M 2821 ..
    HOUSTON
    Islamic Center/Masjid Al-Mustafa: 17250 Coventry Park Dr, Houston, TX
    Islamic Center/Masjid Al-Sabireen: 610 Brand Lane, Stafford TX
    Islamic Center/Masjid Abu-Bakr: 8830 Old Galveston Rd, Houston TX
    George R. Brown Convention Center: 1001 Avenida De Las Americas, Houston, TX
    Officials say they have opened nine shelters throughout the area to assist.
    FRIENDSWOOD
    The City Activities Building: 416 Morningside Drive, Friendswood, TX
    BASTROP COUNTY
    First United Methodist Church Shelter: 1201 Main St., Bastrop City, TX
    BRAZORIA COUNTY
    Angleton ISD: 1900 N. Downing, Angleton, TX
    Red Cross Shelter at Living Stone Church: 1401 Victory Lane, Alvin, TX
    HARRIS COUNTY
    MO Campbell Center Shelter: 1865 Aldine Bender in District 2
    Gallery Furniture 6006 North Freeway Houston, TX 77076

On 8/29 Olsteen said Lakewood Church had open doors (nytimes)
    also, schools had open doors on 8/29 (texastribune)

Where is the list of government buildings open other than those listed? There should be hundreds of them.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

He's a rich, popular, pretty boy claiming to represent Jesus. A lot of people (including me) don't like what they see as a watered down Christianity and others don't like his expressions on hot button issues like abortion or homosexuality. That's a recipe to have people gunning for you, looking for anything to criticize you over.

Snopes has an article on it and did find some validity to the claims against him on this issue, but also found truth to his claims that the facility was flooded.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
        He's a rich, popular, pretty boy claiming to represent Jesus.
        his father was a southern Baptist preacher until he started his own church
        Joel Osteen was always asked by his father to preach but he didn't want to but preferred to work behind the scenes and did so

until he finally agreed to one day and then his dad passed away shortly afterwards
        he really did not want to preach at all but then decided to take over after his dad died

he chooses to focus on the positive rather than hell and brimstone and hasn't taken a salary from the church in years but has made money on his books

I had listened to him a few times on tv when he told his background story and that he hadn't wanted to preach.

Last edited by amy40; 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM. Reason: removed non olsteen stuff

Comment

Amy, I really appreciate the stuff you shared. I don't know much of anything about Olsteen and what you mention endears me to him. I'd never seen or heard anything from him until last night when I watched a few videos and I actually liked and agreed with some of what I saw him saying. I see why people are charmed by him.

I recognize in hindsight that the comment you quote from me could sound negative, but I didn't mean it that way. I meant it as an explanation for why a lot of people are looking for a reason to find something on him. I don't think that wealth, popularity, wanting to look good, or claiming Christ are bad things.

Also, the biblical message is good news. It should be presented positively. As someone that doesn't believe in hellfire, I definitely don't believe that talk of it is part of the gospel. But starting with John the Baptizer, continuing with Jesus himself, Peter, Paul, and all the apostles and disciples, the good news contains warnings of destruction and a strong call to repentance. And really, they're all following the pattern set from the earlier Scriptures. I don't see how you can have a Christian message without those things.

One of my best friends in the world, my father, is a prosperity preacher, so I admit to having a softer spot for them than most who view their message as “Christianity-lite.” I don't believe that their message makes them bad people or that they'd close their doors on someone in need. My father wouldn't. My guess is that Joel Olsteen did not either. I was supiscious of the claim that he did as soon as I heard it.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I think many people find joy in criticizing anyone who has a message different from their own.

Honestly I can't stand this guy. I don't like him or his message, but I cannot understand why there's a need to rush to decide whether he did more than others.

I would have no way of knowing what he did, when and I'm not going to presume he did more or less than any other concerned person, simply because I don't like him.

I saw a lot of posts and pics claiming proof going both ways.
            It's exhausting to me, that this is what we do. This is how we treat those people who we dislike and disagree with.

Personally, I've always thought he was a bit slimy. I don't know him tho. I have no idea what he does in his community. I really don't care.
            Should he do more just because he is claiming to be a man of God?
            Idk...
            Idk what standards we hold some people to and why.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
              Idk what standards we hold some people to and why.
              we often do put OUR expectations on others

if we have too high expectations for others as well as ourselves, we will always be disappointed
              Last edited by amy40; 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I can't believe I am going to write this, but I have never heard of the man. What is his deal? I will Google it and get back to you!

Comment

Working...
                X